How short is too short?

I use cfe blk for subs-- iirc I wasn't getting complete burn with 5744, I use h110 with supers . I'd have to check. But I think i tried 4 powders with subs before i settled on the cfk blk. I'm at 13 grains with a subsonic expanding mono (195gr) so if you go with a 5" barrel you might need a bit more for optimal mv
I like trailboss for 90gr xtp and lilgun for 190 gr cutting edges

In my opinion 5" is too short. I've had a 16" 300BO for a couple of years. I shoot a Thunderbeast 338 Ultra on it. 190gr bullets over 5.7gr Hodgdon Longshot. It's the quietest thing I've heard outside of a long barreled suppressed .22LR. I recently picked up a 9" 300BO barrel because I would like it to be shorter and more compact. It's noticably louder. Funny thing is the same load produces similar velocity in both barrels.

People that say it doesn't matter how short the barrel is bc it's a bolt gun are right in a sense. But in the same way I would disagree. In an AR you're only ever going to get so quiet bc of the ejection port noise. That's when the extra sound from a shorter barrel doesn't matter. The port noise will overpower the "at muzzle " noise and you'll never be able to hear the difference. In a bolt gun you can.

I haven't dialed in the best length yet between 9" and 16". Perhaps 12" gets you 90% of the sound reduction with only 30% more barrel, IDK yet. But I am having a 338 Spectre barrel chambered at 12" on the same action so we'll see how that sounds.

Check out the Maker bullets REX subsonics if you do want to shoot animals. The 190gr subX are garbage.
Thanks for the input, I have been loading cutting edge 190s, have some makers to try. Silly queit is a small charge of trailboss with a hornady 90gr xtp bullet

How long would the barrel be if it cleared the end of the stock by an inch?
The idea is to keep it about factory length with suppressor on, the factory is 14" even cutting 4 off and adding 7" or so for suppressor I'm right back at a short barrel "rifle"

Thanks for all the discussion I wasn't sure how much feedback I would get since the 300blk "fade" has wore of slightly

So, if you cut the barrel just ahead of the end of the forearm and had enough sticking out for threads plus a 1/4", and you carried it to the stand with the can in your pocket and a thread protector on the barrel and then put the can on when you got to the stand, that would be too cumbersome?

So, if you cut the barrel just ahead of the end of the forearm and had enough sticking out for threads plus a 1/4", and you carried it to the stand with the can in your pocket and a thread protector on the barrel and then put the can on when you got to the stand, that would be too cumbersome?
I would perfer it be already attached in case you have opportunity on the way in to stand, don't want to pull trigger on a 5 inch barrel rifle

I'm gonna be realistic and take ethical shots so figured with cut down barrel 50 yards or less with a precut mono like cutting edge or maker

I do have a Quick detach can but.... think im set on having it ready to go

I would perfer it be already attached in case you have opportunity on the way in to stand, don't want to pull trigger on a 5 inch barrel rifle
but if you do it my way, it wouldn't be a 5" barrel. And if you get a worthwhile opportunity on the way in, you make the shot, kill the deer and you've accomplished what you set out to do. Who cares if it's louder? The dead deer never heard the shot. Wear ear plugs on the way in. Unless you're dead set on butchering a stock that probably isn't easily replaceable, then go for it and find out what happens as an experiment.

but if you do it my way, it wouldn't be a 5" barrel. And if you get a worthwhile opportunity on the way in, you make the shot, kill the deer and you've accomplished what you set out to do. Who cares if it's louder? The dead deer never heard the shot. Wear ear plugs on the way in. Unless you're dead set on butchering a stock that probably isn't easily replaceable, then go for it and find out what happens as an experiment.
I have also looked into getting a boyds thumbhole stock with correct spacing and cut stock off behind grip, sand and blend