Hornady has strange recommendations

Nope, they aren't. Completely different jackets.

I agree with you, Barnes don't know jack *Rule 4 Violation* about Hornady bullets. They just want you to buy their over priced copper bullets.

Again, wrong. There are pictures of the two cut in half side by side, completely different.

View attachment 141011
Now call Barnes back and tell them how wrong they are.

*insert mic drop here*
My luck my 300 Weatherby loves Barnes.

I built a 416 RUM would be ok on bears. (700 LA with M16 extractor Am building a 375 RUM also ok for bear: Mausingfield action -- Mauser extractor. Have a 358 Winchester (M16 extractor on 700 SA) and a 338 EDGE neither enough for great bears. If not a double rifle, need a Mauser style extractor to ensure the second shot. Model 70 would be great. 45 Colt for the sidearm. If hunting dangerous game African or bears, I would want a backup shooter with me.

morning, BARNES bullets in certain calibers will
kill big bears and or anything else. and yes 10mm's
in emergency situations will kill a bear with solid
bullets. would I hunt bears with a 10mm or any
other pistol round absolutely NOT. i
have 3 10mm's swear by the caliber. justme gbot tum

Well I have to jump in on this......I know several folks at Hornady and the go to guys all said no no on SST for bear. But a good interlock is gtg. I shoot a 358 win with either a 200 sp or 250 gr rn. And I feel very comfortable with that setup. Now that being said Im not hunting grizz.
but here in NC we have some big bears.

Hmmm...that is interesting. Hey, their bullets, their call. Doesn't mean people can't use them on whatever they want, but it makes you wonder why they recommend as they do. (Thankfully there is always the Nosler Partition to make everything right with the world again, ha!) :D
Don't know why anyone would use any Hornady bullet over the Nosler Partition for big bears or big anything. Unless the bullet is used at extreme ranges, no need. Big bears by in large are killed fairly close ( inside 200 yards typically).

I hunt from deer stands. I do not want to be on the ground with large animals that charge and can put me on the ground very quickly. Large hogs, black or brown bears can do that as can buffalo, moose or elk. A charge at you from a short distance requires a brain or spine hit to stop the animal. Having a reliable second shot is essential. I think it would be unwise to hunt alone where you can end up close to a dangerous animal in brush or other low visibility situations. There will be little time for the backup revolver.

morning, BARNES bullets in certain calibers will
kill big bears and or anything else. and yes 10mm's
in emergency situations will kill a bear with solid
bullets. would I hunt bears with a 10mm or any
other pistol round absolutely NOT. i
have 3 10mm's swear by the caliber. justme gbot tum
You'd be surprised how well the 10mm will kill a big bear relaxed or feeding. I'd actually prefer a much larger diameter and heavier bullet for an angry or charging bear than the 10mm hard cast but given the firepower and controllability of the 10mm, it's my first choice also for a bear country sidearm. Unalarmed, a feeding bear is much easier to kill than an angry charging bear. A well placed .40 caliber bullet from a 10mm will kill a brown bear effectively.

Nope, they aren't. Completely different jackets.

I agree with you, Barnes don't know jack **** about Hornady bullets. They just want you to buy their over priced copper bullets.

Again, wrong. There are pictures of the two cut in half side by side, completely different.

View attachment 141011
Now call Barnes back and tell them how wrong they are.

*insert mic drop here*
That was my thought when I read the post. Barnes giving tech info on Hornady bullets ? ***. The match bullet design has a much thinner jacket. The X has thicker skin designed to expand slowly. I'll say the match bullet works great on deer tho.

I've never shot a grizzly or killed any animal with a Hornady SST althought the factory 139's shoot 1/2" in my 7x57 Winchester Featherweight. I have witnessed a buddy shoot 3 bull elk, two buck mule deer and a New Foundland moose with a 180 grain factory SST out of a 300 WM. I couldn't tell you what the bullets looked like, they all exited! The moose was shot twice broadside at 100 yards and worked perfectly. I can't tell you how many times I've heard these bullets "blow up" and are no good.

I read a lot about Barnes, Hornady, Hammer and other bullets. I shoot Sierra bullets almost exclusively and find them accurate and effective at lower cost than others.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts