How many more firings?

How many more firings?

• Total voters

Canadian Bushman

This is winchester brass i have 5 firings on and think i can get 2-3 more. Id appreciate any opinions.

Also the web on these cases has thinned unevenly around the case. What causes this and how do i prevent it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 72
This is winchester brass i have 5 firings on and think i can get 2-3 more. Id appreciate any opinions.

Also the web on these cases has thinned unevenly around the case. What causes this and how do i prevent it?
I don't see any major trouble with the case. When they are going to separate they get a bright ring around the outside and they really get thin right in front of the web. Make sure you don't bump the shoulders too much. Matt

The un-even brass will cause in accuracy. That is one reason target shooters use Lapua, it does not have as many irregular case.

Two of the rifles I shoot will stretch and I watch for the bright ring in front of the web forming and am able to judge what is the last time it can be fired before separating.
Two others I use the brass until it will no longer hold a primer, that may be 10-15 times.
How did you come to the conclusion that the brass was thinning unevenly?
It has been my observation that any uneveness is present when it is new.

Cliff

It all depends upon how much you are resizing it. The more you work the brass the less times you can fire it. Also how hot are the loads. I once shot benchrest with a guy from Washington that ran 6500 rounds through a barrel with 15 pieces of brass. His story.

How did you come to the conclusion that the brass was thinning unevenly?
It has been my observation that any uneveness is present when it is new.

On the head body junction where the brass has expanded it appears to be uneven around the circumference of the case. If you roll the case the body doesn't run true with the head.
Theres a good chance these problems were present in the brass before their first firing and i just didn't notice until its stretching made it apparent on the outside of the case. Ill post more pics to help clarify what i mean.

It all depends upon how much you are resizing it. The more you work the brass the less times you can fire it. Also how hot are the loads.

This brass has never been fl sized or even had the shoulder bumped. Neck sized only.
I run mild loads just hot enough to slightly flatten the edges of a primer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 72
very interesting, I have a Tikka 25-06 that will do teh exact same thing to brass after 1 fire, with winchester brass only. It ends up with that strange looking "ridge" on one side of the case, but does not seem to effect the accuracy any noticeable amount. I can load those rounds warm 5-7 times before they get recycled out of habit, they might be able to go longer. Maybe we can figure out what our rifles are doing to this brass. BTW I only FLR

My thinking is excessive headspace in the chamber is allowing the shell to get cocked by the ejector/extractor in the first firing. I think the only resolution is to set the barrel back. If anyone else has a theory im all ears.

My batch of win brass was headspaced very small when i bought it and thats the only reason i could see this brass doing this more than other brands. Other than than im out of ideas. I dont have any virgin winchester brass to cut open and examine for uniform thickness or i would do that now.

As I said earlier, what you are seeing is the biggest cause of unexplained fliers. The problem originates at the factory when the brass is pulled from a button. One side stretches thinner than the other. When shooting this un even brass, you can turn the thin side to the left or right in the chamber and the bullet will impact in that direction. They make tools to check this and cull brass right out of the bag, even Lapua has this proem, but just not as bad as cheaper brands. German salazar did complete test and article on this, not allot of folks test for it and contribute it to neck thickness variations.
The Rifleman's Journal: Reloading: Audette Case Checking Method

Really all depends on what kind of accuracy you need for your intended purposes. If your trying to put 60 shots in a 3" circle at 600 yards, it will definitely help cull cases that could cause 9's. For general hunting purposes at normal ranges, you will never know the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts