Hornady Brass Opinions

Hormady factory ammo in 6.5 Creedmoor was of poor quality.
Necks split early. Wall thickness thin at mouth.

Headstamp off, allowing primers to back out.

Photos & more see post #26 photo @ 4th loading.
20220812_164711.jpg

Last edited:
if people would learn to read the brass and do what the brass is telling them instead of what they read on the internet most brass with a little prep is very usable including Hornady. I have Bertram, Federal, PMC, Hornady and many others that have gone 10+reloads and still going but I do what the brass wants not what I want.

I'm currently preparing brass for my 6mm Rem AI. I found neck thickness varies by .0015 and needs turning for my chamber. I've uniformed pockets as they varied a good bit also. The biggest issue is you cant find the brass you need unless you shoot the guchi cartridges. I've had better results using PPU brass in several rifles.

if people would learn to read the brass and do what the brass is telling them instead of what they read on the internet most brass with a little prep is very usable including Hornady. I have Bertram, Federal, PMC, Hornady and many others that have gone 10+reloads and still going but I do what the brass wants not what I want.

What needs to be "read" on brass? Tumble, anneal (AMP), FL size bumping shoulder back two thousandths, tumble and load. I trim if needed otherwise I just described my brass prep in a sentence.

Don't get me wrong, Lapua brass is good stuff. With that said, 41.5 grains H4350, CCI BR-2s, 140 or 147 ELDMs and an accurate Tikka CTR consistently shoots under a minute with Hornady brass.

I've found Hornady brass to size and anneal well, and is relatively easy to work with.

Anyone else run Hornady brass? I'll keep my Lapua and Alpha Munitions, but Hornady isn't bad either.
I don't have a lot of experience with it. I have about 500 pieces between the 6.5 creeds and 6.5 PRC. I have found zero issue with the brass. It anneals differently, sizes very well, and holds up just fine to pressure. In my PRC it shoots the same charge as lapau and adg with same results. H2O capacity is the same. The metal is different tho.

What needs to be "read" on brass? Tumble, anneal (AMP), FL size bumping shoulder back two thousandths, tumble and load. I trim if needed otherwise I just described my brass prep in a sentence.
the expansion at .200 line and web, how fast is that expanding? case length, is it taking multiple shots or only one to fill chamber another indication you are reaching max pressures. primer pockets, measured with pin gages not calipers how fast and how much are they expanding. all better indications of pressure than flattening primers. different brass alloys and manufacturing processes will determine when these measurements change indicating the brass pressure limits.
not all brass is the same but if read and listened to you will be surprised how well even cheap brass lasts.

I consider Hornady to be at the bottom of the pile as far as brass goes. It's very soft. I bought 200 rounds of 25-06 factory eldx for a 25-06ai that I have. After firing it in the chamber. I'm loading the first batch now. Half of the primer pockets are quite loose. I'm not sure I will even get a third firing off this brass. It's just crap.

Of the mass produced stuff, Norma/Nosler is significantly better. In fact, I would be perfectly happy with just Norma/Nosler brass if that's all I could get.

Lapua is absolutely spectacular. Probably the best.

ADG, Petersen and Alpha are top tier too.

I consider Hornady to be at the bottom of the pile as far as brass goes. It's very soft. I bought 200 rounds of 25-06 factory eldx for a 25-06ai that I have. After firing it in the chamber. I'm loading the first batch now. Half of the primer pockets are quite loose. I'm not sure I will even get a third firing off this brass. It's just crap.

Of the mass produced stuff, Norma/Nosler is significantly better. In fact, I would be perfectly happy with just Norma/Nosler brass if that's all I could get.

I found hornady to be opposite of soft….the stuff I've tried has been useful enough but it's HARD, but not in a good way, hard as in "brittle" not hard as in "tough". Similar to modern Winchester regarding neck splitting issues.

Send me all the Hornady brass you want throw away!

I have used a few brands but when I started on my 308 I used Hornady Match brass (from a case of factory ammo). I used it until I lost count of reloadings at 8-10xs (nephew put it all in the tumbler... now it is AR10 fodder). A friend gave me a case of once fired FGMM brass, that is where I learned about work hardening cases and therefore poor man annealing (torch n' socket). It works!

Bought a new rifle and 300 pieces of new/virgin Hornady brass. Have never fired factory ammo in that gun. One batch of 50 was fired a week ago at loading #8. It is now on the bench waiting to be poor man annealed and go for #9. Oh, and with that ammo I (ME!!) was getting the steel plates out to 1220 with that crappy brass and my loads with ELD-M's. Even got a first round hit on a steel silo/hostage taker target - middle forhead of taker - 626 yards - ON PURPOSE EVEN!!!!!!

I am limited in experence as to brands of brass, having not used Alpha, Petersons, etc. Hope to, but I have used Winchester, RP, Federal, Nosler, and Hornady in short and long action cartridges. Bough a few boxes of NORMA 7-08 ammo to break in my daughters rifle and try that brass out. But if there had been Hornady Match for 7-08 available, I would have chosen that instead. I am looking forward to trying out NORMA brass.

Load what you got, shoot and learn, have fun and PASS IT ON!

I have used many brands over the years and as I have matured, I value accuracy over velocity. If I find one node 150 fps slower than the max node where the max leaves a slight ejector mark, I generally load to the lower.

I have some 300wm Hornaday brass that's going strong after 5-6 reloads. But Hornaday wouldn't ever be my first choice. I've generally went to premium brass whenever available, but I wouldn't shy away from Hornaday if it was the only thing available to me.

It's really weird how 2 different shooters can use the same product and have experiences at each end of the spectrum. I certainly believe you experience, but mine was much different. When I got my custom 25/06 I purchased a box of Hornady brass (50). The load I used was 100 gr Sierra MK over 54.7 grs of Norma MRP lit with a CCI200. I got 17 reloads out of each case before I dumped the batch and the primer pockets were still real tight. Even to the point that I was more comfortable using my Lee Ram Prime tool rather than my RCBS hand primer. JME