Homemade reloading benchtop material?

Thanks for this thread. I have never envisioned so many innovative designs for making a reloading bench. I wish that this thread was available 50 years ago. By the way it is embarrassing to see so many clean and orderly reloading benches and rooms. I have got to get to work!

The time has come and the wife has green lit my reloading bench project for the new house. Was walking through Lowes today looking at material and got to wondering what you all are using as a bench top?

My only friend who reloads swears I need a thick butchers block top to handle the torque of my progressive presses while reloading and states that plywood will bend, warp, and compress while running the presses.

I've seen a lot of reloading benches posted here and I can't recall seeing a single one with butchers-block bench top. What reinforcement (if any) are you using for your presses on your reloading benches to prevent the top from flexing while running your presses?
The time has come and the wife has green lit my reloading bench project for the new house. Was walking through Lowes today looking at material and got to wondering what you all are using as a bench top?

My only friend who reloads swears I need a thick butchers block top to handle the torque of my progressive presses while reloading and states that plywood will bend, warp, and compress while running the presses.

I've seen a lot of reloading benches posted here and I can't recall seeing a single one with butchers-block bench top. What reinforcement (if any) are you using for your presses on your reloading benches to prevent the top from flexing while running your presses?

Screenshot_20191229-181855_Gallery.jpg
I made this from 2 pieces of 3/4 birch plywood. it's at least 10 years old and not warped in any way and it gets used alot

My wife was a sales rep for Corian. He received a shipment that "escaped" the manufacturing process, slight blemishes. The whole shipment was to be either returned or destroyed. She got an OK from Corian to take a couple of slabs. Lucky me, my bench. is now a 12 foot "L" shaped slab of 3/4" Corian. I did add a piece of 3/8's steel stock under the bench to keep the bolt heads from marring the bench.

I have built many reloading benches with friends and for myself.. if you wish to make a really indestructible bench top use laminated 2X4's on edge. then laminate the front and back with one 2X6 or 2X8. Cap both ends with the same 2X6 or 2X8. your bench will not warp or bend or give in any way. it will also be 1/4 the price of butcher's block. once you have made this top preserving it with 6 to 20 coats of polyurethane would be a great idea.. the bottom should be at least sealed with 3 coats of polyurethane.
Right now I have a bench with two 3/4" 7 ply plywood laminated together. it has yet to warp, bend, move in any fashion.
My 2 cents worth.

Picked up 3 12"x8' old glue lam beams. Drilled holes and attached all three size by side with 36" threaded rod. Attached 3/4 plywood with oak veneer on top .Real simple real strong.

My previous one was a maple butcher-block and was great. Current is our previous kitchen counter-top (laminate, aka "Formica" on two layers of 3/4" particle board) that was replaced with cement. Both work, the Maple was nicer, (I still have it but it is now too short).

Last edited:
I've never heard of leveling a press. What benefit does that provide?

None if the table is level.

When I mounted my press I put a level on the shell holder and the top of my press. I had to shim the front side to make it perfectly square. It could be over kill but I want my case to enter the die square as possible

This won't change how the case enters the die as that is all pre-determined by the press. It would hold the powder and the bullet more level I guess.

Find a cabinet shop, ask where they get their wood. This shop will sell 1.5" plywood. You will NEVER regret putting that thick top on your bench!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.