How much barrel life did you get out barrels you replaced?

KQguy

I just want to get an idea of how many rounds some of you guy's put through your barrels before replacing it due to wear.I currently have about 600 rounds through my savage(300wm),I am just trying to get an idea how much life I have left.Please specify what kind of barrel(factory or custom).

Hello,

It usually depends on a few variables such as:

Was the barrel shot when hot, material that the barrel is constructed from, the relationship of the case capacity to the bore size and the type of powder used.

I would think you are going to be okay for a while probably up to at least 2000 rounds depending on the above variables. I would say as long as you took care of it and kept it cool as you could that, you are still in the window of cutting edge accuracy for at least 400 more rounds. Some hi power guys get 4000-6000 rounds with chamberings that are similar to the .308.

Stainless barrels seem to last somewhat longer than the carbon steel barrels.

There is absolutely no way to tell unless the history of the barrel is known and inspections performed to establish wear patterns. Shoot it and have some fun.

James

I have a 308 remingtion range master target that has had
over 20,000 rds through it and it will still shoot 1/2 MOA.

Remingtion barreled it with a hart stainless and even though
it does have some throat erosion it doesent seam to hurt accurace.

This rifle has shot many rapid fire events ( 10 to 20 rounds in 1 or 2
min and has been very hot (to hot to touch the barrel), But it has been
cleaned very well after each match(50 to 100 rounds).

Barrel makers will tell you to expect 1200 to 1500 for chrome moly and
2000 to 2500 for stainless before any loss of accurace, But a lot depends
on velocity, powder used and how well / often you clean.

Some times an adjustment in overall cartrige length can extend barrel
accurace.

I have dealt with many rifles that appeared to be shot out and after about
3 to 4 hours of cleaning the bore they were "ALLMOST" as good as new.

Specweldtom had a 308 match rifle that had been set back and re'chamberd
because of barrel ware and then shot another 15,000 or 20,000 rounds
and realy liked some home made bullets that were .309 dia.

So as Lightvarmint said shoot an enjoy ,Or as our friends down under say
"No Worries Mate" .

J E CUSTOM

JE,that's a good idea about increasing C.O.L.,once accuracy starts to slip.I guess once the throat erodes some,it just makes sense to pull the bullet out that much farther.

That question cannot be answered accurately without considerably more information. Most of the people that I know that shoot in the military type competitions (I shoot 1K BR) can't remember what they call them but know of several who get upwards of 4k rounds through their 308's before replacing. The big difference is that the accuracy requirement is not as critical as it is in BR. As an example, my tubes generally go 1200 to 1500 before they are taken off and replaced. These tubes are maintained using a bore to verify only the required amount and type of cleaning is performed.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.