How Close is Too Close????

CaptnC

I'm talking about scope/barrel clearance. I'm planning to get me some extra high rings, but the scope is the prefect height right now. The barrel is 26" .850 at the muzzle...caliber is 300WM.

I most likely have more clearance between the full floated barrel and the stock!

Shoots great too, but I don't want to wreck the scope. A paper towel will fit between the two...it is not touching but it looks like it is in the picture.

20170828_175335.jpg

If it doesn't touch under recoil, then it's got enough separation as far as barrel/recoil induced scope damage goes.. But I would prefer a minimum of about 0.015" at that location, just for mental comfort.

Another consideration..., are you able to install a scope cover over the objective bell?

No phorwath I can't...that's another issue I don't care for...I'm not sure if it hits when the gun is fired or not. It is very heavy so I'm not sure.

Weiser...I'm thinking the exact same thing I wish I hadn't invested the money in Leupold bases and rings now.

In the end I'm going to have to use extra high rings no matter what.

i sure would like to see the rest of that rifle.

personally i would want more clearance

It sure is frustrating when you have the perfect cheek weld but the scope won't clear the barrel.

If you had a mill you could machine some clearance by removing some of the barrel. Don't laugh I have done it after I saw that one of the top rifle custom rifle builders, David Miller Co, has been doing it for years.
https://huntforever.org/2015/07/02/the-rifles-of-david-miller-co/#jp-carousel-11117

What about some shim stock in the ring bottoms?

Ist , I recommend throwing away both your mount and rings. Install a proper rail and rings of your preferred height . You'll thank me at some point down the road.
Yep, I learned long ago that the old school Leupold rings and bases suck for LR shooting. Took a while, and alot of money, but I finally swapped every rifle I own (including rimfires) over to an EGW picatinny rail and a good set of picatinny aluminum rings (Seekins & TPS TSR on the centerfires, and Leupold PRW's on the rimfires).

No phorwath I can't...that's another issue I don't care for...I'm not sure if it hits when the gun is fired or not. It is very heavy so I'm not sure.

Weiser...I'm thinking the exact same thing I wish I hadn't invested the money in Leupold bases and rings now.

In the end I'm going to have to use extra high rings no matter what.
Throw a 20 MOA EGW HD base on it, and then a set of Seekins Precision lows or TPS TSR aluminum lows on there, and you'll be good to go.

Mud I ordered one last night. It is D&T for a three hole base and the have one for the 98 mauser action. I bought some Vortex rings/EGW base for my Savage build that are too high...so I'm going use those rings before I buy more rings.

I foolishly have bought Leupold bases and rings for 4 mauser builds and another Savage complete rifle. One mauser and the Savage (300wsm) have come loose while shooting at the range. The other 3 mausers...one is not finished...one is finished but have not shot much...this gun is the last one...

Lesson learned...any one want to buy some Leupold rings and bases? Got both 1" and 30mm...Savage is R&B are silver...

Hell, I got a whole bag of Leupold rings and bases... Both 1" and 30mm, matte and gloss, Remington 700, Weatherby MK-V, and Browning A-Bolt... Can't give the **** things away. LOL

I tossed my Leupold rings when I started getting 6" groups at 200m... Then noticed a busted screw head laying on the bench and a second that was missing. Went with the Burris XTR's and am quite happy.

Just got the EGW base for a 98 mauser that still has the stripper clip guide...three hole...well the bolt will not clear! I'm going to call them tomorrow!

Just got the EGW base for a 98 mauser that still has the stripper clip guide...three hole...well the bolt will not clear! I'm going to call them tomorrow!
Has your bolt handle been modified/sporterized? If so, this could have been what is causing the contact... EGW should be able to help you out, possibly build you a custom base, or modify the base you bought from them to work...

We have two 98 Mausers, an 8mm-06 and a 6.5x55, one has a 1 piece Burris base with Redfield rings and the other has a 2 piece Warn base with Burris signature rings, and the Warn base had to be modified slightly for bolt clearance, but it's nothing that about a minute with a belt sander won't fix.

As far as clearance goes, my father has a Ruger 300 win mag sporter rifle with a Redfield 3-9, and the clearance was less than paper thickness, dust pieces would get stuck in there, but there was clearance, and in 20 years nothing ever happened, and I know that rifle had more recoil than yours, he was shooting 190 grain pills going fast in an 8.5 lb rifle, no brake. But, that was just his experience, with probably a lighter scope, and that was with Ruger rings. I personally have no experience with the Leupold 1 piece set ups.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.