Hunting scope in the $400 range?

Just returned from a hunting for a maral and roe deer. Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 has proved again its relability and precision. The roe was taken on 450 m. Love this optic...

Thanks for the input,

I am starting to replenish the scope fund jar so I will have a little time to handle all the prospects.

Cheers

I have several Vortex scopes and 2 Nikon Monarchs. You should know that the Monarchs have a lot less elevation / windage adjustment, especially anything with a bell less than 50mm in diameter. Also, the way the turret knobs have been done on the Monarch 3 scopes, if you pull up on them, they will spin free so it is very easy to loose zero. This now seems to be the norm on all the Nikon scopes, including the M223 and M308 versions. So I will no longer support Nikon with such an idiotic execution of a turret.

I routinely use my scope in winter, last winter in temperatures of -40F with wind chill... Have not had a problem with function. Fogging the lenses under such conditions, well...

I have several Vortex scopes and 2 Nikon Monarchs. You should know that the Monarchs have a lot less elevation / windage adjustment, especially anything with a bell less than 50mm in diameter. Also, the way the turret knobs have been done on the Monarch 3 scopes, if you pull up on them, they will spin free so it is very easy to loose zero. This now seems to be the norm on all the Nikon scopes, including the M223 and M308 versions. So I will no longer support Nikon with such an idiotic execution of a turret.

I routinely use my scope in winter, last winter in temperatures of -40F with wind chill... Have not had a problem with function. Fogging the lenses under such conditions, well...

Thant good to know, I have been considering the Monarch with the XR? turrets

in that price range id look at a 2x7 or 3x9 vx2 leupold or a 2x8 or 2x10 Nikon monarch. I own a few of each and there both pretty darned good hunting scopes.

I personally cant imagine using a 10x scope at 500 yards or more, but on the other hand if one is hunting Elk or Moose your target is a lot bigger than a coyote..... I have owned scopes up to 7x power and while they are better than open sights, it is not what I would choose for long range.

Perhaps 10x is OK for youthful military snipers at peak health, but not for me when I'm pushing 50... And I have had crappy eyesight all my life...

ive shot whitetail at over 500 yards with a straight 6x scope and never thought at the time that I wish I could have more power. Maybe if I had more I would have turned it up before the hunt but at the time of the shot turning up a scope doesn't cross my mind. Im more concerned about trigger control then anything else. We do crop damage shooting every year and I use a number of guns and scopes. A close shot is 300 yards and lots of shots are in the 400 plus range with an occasional close in 200 yard shot. When I leave my truck my scopes are usually set around 7-10 power depending on where im hunting and the exact gun im using. Im more concerned about field of view and having eye relief that insures when I throw the gun up I have the whole field of view and some scopes don't work well for long range shooting when it comes to quick shots because eye relief suffers so badly at higher powers and not all scopes can be mounted far enough back to insure this and still be far enough forward to insure that if I have to take a prone shot im not going to wear the scope. Those kinds of distractions are ok for paper shooters but I don't want them in the game field and would gladly give up some magnification to not have to worry about them. Personally I wouldn't consider anything over 12x unless I was in a set up blind with a rock solid rest and knew where the animals were coming out. to many people think that magnification buys you accuracy and the true fact is that it can sometimes be as much of a hindrance as it can an advantage

ive shot whitetail at over 500 yards with a straight 6x scope and never thought at the time that I wish I could have more power. Maybe if I had more I would have turned it up before the hunt but at the time of the shot turning up a scope doesn't cross my mind. Im more concerned about trigger control then anything else. We do crop damage shooting every year and I use a number of guns and scopes. A close shot is 300 yards and lots of shots are in the 400 plus range with an occasional close in 200 yard shot. When I leave my truck my scopes are usually set around 7-10 power depending on where im hunting and the exact gun im using. Im more concerned about field of view and having eye relief that insures when I throw the gun up I have the whole field of view and some scopes don't work well for long range shooting when it comes to quick shots because eye relief suffers so badly at higher powers and not all scopes can be mounted far enough back to insure this and still be far enough forward to insure that if I have to take a prone shot im not going to wear the scope. Those kinds of distractions are ok for paper shooters but I don't want them in the game field and would gladly give up some magnification to not have to worry about them. Personally I wouldn't consider anything over 12x unless I was in a set up blind with a rock solid rest and knew where the animals were coming out. to many people think that magnification buys you accuracy and the true fact is that it can sometimes be as much of a hindrance as it can an advantage
Fully support. For me the wide feild of view and quick catching a target are much more important on hunting rather than big magnification.

for under $400.00 a Burris fulfield 3X9X40
I have 1 one my 7rm (since new Sept 2007) over 1100 rnds down the tube it has never lost zero and the light transmition is excellent.

The amazing thing is that the most common magnification range for popular "high end" long range scopes is 5-20x. Clearly 6-10x shooters will have lots of options but it is not for me.

I use 16x when taking the actual shot (typically have the scope at 6x to match my binoculars before anything is sighted) and when using my 6-24 I usually dial up to about 20x since the exit pupil is a bit small at 24x. If one has enough time, one can use all of the magnification, if not, it is easier to use less. I certainly will not be taking 500 yards shots from a standing position (throwing up the rifle) and have no issue adjusting the magnification when shooting prone. The vitals on a coyote are 4-5" at best so it is a smaller target and they are very well camoflaged. I will take all the help I can get..

because most of the scopes your referring to are for shooting small groups at a 1000 yards or hitting small varmints at 400 not big game hunting.
The amazing thing is that the most common magnification range for popular "high end" long range scopes is 5-20x. Clearly 6-10x shooters will have lots of options but it is not for me.

I use 16x when taking the actual shot (typically have the scope at 6x to match my binoculars before anything is sighted) and when using my 6-24 I usually dial up to about 20x since the exit pupil is a bit small at 24x. If one has enough time, one can use all of the magnification, if not, it is easier to use less. I certainly will not be taking 500 yards shots from a standing position (throwing up the rifle) and have no issue adjusting the magnification when shooting prone. The vitals on a coyote are 4-5" at best so it is a smaller target and they are very well camoflaged. I will take all the help I can get..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.