Hunting scope 500-700 yards FFP under $800

So your saying i shouldnt buy a scope under $800 for hunting 5-700 yards.
raccoon-yes.gif

Fixed SWFA scopes for the win. Just kidding lol. I have the fixed SWFA scopes but there are better options. For a cheap, tough, dialable scope they are fine. I'd just get whatever you can afford. Me at 60 years old, and extremely out of shape, I'm not as sure footed as I once was. I place a premium of scope toughness. Which is why I opted for the cheap SWFA's. If I had the money I'd be getting a NF, probably an ATACR.

Crimson Trace Series 2 or Series 5.

Both can be had for under $800.

I have a Series 2.
Kinda heavy, but illumination does that.
With all my other scopes being 2nd focal plane, the 1st focal plane takes some getting used to.
Glass is excellent!!
Controls run smoothly (something I can't say about the Burris scopes I have).

I have a Series 2.
With all my other scopes being 2nd focal plane, the 1st focal plane takes some getting used to.
Glass is excellent!!
Those are discontinued.

I have a Series 2.
Glass is excellent!!
I was fortunate enough to snag two from Midway a few years ago before they were discontinued. IIRC, they were on sale for either $299 or $399 each. So far, so good.
Crimson Trace 2 4-16x50 1 of 3.jpg

Crimson Trace 2 4-16x50 #2.jpg

Crimson Trace 2 4-16x50 x two.jpg

Fixed SWFA scopes for the win. Just kidding lol. I have the fixed SWFA scopes but there are better options. For a cheap, tough, dialable scope they are fine. I'd just get whatever you can afford. Me at 60 years old, and extremely out of shape, I'm not as sure footed as I once was. I place a premium of scope toughness. Which is why I opted for the cheap SWFA's. If I had the money I'd be getting a NF, probably an ATACR.
I love my 10x i have on my 308 builds.

I use an Arken SH-4 Gen 2 on my Remington 700 AAC-SD. I use this with 168gr .308subs and have used it to take headshots on targets super quietly up to 125yds so far. Since I'm shooting subsonic at 1040fps, the reticle really helps me with bullet drop. I know exactly where the bullet will fall per line, and I use them to make very quick shots. The scope is heavy, but the glass is great and allows a lot of light in which helps an aging man like me.

259D3191-3F22-4CF1-8508-0773B9DCEDCB.JPG
IMG_0313.jpg

I use an Arken SH-4 Gen 2 on my Remington 700 AAC-SD. I use this with 168gr .308subs and have used it to take headshots on targets super quietly up to 125yds so far. Since I'm shooting subsonic at 1040fps, the reticle really helps me with bullet drop. I know exactly where the bullet will fall per line, and I use them to make very quick shots. The scope is heavy, but the glass is great and allows a lot of light in which helps an aging man like me.

View attachment 572669View attachment 572670
I just wish they had different reticles. 👎

Element Helix 2-16x50 HD
  • 30mm Main Body Tube
  • 8x Zoom Optical System
  • Compact, Lightweight design
  • Second Focal Plane Reticle
  • Aircraft Grade Aluminum
  • Side Parallax: 10m-Infinity
  • Fully Multi-Coated Lenses with HD Glass
  • Tool-Free Exposed Elevation Turret, Capped Windage Turret
  • Zero Stop
  • Removable Magnification Throw Lever
  • Waterproof, Fogproof, Shockproof & Nitrogen Purged
  • Sunshade, Lens Cloth & Lens Caps Included

Im looking for a hunting scope for 500-700 yards FFP under $800 Not a fan of vortex, arken(reticles) i prefer to not have a floating dot center. Adjustable turrets is a plus. Really love my XTR III. Mainly run Riton scopes. Any other to look at ? Will be on a 6.5 PRC

Burris XTR II 3-15X50

ZIESS V4 4-16X44
What do you not like specifically about the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 3-15x?

The Burris XTR II 5-25x didn't like my vision…..my vision is clear, but the scope is not so…

Hunting scope...500-700 yds...FFP......my suggestion is....oh....

$800 MAX
View attachment 572599
Nevermind. Some people have a budget….thats ok. No reason to belittle folks for not buying a $4000 optic….
So your saying i shouldnt buy a scope under $800 for hunting 5-700 yards.
He's saying only $4000 scopes are good enough to work….but then he won't give his Zero Comp to Form to "test" it!
Fixed SWFA scopes for the win. Just kidding lol. I have the fixed SWFA scopes but there are better options. For a cheap, tough, dialable scope they are fine. I'd just get whatever you can afford.
SWFA 3-15x is not a bad choice.