How Far with a 7mm Rem Mag?-Elk Hunting

Actually it does if you have an $ 8000.00+ package to shoot with and someone to make the right calls on windage and elevation and dial your scope for you....easy ...right?
Hmm. I remember the first time I shot 1,000yds on the range with an old Rem 700 Varmint in 308 wearing a 4-12x scope. I think back then, the whole package was valued about $500. Then we used M1A's, other bolt guns, a Winchester 70 Palma stocked 308, and since those old days, many more rifles. Many of those were under $1,000 and some were factory with minor smithing, good load development and a "decent" glass.

Too many people think they must have a multi-thousand dollar rifle, similar priced scope, expensive range finders, all the latest amenities, etc, etc to begin shooting LR/ELR. Heck, too many of us were doing it decades ago with rather inexpensive and old school tech and didn't know we weren't supposed to.

A little formal training or joining a shooting club goes a long ways.

Hmm. I remember the first time I shot 1,000yds on the range with an old Rem 700 Varmint in 308 wearing a 4-12x scope. I think back then, the whole package was valued about $500. Then we used M1A's, other bolt guns, a Winchester 70 Palma stocked 308, and since those old days, many more rifles. Many of those were under $1,000 and some were factory with minor smithing, good load development and a "decent" glass.

Too many people think they must have a multi-thousand dollar rifle, similar priced scope, expensive range finders, all the latest amenities, etc, etc to begin shooting LR/ELR. Heck, too many of us were doing it decades ago with rather inexpensive and old school tech and didn't know we weren't supposed to.

A little formal training or joining a shooting club goes a long ways.
I'm referring to the video... however were you shooting the 1000 and achieving 1moa accuracy back then consistently or just hitting the 48" x 48" steel every so often! Big difference and the shot in the video was 1300+ yards hitting an 7" kill zone....neither you or I or anyone else was doing that with an under 500.00 package....back then, last week or today! But it sounds good!

I've always been comfortable with LBS of Engergy = LBS on the Hoof.

1000 lb Elk needs 1000 for me...
My rifle with 180 Hybrids is still carrying 1300lbs of energy at 1000.

Took my pronghorn at 931 pretty comfortable so I don't think I would hesitate to take the right shot, at the right bull at 1000...but that's about it for me
From my experience Antelope are insanely east to kill. I would never use an antelope kill as a basis for bullet/cartridge performance other than for another antelope. If 1300lbs meets your wants then let it rip.

Speaking only for myself, I think the load needs to be able to deliver approximately 1800-to-2000-foot pounds at the range you expect to shoot. My rifles fall below that Energy threshold at about 600/650 yards. So assuming I had the chance to practice and practice, and practice at that range with the .300 Weatherby Mag, /180 Grn Partition prior to the hunt, That 650 yards would be MAX for me. I am not just comfortable taking a 1000 yard shot, with my Rifle/ Scope/ Load Combo at such an animal, knowing I may just wound it IMHO

My current fire forming 180gr ELDM load out of my 7mm RM is slow at 2800 fps. I except it to get faster once I finish fire forming the brass and breaking in the barrel. But even at 2800 fps I feel comfortable at 700 yards. Farther once I get more load development and trigger time with my new rifle.

From my experience Antelope are insanely east to kill. I would never use an antelope kill as a basis for bullet/cartridge performance other than for another antelope. If 1300lbs meets your wants then let it rip.
I wasn't using it as the basis for my opinion on energy necessary on target, just simply pointing out that when you have the experience and ability to shoot an antelope size target at 900... An elk size target looks like a school bus.

Ooorrr...we could just get closer to our critter. 10 years ago, I never considered 500 yds a good decent range for a shot. Now I came into a little discretionary income and started hunting out west, on private land, the guides all tell you up front to get comfortable hitting a 10" circle at 500 yards and bring a rifle with 1500 Ft lbs remaining at that range--like that's a given. I'm like--I'm OK with 150 yds--that won't degrade the quality of the hunt for me. In the last 3 trips I have one Elk at 500 yds with 7mmRM, a mule deer at 475 with a 7mm-08 and another Elk at 550 yds with a, wait for it...6.5 Creedmoor I had to borrow in the field at the last minute when my rifle went south. I would probably not have taken the shot except it was very open, flat range land, and a calm sunny mid-day on the last day of season. FWIW, that Lì'll 6.5 (143 ELD-X at 2770) put the big 5X6 down in his tracks with one shot...Doh...whew--I skated.
I have a "blingie" 6.5 PRC (antelope, sheep & whitetail) and a "sparkly" 6.8 Western (mulies and Elk) that I acquired just for the purpose of long-range mountain hunting (I also have many standard big 28s & 30s as well) that fit the bill on range and energy. I can ring steel regularly with either rifle at 1000 just so I know I can get the pill on the target if I need to, but I really think twice about a shot longer than 500 yds. I think my personal self-imposed limit on a game animal is 700 yds in good conditions. I think that's a holdover from the fact that most of my life I thought 300 yds was a really long range:)!

You are obviously a good man willing to learn and polite to boot .....you'll do well....but ...just me here.....as I said....the video was a video....the young man was calm...all he had to do was pull the trigger....not taking anything away from him here..but for most...It's a lifetime of experience to make a shot at 1000 yards. The folks with him were the professionals....most of us don't have those mentors...we learn the hard way with 1000's of rounds of practice...and I do mean... thousands! Shoot straight...shoot often..best of luck!
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement! Agreed for sure! I can only hope that someday I feel comfortable shooting an elk at 600-800 yards but less 1,000, LOL! Definitely agree, regarding thousands of rounds! Thank you again!

Just a final word form me, its not really important , but please allow me to say this. If you have the right Rifle/ Scope /Load Combo, and IT, has the ability to deliver the needed energy to kill the game in question at Long Range, and YOU actually have the skill, and talent, and calm demeanor to take that long shot, then it's all yours buddy . I think Elk at 1000 yds is a real challenge, and I am not prepared for that . My 270 Weatherby Mag, shooting a 150 Grn. ABLR started at 3000 fps has a mere 834 Ft Pounds of Energy at 1000 yards. ( JBM ) My 300 Weatherby Mag shooting a 190 Grn ABLR at 2900 FPS will deliver only 1105 Ft pounds of Energy at 1000 yards. ( JBM Ballistic Table ) I'm thinking that both loads, from both Magnum Rifles are just a bit too light to be truly effective on such a big animal at that range. Now that's just me, boys and I am open to being schooled by the group. I would hope a good guide could help me close that distance to the Elk. . At 650 Yards I would have 1717 ft. pounds from the 30 Mag. So, Close the range, Hit with more Energy, maybe I could even place the shot more preciously! Doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

I am a "capable" game shot out to about 400yds, but have only taken a handful of game that far. I would want to limit myself to that same 400 and a minimum 150 Mono in a 7mm Rem Mag.
I load for several 7mmRM and it seems they mostly like the 160+ grain pills, and customs with a higher twist rate seem to like the 175/180. I've had some core jacket separations with the Hornady core lokt 150s back in the day. Prolly a good idea to switch to monos in the lighter bullets.
Also agree with Lenny--what he said. I CAN hit at 1000 yds on a perfect day, but I really prefer a 300 yd shot:)...just me.

I've shot a truck load of rocks at 1000, even with peeps on the Garand, M1A or dialing them in with other sporters, but I can't make myself take a shot at game that far, many reasons why. But I admire those with the skill/equipment who CAN do it, and I learn alot from this Forum. Alot!
Before we had Monos, it was widely believed that certain calibers "just Balanced Better" with certain weights. In 7mm it was 160. 308 Win it was the 165, 30-06 it was 180, 300 Mags it was 180-190. etc. Not written in stone, its just a good rule of thumb. I have used more 175 and 180s in the 300WM and 200gr in the 300 RUM for elk.

Last edited:
Whatever range you can consistently hit a cold bore shot (and a follow up if you like) into the vital zone of hunted animal.

By the ft lbs logic mentioned, many loads are leaving alot on the table with the 1500 ft lb rule. For instance a 140 Berger starting at a mere 2938 FPS, gives up that ghost according to this at around 525 yards, yet the manufacturer states 1800 FPS for function, which occurs at about 850 yards.

Last time I checked ammo manufacturers don't put minimum energy requirements for function on boxes...just sayin

Last edited: