How to make recoil lug recess deeper?

I know you can get Jarrows Inletting Black or Gold from Brownells, I suspect MidWay, too. Make sure it's mixed well (use a tooth pick or something simliar). "Paint" it sparingly on the bottom of the lug (or wherever you think it might be touching) and assemble metal to stock, taking care not to smudge the marking compound while assembling, and tighten the guard screws. Now, take it apart carefully. It will leave a mark where it is touching. Now you know where to remove material! I use black on light colored surfaces and gold on dark . Looks to me like a Q-Tip would work in the bottom of recoil lug inletting.

I know you can get Jarrows Inletting Black or Gold from Brownells, I suspect MidWay, too. Make sure it's mixed well (use a tooth pick or something simliar). "Paint" it sparingly on the bottom of the lug (or wherever you think it might be touching) and assemble metal to stock, taking care not to smudge the marking compound while assembling, and tighten the guard screws. Now, take it apart carefully. It will leave a mark where it is touching. Now you know where to remove material! I use black on light colored surfaces and gold on dark . Looks to me like a Q-Tip would work in the bottom of recoil lug inletting.

Hey Thanks! I really appreciate this. I'll order some.

Bob

I had this problem just the other day I bought a holland recoil lug and put it on my Savage 110 build it was too long so instead of digging in the aluminum block of the hs stock I measured the depth of the slot with a steel rule and marked the recoil lug and added 1/32" then I cut it off with a dremel problem
Solved in 5 min with only removing about 1/16" of recoil lug. I took it slow so as not to heat the lug enough to change the color.

You can either re-do the bedding job or take it to a Good gunsmith and have him ""very carefully"" shorten the lug until everything fits snug again.. It doesn't sound like it's rocking much and 1/32 to 1/16 isn't going to make a difference in the long run..gun)

OK.... I think I have it....Does anyone have suggested torque specs for this Model Seven with Brown Precision Kevlar (mostly) Stock for the action screws?

I don't think the stock matters all that much. Factory torque specs should suffice.

Thanks,
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.