How do YOU afford this...

I am a single dad with twin girls under 3. I pay a lot of child support though I get them a lot but I support my ex financially to keep 2 good roofs over their heads. At the end of the week I'm left with scraps. I save, and combine my hobbies. I sold my dirt bike in place of a buggy, but I used to ride my dirt bike around with a gun on my back and I take a little gold panning kit. If I find something I come back later, shoot a deer, or just enjoy myself out doors. I'm about to buy a house for me but I'm going to rent out downstairs so I can make back some income, don't be afraid of renters. I make a good living as a masters level qualified paramedic but once the bills are paid im tight. Pick something you want, do some overtime and plan your purchases. I'd rather 3 really good guns than 10. Trying to swing a thermal at the moment with 50 bucks a fortnight. But don't be afraid to live in debt if you are stable to have what you want now and for the next 10 years of hunting life I'd reckon.

If you want really nice stuff , most likely you will have to pretty much settle on one. I cant afford to be good at 2. Remember, spending time with your family is at least as important. Your time is more valuable than money. Pick just one, and be a good whatever and a great dad.
Amen to that!

When you like to shoot but limited in budget you need one (1) weapon that is durable. All magnum calibres wear out too quickly. It remains the 270 win, 308 win, 30-06 spr. etc ... with a basic 9X / 12x riflescope a good shooter can reach his target at surprising distances. What becomes long distance shooting.

Kids / no kids: kids 2 (boy 13, girl 6)

I had a few years before my daughter was born to gather some wanted items. But when she came along I got more serious and started wanting "higher end" items. I will scour the classifieds to find deals and buy and sell equipment to get the items I have my eye one. (Most recently the Minox ZP5). Many Reloading items are bought the same way (aside from dies).

I did have a custom 300win mag rifle built by Jeff at Rivers Bend Gun Co. All the parts were purchased new for it, but I did get decent deals on the components.

Curtis custom action- $1080
Mpa chassis- $750
1:9 Bartlein Barrel- $350
TT Diamond- $205
Minox zp5 5-25x56- $1900
Atlas CAL- $190
Badger Rings- $80

20190722_180414.jpg

I also like to learn, and spun up and chambered a barrel in 260 rem for my Remington 700 action. DIY is a great place to save a bit of dough

52 married, daughter granddaughter with a second on the way. Mechanical engineer selling hydronic heating, cooling an process equipment also own a small company which services the equipment we sell.

My dad and I built my Mauser .270 when I was 10. I just ordered a Cooper. I also train bird dogs shoot IDPA and fish.

My wife is the best and for my entire life all I ever wanted to do was shoot and hunt. My success in business is solely attributable to the fact that I needed money so I could afford my hobby. I may have read the quote on this site. Teach you kids to love shooting and they won't be able to afford drugs :)

I am a single dad with twin girls under 3. I pay a lot of child support though I get them a lot but I support my ex financially to keep 2 good roofs over their heads. At the end of the week I'm left with scraps. I save, and combine my hobbies. I sold my dirt bike in place of a buggy, but I used to ride my dirt bike around with a gun on my back and I take a little gold panning kit. If I find something I come back later, shoot a deer, or just enjoy myself out doors. I'm about to buy a house for me but I'm going to rent out downstairs so I can make back some income, don't be afraid of renters. I make a good living as a masters level qualified paramedic but once the bills are paid im tight. Pick something you want, do some overtime and plan your purchases. I'd rather 3 really good guns than 10. Trying to swing a thermal at the moment with 50 bucks a fortnight. But don't be afraid to live in debt if you are stable to have what you want now and for the next 10 years of hunting life I'd reckon.

We all have various levels of engagement in this sport, and we are all from different walks of life with different expendable incomes.

My Wife and I have "good" jobs, 2 young children that have a lot of interests/activities (cha-ch$ng). We manage our money well and have an eye for the future.

I was reading a thread recently about various mountain scopes, and some of you fellers listed off 6-8 scopes that you currently have in circulation that I would absolutely drool over.

I've lusted over the "kit" required to do long-range hunting any justice for years and years. In addition to a small safe filled with hand-me-downs and affordable factory guns, I have 1 custom rifle that was given to me as a thank you for coaching their sons lacrosse team for 3 years (fortunately it came with a nice scope too - VX6 6-24x52). I shoot as often as I can, I but in reality I wish I could shoot 3-4 times more than I do .... it's the cost of ammo/components that prevents me from going hog wild. I also would like to get a light caliber semi custom to get my kids in on the fun (but we will make do with our ruger American predator just fine.

I stand no chance of "keeping up with the Jones'" but I'd sure be curious to know....

Kids / no kids
Dollars invested in custom rifles and attached scopes

This should be interesting!
General contractor, I build houses, do remodeling, additions, etc. I also own a karate/Krav Maga school.
One young child
I only have one semi custom rifle built around the action of my first hunting rifle given to me on my 18th Birthday. I've got somewhere around $4K in the rifle and scope. Took me three years of saving, and selling a couple other rifles and scopes to be able to afford to build it. I'm very much envious of all the high end builds and optics I see on here, but I'm also happy for the people who can afford to have those weapons.

We all have various levels of engagement in this sport, and we are all from different walks of life with different expendable incomes.

My Wife and I have "good" jobs, 2 young children that have a lot of interests/activities (cha-ch$ng). We manage our money well and have an eye for the future.

I was reading a thread recently about various mountain scopes, and some of you fellers listed off 6-8 scopes that you currently have in circulation that I would absolutely drool over.

I've lusted over the "kit" required to do long-range hunting any justice for years and years. In addition to a small safe filled with hand-me-downs and affordable factory guns, I have 1 custom rifle that was given to me as a thank you for coaching their sons lacrosse team for 3 years (fortunately it came with a nice scope too - VX6 6-24x52). I shoot as often as I can, I but in reality I wish I could shoot 3-4 times more than I do .... it's the cost of ammo/components that prevents me from going hog wild. I also would like to get a light caliber semi custom to get my kids in on the fun (but we will make do with our ruger American predator just fine.

I stand no chance of "keeping up with the Jones'" but I'd sure be curious to know....

Kids / no kids

Most guys don't have a lot better of money to just drop on a custom gun.
I buy and resale at a profit and trade up. I find gun deals at yard sales and resale for profit
Sounds like you have a nice custom gun and scope. If you aren't content with it sale the items or combo on GunBroker. Reinvest in your new gun.
Find a good custom gun builder. Dixie Precision in Mississippi builds guailty guns for affordable prices. l buy quality parts as l can afford them, then send all the parts to Alton at DIXIE Precision and let him assemble it. I have two 338's built by Alton that will shoot 3 shots at 100 in one ragged hole. I have even built a new custom gun in a new fad"caliber that everyone wants, sale it for a profit and build the gun l want. AR-15 platforms are the "rage" now. They can be built and easily sold for a profit. If it takes 5 years to save for custom gun you really want, it's always worth it.
Age 55
Occupation - paramedic
Two adult sons
$ In custom guns not enough

47 and 4 kids. The youngest just graduated high school and the oldest is starting her 2nd year in Vet school. The wife and I both have decent jobs. All of my kids hunt deer, waterfowl and upland game. That's 4 extra shotguns and rifle setups (really good excuse to expand the safe ;)). Thanks to the OP for starting this because it caused me some wonderful reflection. I still don't have $$ to shoot competitively trap or rifle, but I do shoot a lot with load prep for all them kids and my guns. Same as stated by an earlier post, I came by my guns horse trading. Early on I set a goal to try one of everything. I mostly have with the exception of the 5K and up stuff and .416 and up stuff, although I did have a brief run with the 416Wby and decided .375 and down was fine and really .338 and down...anyway. The main way I manage it was cutting out the stuff I didn't need. I don't have cocktails at dinner, we don't eat out for dinner much. I don't buy crap I don't need. I don't have 7 of each color crank bait ever sold, that sort of thing. From my youth in the Marine Corp, I learned a man can drink away and F*&# away a fortune. My buddies did - I got out with a truck and 5 scoped rifles and 2 shotguns, all pretty high end for 1994. I have about 90 die sets, and my Bro-in-law could pay for them in a year with just what he spends Weeknights at the bar. Where there is will there is a way.

Kids / no kids

63 years old
Retired (home, vehicles, boat, 4 wheeler, paid for)
Two grown children and grandchildren
$54,000+ in guns and optics (all acquired by working full time and a part time job for 30 years)

I'm 28yo. Work in LTL Freight and my wife is an independent insurance agent. Have two boys ages 6 and 11 with a household income of 150k +/-
About $10,000 in one custom rifle with multiple barrels and reloading tools. I believe in quality over quantity. I also have about 20 factory firearms I have inherited.

First and foremost we live on a budget. For most of our lives and generationally we live well above our needs by financing everything. Luckily I discovered a financial program and started being in control of our money instead of our money controlling me.

"The borrower is SLAVE to the lender"

So like I said. We budget everything to the best of are abilities. I have a personal spending bucket that I use for whatever I like. Eating out, clothes, reloading components, etc... For big items like a components, builds, scopes we use our non retirement savings.

I do not shoot and participate in hobbies as much as I'd like because this season of life doesn't allow it. And I'm ok with that.

Don't admire the "Jones". They are broke

Joe

So, I have been blessed with kids that love to shoot. They started with "chipmunks" and gun show Remingintons.22. I always used factory rifle and shotguns. I started with Rem 700 and 1100, as things progressed Browning, Brettas, Benelli, and SAKO. I learned to "work on" and tweak my firearms over my 66 years. They, the rifles, all shot under 1 MOA, not much but under. We do handload occasionally with LEE equipment. It's all in your head with equipment at some point, It finally comes down to your ability. As far as Scopes go, for 50 years it was a combo of Bausch&Lomb and Bushnell (mid-range) and they NEVER let me down. Now I take great pride in "out shooting, or at least coming close" to the kids (35-40 years old) with my factory tweaked rifles and 1100's against their DT-11's. At the end of the day, there is a price/value relationship that has to be met. There is not 1% on this site or any site that can make use of a 3-5K rifle and a 2K scope, it all in your head and at the end of the day it all you. Practice and more importantly enjoy the ride.

3 daughters, all shoot
Tax accountant, retired (medical)
Fortunate to have a farm with room for pistol and rifle range out to 680 yds
LR rifles:
Custom 300WM with Nightforce BEAST by LRR $10k, RPR 338 Lapua Mag with Nightforce ATACR $7k, Sharps 45-110 with Soule #103 Long Range Buffalo sight $4k , Customized STAG 8L with Nikon
Gotta reload. 338LM and 45-110 (if you can find them) are $110/20. Too much...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.