How long barrel blank?

morgaj1

I am looking to order a Bartlein #3 countoured barrel to replace the factory barrel on a Remington 700. This will be chambered in 30-06AI. What length barrel do I order for a final length of 24"?

A #3 HS blank by default should be long enough to finish a 26" or less.

Personally with the VL potential of the AI, I would consider all 26". At 24" I would drop down to a 2B to save the weight unless there is a cosmetic or other reason. Sup with the build? It sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Does not the barrel maker state on the order form that your smith will need to cut 1 inch off each end after chambering and crowning?

Thanks for the tips. I have a 700 that started life as a stainless SPS. I just got an AG Visigoth stock, Hawkins Oberndorf bottom metal and a Triggertech special. Ordering a Bartlein 5R 10-twist to send to LRI for installation, blueprinting, bolt tig/timing, and skim bedding. I have a Zeiss Conquest V4 to mount afterwards. I should have started with a Bighorn action, but have always wanted a Remington 700.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I think you have to cut 0.5" off both ends to remove the centers from turning. Then you need some length if you are going to shorten the shoulder any. On the other end, you don't want to be too far from where it was turned or the bore may appear slightly off center.

27" worked for my build at 24".

I am looking to order a Bartlein #3 countoured barrel to replace the factory barrel on a Remington 700. This will be chambered in 30-06AI. What length barrel do I order for a final length of 24"?

you might wanna contact your gunsmith and see.

here's my short story-

i wanted a 30" barrel, when i ordered my blank they asked what the finish length i wanted, received blank, measured at 30 3/4"

talked to my gunsmith he explained what and how he does barrels; after threading and chambering it's measured just a tick over 29. add the muzzle brake, it's 30 1/2-31" now

most barrel manufacturers will do 20-26/28"blanks for the same price

i say grab you a 26" blank and tell your gunsmith what you want. let him/her work their magic

A Bartlein #3 will come 27" by default. There is an extra 1" over specified for cutting and crowning. You can certainly shorten it but keep in mind shank length or muzzle diameter will change as you cut length off. Each inch of muzzle changes the diameter 0.010" so two inches shorter from the muzzle it grows from 0.670" to 0.690"

Thanks for the tips. I have a 700 that started life as a stainless SPS. I just got an AG Visigoth stock, Hawkins Oberndorf bottom metal and a Triggertech special. Ordering a Bartlein 5R 10-twist to send to LRI for installation, blueprinting, bolt tig/timing, and skim bedding. I have a Zeiss Conquest V4 to mount afterwards. I should have started with a Bighorn action, but have always wanted a Remington 700.
I agree with the Bighorn choice. When you get this very well thought out job finished save up your duckies and do the Bighorn job. I think you will enjoy the 30-06AI. I had one years ago. Longer case life and a little more speed what's not to like. If you form cases with starting loads and the bullet slightly touching the rifling a can of Dykem Blue will be very handy.

A Bartlein #3 will come 27" by default. There is an extra 1" over specified for cutting and crowning. You can certainly shorten it but keep in mind shank length or muzzle diameter will change as you cut length off. Each inch of muzzle changes the diameter 0.010" so two inches shorter from the muzzle it grows from 0.670" to 0.690"
Absolute truth. Another truth is that the shorter you cut a tube the stiffer it becomes.

I just noticed your Alma Mater is an original charter member of the SEC. As is KY. 😁 Good luck with the build. I hope you end up with a bug holer!

I have seen that. But, bugholes has a 27" blank in stock now. I'm trying to determine if that will work.
This barrel is the regular Bartlein #3 and will finish at 26" normally. If you shorten it to 24" the shank/muzzle dimensions will change. Totally fine to do that just know that it will come out of the published dimensions. You could take a little out of the shank but I wouldn't take 2". The first 6" or so is where the pressure is greatest. Removing material from the shank will pull the most weight. It will also affect the inlet to the stock. From the muzzle it gets larger diameter and yes stiffer as you have less material cantilevered out there and the diameter is growing. Just depends on what you want. If you want it this year, I would get one from Bugholes.