How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

My main go to squirrel rifle is my Savage BMAG .17 WSM. It is not overkill because I always go for head shots and the long range shots saves me time and adds to the enjoyment.

I was cursed with a lot of misfires and yesterday my gunsmith pals installed a new firing pin and spring, along with removing a couple of coils from the firing pin return spring.

A trial run outside confirmed rifle shoots just fine.

Especially this time of year with a lot of leaves still on, it is a real challenge to hunt squirrels as we well know. I guarantee it costs squirrels when the rifle misfires.

Yeah, early morning and afternoon is usually the best times to be hunting but some days that seem to be perfect weather result in few squirrels running.

I hunt squirrels 3 or 4 times a week or more.
The first 3 hrs of the morning. In fall squirrel will move all day. Also last 3 hrs of the day. Find the cutting hickory or acorns find the squirrels. I hunt 99% acorn flats with hickory mixed in. If u can find a pecan tree. U have a honey hole. Squirrels will come over a mile too it. I have set in one place around pecan tress's and limit out. We have fox squirrels and grey squirrels. Fox squirrels will answer a call better than a grey. But at times both will come to a call. Fox will move slow moving around. Grey squirrels are like lightning moving around. I walk distance stop set 25 minutes. Then move on doing same thing over and over. Primos squirrel buster is the best call I have used. Also carry a haydel squirrel whistle ( young squirrel in distress. ) . If I try to use a 22 I would never kill a squirrel as fast as greys are. Where I grew up we had fox squirrels. I live in the ozarks mountains now mostly grey squirrels. I use a mossberg mossy oak 500 410 TSS Turkey gun. I bought it just for squirrel hunting. I uses 3 inch 11/16 oz 4 or 6 shot. I just got my mec 410 reloader in. Now have to wait on my nickel platted 5 1/2 and 6 size shot. To load up for squirrel hunting.

dawn to about 2pm is best. Then just before dark.
I like to find an active area and ambush them. I just sit and let them do the moving. As soon as you move they get nervous. I use a 22lr and shoot them in the head. Body shots can have them heading for a hole.

I sometimes use a call. Weather doesn't really matter too much as long as it isn't super windy. It can be drizzling, snowing, or sunny, they will be out. The day before a storm is good because they are stocking up.

yes, my gun looks as cool as yours, lol. CZ455 with hand oiled walnut.

If I can see 'em, I can hit 'em.

5/5

Attachments

• BBA254C6-8E13-47E7-B651-6FA267717F58.jpeg
    BBA254C6-8E13-47E7-B651-6FA267717F58.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
Usually after the snow goes till it gets hot(late June early July) we use the same equipment that are used for prairie dogs (204 & 223) and hope there aint enough left to feed the birds😎
But then you ment tree rats didnt ya.....no trees equals no tree rats except for a few pine sqirrels. Although as fun to shoot as chipmunks a pine squirrel just aint worth eatin. Annoying little buggers
The infamous post squirrel
Before
After

I find a good acorn or hickory patch and sit down for about 30-45 minutes and they will show up. I will use a call from time to time. I use a 12g shotgun with Mod choke and it works like a champ - very rare that I hit one and it isn't DRT. After the shooting stops, I move about 100-200 yards and find another patch or move to the opposite end of that patch. They seem to see really well so I go full camo.

Funny thing - they will climb all over me if I am bow hunting and up in a tree. I had once crawl on my head once and wake me up...

I find a good acorn or hickory patch and sit down for about 30-45 minutes and they will show up. I will use a call from time to time. I use a 12g shotgun with Mod choke and it works like a champ - very rare that I hit one and it isn't DRT. After the shooting stops, I move about 100-200 yards and find another patch or move to the opposite end of that patch. They seem to see really well so I go full camo.

Funny thing - they will climb all over me if I am bow hunting and up in a tree. I had once crawl on my head once and wake me up...
Pretend you're deer hunting lol, they will be all over around you.

I see more in the afternoon-evening hunts. I also see a lot in the morning. I use a17hmr some I carry a20 gauge with #4 or 5 **** I'll be hunting this weekend for them. Good luck hunting.

I am watching the weather, planning to go out later this week. Meanwhile...how about a discussion?

1. What time of the day works best for you?
  2. Do you sit or do you walk?
  3. What shooting position is most common for you?
  4. Do you ever use a call?
  5. How much difference does weather make?
  6. If you see 5 squirrels on an outing, how many come home with you?
  7. Does your squirrel gun look as cool as mine? gun)
Easiest hunt you could ever want I look out the window and I'll see 20 out there around my wife's birdfeeders I slip out with my pellet gun shoot one or two and they all runoff give them an hour when I come back I'll shoot another one here is one I just managed to get today a 30 yard shot with a pellet gun
ECDDABA2-49F6-4F43-A594-437134CF70E4.png

I have an older Beman .177 that is incredibly accurate with the Gamo PBA's. My longest kill is 77 yds using cross sticks and my Bushnell ARC rangefinder. Sometimes I just hang up a birdfeeder😂 and here they come! My backyard is great for spot stalks! My wife just shakes her head when I am camo'ed up hiding behind propane tank or laying in grass behind elevated garden.