Hunting with and without suppressor?

huntoregon

Question for you guys, suppressors on my hunting rigs is new to me and now that I have a few cans I want to plan for this coming hunting season. My question is do any of you guys hunt with and without the suppressor on the same trip? I may have a deer hunt this year in an area that is big and wide open in some areas where a guy could glass up a buck and take a longer range shot without hiking all day. And there is other terrain that has timber and brush that I may not want the added length and weight of the suppressor. So I would like to be able to do both but do not want to have to re-zero if I go back and forth. Any solutions or ideas? I have a Kestrel 5700 I believe has a "zero offset" feature that might cover what I'm asking but not positive.

Get a shorter rifle.

There really is no need to remove it, it's worth dealing with it, over going without.

Game reacts differently to a shot w a can. I dropped my rangefinder on an Antelope stalk and overestimated the distance and shot over him … twice.

That buck stuck around after me launching two over his back. An Antelope!

Deer jump and then go back to feeding after a shot. Only a pig will get out of town after a suppressed shot. They are wise to it now!

Keep the can on.

Get a shorter rifle.

There really is no need to remove it, it's worth dealing with it, over going without.

Game reacts differently to a shot w a can. I dropped my rangefinder on an Antelope stalk and overestimated the distance and shot over him … twice.

Deer jump and then go back to feeding after a shot. Only a pig will get out of town after a suppressed shot. They are wise to it now!

Keep the can on.
Good advice. In addition, I suggest you look at a compact suppressor like a TBAC Dominus CB or CGS HYPERION K 762, they are a bit shorter and lighter. They give up a little in sound suppression but they will still take the sharp crack out of the report and are much handier in the field. I have a Dominus on my 20" 6.5 CM and it is hearing safe (for a couple of shots) and easy to handle, even in a box blind.

Get a shorter rifle.

Keep the can on.
I have seen deer stand there. Even after someone shot more than once.
I shot a couple 308 rounds one day_tha t was loaded down for a suppressor.
I had to raise my rifle site 5" above target just to hit the target.
The deer won't run if you hit them with the first shot. No way will I trade off 2800 fps for a 1200 fps .308 bullet.

I have seen deer stand there. Even after someone shot more than once.
I shot a couple 308 rounds one day_tha t was loaded down for a suppressor.
I had to raise my rifle site 5" above target just to hit the target.
The deer won't run if you hit them with the first shot. No way will I trade off 2800 fps for a 1200 fps .308 bullet.
There is no need to "load down for a suppressor" unless you're trying to go subsonic and completely eliminate the "crack" of breaking the sound barrier. I wouldn't do that either. I'm running full velocity loads through all of my suppressors, and most of them actually gain 15-25 fps with the can on.

As others have stated, with the benefit of how game is far less spooky after a shot with the can, and the benefit of not damaging your hearing, my cans stay on my guns unless I'm hunting in Canada or a State that doesn't allow them.

All great points here, I did an elk hunt in open/ dense country and I had a 26 in barrel with a 6 inch can and I'll be honest it wasn't as bad as I thought. The suppressor saves your ears and your buddies which is most important. Allows for better spotter shooter communication and like many have said it may allow for a follow up shot on game. Some people have different opinions on that one but in my opinion it makes everything better. Taking the can on and off in most cases gives you that POI shift which you can account for. But leave it on, pack according and or build a rifle that's a touch shorter if need be. My 300 wm is affectionately known as the broom stick since the 26in barrel and suppressor make it rather long lol.

I ride a 4 wheeler several miles through some dense brush to a hunting spot, so I leave mine off until I get set up. I transport it in my pack. I'm usually where I need to be well before I can legally hunt in a stand and the same if I spot and stalk. I much prefer hunting with a suppressor for all the reasons posted

Out of the 20 rifles I own, only two are unsuppressed. A 7RM that is the family loaner rifle, and my 28 Nosler (just because I can't draw an elk tag to save my life so I haven't bothered to swap the brake for the suppressor yet).

I personally won't hunt without a suppressor anymore. Benefits far outweighs the detriments. Run the can and deal with the added weight/length. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
Another question if you guys are hiking in the rain or snow do you guys cover the end of the suppressor with anything? What do you recommend? Also I see guys running covers over the suppressor do you guys recommend those?

Recent Posts