Hunting with and without suppressor?

Another question if you guys are hiking in the rain or snow do you guys cover the end of the suppressor with anything? What do you recommend? Also I see guys running covers over the suppressor do you guys recommend those?
Please show us your setup so we can provide you with a better recommendation.

There are more expensive ones, but I use this: https://triadtactical.com/triad-padded-scope-and-muzzle-cover/. I have the top one.

1713623503417.png

I recommend the suppressor wrap if you are referring to it. However, it will not protect the muzzle from debris.

Last edited:
Another question if you guys are hiking in the rain or snow do you guys cover the end of the suppressor with anything? What do you recommend? Also I see guys running covers over the suppressor do you guys recommend those?
I usually keep about 10 wraps of electric tape around the barrel, close to the muzzle. Pull off a long strip, put it over the muzzle or can opening, wrapping it down on the can or muzzle (if no can) and another strip goes around that to secure it.

If you shoot multiple times, that tape around the can will melt though. Take this advice with that warning.

Last edited:
Most definitely get a suppressor cover. It will protect any finish on the can, and more importantly eliminate mirage for follow up shots. My titanium cans get bad mirage with one shot without a cover. Also, if you're in brush or timber the cover will muffle sounds if the suppressor comes in contact with anything. Don't need a metallic ting while still hunting timber.

I put electric tape on the end of my cans just like I would a bare muzzle, it blows off the same and doesn't affect point of impact.

I would like a suppressor wrap/protector for these cans . I recently tried to order a Dilligent Defense S-ti but my local shop said they couldn't get one so I settled for the Silencerco Omega 300 and then days later I was able to order the DD S-ti so I ended up with both. And the form 4 paperwork cleared on both within a few days. I just need to find who makes a good wrap, I would like to protect finish and mirage.
IMG_1764.jpeg
IMG_1767.jpeg

I've gotten to the point I'm not interested in hunting without a suppressor. Taken it so far as my long barrel is 22" and my short is 11.3". I'm a huge fan of the shorter rifles.

As for the wrap, personal preference. I have some with and some without. It does more for mirage at the range than hunting. Meaning I've either got a pile of animals or a rodeo if I've shot more than twice.

Good luck!

I don't recommend suppressor covers while packing just I don't think you'll shoot enough to need the mirage suppression. But I have put my hunter orange beanie on the end with a rubber band and I've seen people running electrical tape on the end as well

I would like a suppressor wrap/protector for these cans . I recently tried to order a Dilligent Defense S-ti but my local shop said they couldn't get one so I settled for the Silencerco Omega 300 and then days later I was able to order the DD S-ti so I ended up with both. And the form 4 paperwork cleared on both within a few days. I just need to find who makes a good wrap, I would like to protect finish and mirage.View attachment 565382View attachment 565383
I put a Cole tac 7.5" cover on my S-Ti! It's slightly longer but the .25" over hang protects the ends in my mind. Thats the can I was referring to that gets mirage from one shot on a 300 win mag or wsm. I'd never hunt without a cover on it for that reason. Not to mention the shiny, raw finish! Could prolly signal airplanes with that thing

I would like a suppressor wrap/protector for these cans . I recently tried to order a Dilligent Defense S-ti but my local shop said they couldn't get one so I settled for the Silencerco Omega 300 and then days later I was able to order the DD S-ti so I ended up with both. And the form 4 paperwork cleared on both within a few days. I just need to find who makes a good wrap, I would like to protect finish and mirage.View attachment 565382View attachment 565383
What I provided in #15 will work even with a suppressor wrap. Your suppressor maker or dealer might have a wrap specifically made or universal for your suppressor.

I have seen deer stand there. Even after someone shot more than once.
I shot a couple 308 rounds one day_tha t was loaded down for a suppressor.
I had to raise my rifle site 5" above target just to hit the target.
The deer won't run if you hit them with the first shot. No way will I trade off 2800 fps for a 1200 fps .308 bullet.

Pretty sure those were subsonic loads which are different than what is being discussed. You can use your same hunting ammo with a suppressor and get the same performance without the blast.

Pretty sure those were subsonic loads which are different than what is being discussed. You can use your same hunting ammo with a suppressor and get the same performance without the blast.
No, I too have seen Whitetail stand there after a shot. Red Deer, Aoudad and Antelope too. All supersonic.

The deer in my profile was a free range deer. The dozen does around him jumped, then went right back to eating.

Last month, I was hunting Aoudad in W Texas. (Not me shooting) Three shots at an Aoudad Ram at 150 and he only moved 20-30 yards between shots.

Game behaves differently when you remove that muzzle blast sound.

Question for you guys, suppressors on my hunting rigs is new to me and now that I have a few cans I want to plan for this coming hunting season. My question is do any of you guys hunt with and without the suppressor on the same trip? I may have a deer hunt this year in an area that is big and wide open in some areas where a guy could glass up a buck and take a longer range shot without hiking all day. And there is other terrain that has timber and brush that I may not want the added length and weight of the suppressor. So I would like to be able to do both but do not want to have to re-zero if I go back and forth. Any solutions or ideas? I have a Kestrel 5700 I believe has a "zero offset" feature that might cover what I'm asking but not positive.
We shoot .223 and 6.5 - .260 Rem with and without suppressor and do not notice a POI change.