How to remove a stuck live round safely

The grease isn't for lubrication. It's a fairly safe way to put a lot of pressure in the barrel. You could do the same thing with water or any other incompressible liquid. It's just easy to do with a grease gun since the fittings are wildly available, a lot of people have grease guns on hand, and grease guns are designed to pump with a good amount of pressure.
The big problem would be finding Dave to sell us the threaded barrel adaptor to attach a straight grease zert
to. Where are you Dave???

Funny this pops up on my feed...... I just picked up a pair of fittings a buddy made for me just for this purpose. One is for the 1/2" threaded barrels and the other is for 5/8 threads. Hope I don't have to use them much, but I watched that video a while back and thought they could sure be useful. If anyone else would like some, I could check and see if he would make a run of them. He's former Air Force machinist/welder that retired from service and has opened his own welding/machine shop.

When I was younger and out in the field I had one get stuck in my 264WM. Did not want to quit hunting so I found a chunck of Barbed wire. I removed the barbs, then used it as a ram rod which shoved the bullet into the case then shook the powder out and was able to jar the case loose. Crude but it did work.

You could use one of these tools and brake fluid instead of a grease gun.

My opinion is, "what a mess". I'd just use the largest rod that fits inside the neck of the round. It should be long enough to reach the primer and about 2 or more inches longer than the barrel length. Then hammer it out. Can't imagine a live round being jammed very tightly in a chamber unless you used a hammer to close the bolt.

I think that a APG 90 Weight oil as used in differentials in cars, might have been a better choice instead of 5 w 30.
Incompressible is incompressible. Even water will work.

They rate gear lubes for viscosity differently from engine oils, those two aren't as far apart in actual viscosity as you might think.

A technique for removing a stuck round from an M-16 (AR-15) is to hold the rifle vertical with the butt facing the ground and the muzzle up, while simultaneously pulling down on the charge handle, slam the butt of the rifle firmly (not excessively) onto something hard like a floor, tree stump, etc. 99% of the time, the stuck round will come out. I've never tried this technique with a bolt gun, but I have impressed many shooters when I demonstrated this on their jammed AR-15s and AR-10s.

Recent Posts