• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Hornady Z-MAX

Not to disrupt your wtb post, but can you inform me what the difference between the vmax and zmax bullets are? I thought it was just tip color/marketing.

The Z-Max has a Cannelure mid body.

A friend is searching for a supply of them because he feels the shoot better in all three of his 223.

I am going to do some testing tomorrow to see if I can tell a difference.

Hornady says the only difference is the addition of the Cannelure and the tip color.

It may shoot better for him due to the reduce bearing surface?

I am loading the same three different known loads for the 55gr V-max and the the same loads with the Z-max. If the it isn't blowing or hailing here in OK tomorrow, I will see if there is a difference.

Going to be an interesting test.

I found the 55 gr .224 Zmax to shoot same as the Vmax, but I never pushed them too far, maybe 300 yards max. I agree that the only difference is cannelure and color tip. Found a bunch years ago on clearance and would like to find them again!

The Z-Max has a Cannelure mid body.

A friend is searching for a supply of them because he feels the shoot better in all three of his 223.

I am going to do some testing tomorrow to see if I can tell a difference.

Hornady says the only difference is the addition of the Cannelure and the tip color.

It may shoot better for him due to the reduce bearing surface?

I am loading the same three different known loads for the 55gr V-max and the the same loads with the Z-max. If the it isn't blowing or hailing here in OK tomorrow, I will see if there is a difference.

Going to be an interesting test.

I would love to see the results! Thanks!