Home made hot dog franks

I've never used this recipe but looks like it'd be a good place to start.

I don't have one but a simple blend of salt, garlic, onion and fine white pepper would do the trick. Being it's for the kids go mild on the spices and you'll be fine.

Double if not triple grind your meat with a little water. If you've ever watched how hot dogs are made they're actually emulsified.

Do yourself a favor and pick up some sheet casings on a plastic sleeve. If you've ever worked with sheep casings you know what a pain they can. This takes all of the mind numbing work out of it. I use these for a modified dried sausage receipe.

These will make small links, more like a breakfast link. If you want to fat dogs then find the smallest hog casing you can get. Again, get the ones on the sleeves.

Please please please don't use artificial casings.

Bearded Butcher didn't have a link to print so I copy and pasted it to my documents and will print it later but the two others I printed out.
My grand daughter is young and has tastes unlike most kids so I'll have to adjust for that.
Thanks for the help!

I don't have one but a simple blend of salt, garlic, onion and fine white pepper would do the trick. Being it's for the kids go mild on the spices and you'll be fine.

Double if not triple grind your meat with a little water. If you've ever watched how hot dogs are made they're actually emulsified.

Do yourself a favor and pick up some sheet casings on a plastic sleeve. If you've ever worked with sheep casings you know what a pain they can. This takes all of the mind numbing work out of it. I use these for a modified dried sausage receipe.

These will make small links, more like a breakfast link. If you want to fat dogs then find the smallest hog casing you can get. Again, get the ones on the sleeves.

Please please please don't use artificial casings.
Thanks Slick8,good thinking as she won't eat anything hot.
I make smoked sausage every year and always use hog casings for them but 2 years ago I had some casings that were way too tough.
Was told the reason was old casings!So the next year(Last Year)I soaked the casings in water with 1/4 cup of white vinegar all day and it helped big time.Tender as usual.Actually I soaked them overnight and part of the next morning as I prepped everything else.
So I talked to the meat cutter at our favorite supermarket and he agreed the sheep casings would be best.
I will try each recipe with 1/2 or maybe 1/4 size to make sure she likes the one I finally pick for her.
I will let you know the results!
Also I use the tubbed casings when I can find the right size.

Last edited: