high value low cost optics, scopes binoculars, spotters ect.

Thats not a bad piece of kit, I like the 1/8 moa clicks, if they hold up they could ruffle a few feathers,

john
I have been fairly impressed with it, for the price. I mean, it sure ain't no NF or Zeiss....But I wouldn't hesitate to put it up against other scopes in the $0 to $750 category.

I have been fairly impressed with it, for the price. I mean, it sure ain't no NF or Zeiss....But I wouldn't hesitate to put it up against other scopes in the $0 to $750 category.

Thats the spirit !!

Good to see A person just enjoying the sport for what it is,

Think I might check em out myself theres always room for more in my world

John

Thats the spirit !!

Good to see A person just enjoying the sport for what it is,

Think I might check em out myself theres always room for more in my world

John
Yep....It's hard seeing all the guys out there with their NF's and S&B's and you have a $350 scope on a nice rifle....But you get over it once you start slinging lead downrange, and stacking them in nice cloverleafs.

I own many differing priced optics from 150 up to 1800+ but they dont have anything to do with this topic,

Yes Zeiss is Ultra cool, and these guys will move up that ladder as they get past the basics as their skills grow along with the sheer desire to want to get better and better and keep going with this hobby/Skill

congrats on the Optics, (A thing of Beauty)

John

Ive HAD Tasco stuff....and also kicked my own *** for spending the $$ for it and not keeping it to get something more upscale.

Ive HAD Tasco stuff....and also kicked my own *** for spending the $$ for it and not keeping it to get something more upscale.
I have a Tasco World Class I've had for 15 years that cost $100 when new, and it's still alive and kicking...

It is possible for cheap things to last longer than more expensive things. Although it is rare. Usually, in the shooting world, expensive items will outlast the cheap ones...

I have a Tasco World Class I've had for 15 years that cost $100 when new, and it's still alive and kicking...

It is possible for cheap things to last longer than more expensive things. Although it is rare. Usually, in the shooting world, expensive items will outlast the cheap ones...

My old spotting scope is a Tasco World Class and only now am I going to buy another one just because some of them Have ranging Reticles in them, But saying that the rotary controls on it are still firm and smooth as silk, I can read .22 holes at 150/200 yds at a pinch with the thing, and I just bought a new tripod like the Military ones for about $40.00 and its just about perfect Oh and I bought it in 1997,

PS, were you that young man that was waiting to be served in the shop when they were taking my money,LOL

John

Its not how long they last...its how do they perform while they are alive! Does that Tasco scope perform anywhere near the level of the Zeiss scopes you have? See what I mean?

Its not how long they last...its how do they perform while they are alive! Does that Tasco scope perform anywhere near the level of the Zeiss scopes you have? See what I mean?

No one is saying they will match the performance and they were never made to be that good,

It seems that there is some people who can afford these hi end optics that seem to have an issue with the cheaper items and their User's
What are people who only have a limited income surposed to do, Stop shooting because S&B or NF say so,

Some earlier comments on here are really dispicable, These people on a limited income were Allowed to have their Opinion when everyone was Freightend that the government were going to bring in new Gun Laws and then their Opinions Mattered and so did their Signatures on those Partitions, But now the Tide has turned again.

Time to Man up, All Shooters are part of the same Team, It dont matter what club or part of the world they're from or Even how much Money they've got, The NRA is all over the World and we have nearly all joined the NRA in our Shooting career's and those that have'nt Should,

Lighten Up Guys we're in this together

Blessin's John

Last edited:
When ya pay $190 for a Tasco...and I pay $700 for a Zeiss.....I wouldnt call the Zeiss "high end" price wise...quality wise...yes...but not price wise.

Problem actually is that far too many people have the "gotta haves" and want their toys RIGHT NOW....hence they will buy low priced junk instead of holding back for some amount of time and getting lots better. I see it in my own brother

He doesnt have a nickle or the pot to **** in...but sure has tons of outright JUNK sitting around his place

When ya pay $190 for a Tasco...and I pay $700 for a Zeiss.....I wouldnt call the Zeiss "high end" price wise...quality wise...yes...but not price wise.

Problem actually is that far too many people have the "gotta haves" and want their toys RIGHT NOW....hence they will buy low priced junk instead of holding back for some amount of time and getting lots better. I see it in my own brother

He doesnt have a nickle or the pot to **** in...but sure has tons of outright JUNK sitting around his place

Sully2, I think that even Zeiss's low end Optic are a work of Art and when you see that Name on them you know your in good company,

If some folks are buying these Lower priced Items at leased they are having fun and hopefully learning something too, But yes in the long run they might be happier if they saved and bought something a little higher priced, But they dont seem to have an issue with the cheaper Brands and if they dont then I cant see why other people should worry because they are not the ones having to use it,
But you will find that anyone who is serious about shooting wont wait long before they start throwing every spare penny into it

I won some of my medals with an old second hand Rifle that cost me $450.00 + gettin the Bolt reinforced $10.00, within no Time at all (about three month) I had a 30-06 with a Timney Trigger and A Shillin Barrel etc etc, shooting out to 1500+, People will make the Transition Naturally all they need is the encouragement,

I dont think a Deer gives a hoot what brand of crosshairs are tattooed on it,

My Gear ranges from Tasco, Bushnell to Leupold and I'm also checking out Vortex, I have even Added a Tablet Pc and A Peli Storm case in to the Mix in an effort to Organise what I want to achieve,

Theres one thing for sure and that is This Sport/hobby sure is a Money Pit and we are only here once so we might as well make the best of it, Thats for Sure

John

John is correct. I never said my Tasco performed like my Zeiss' or Kahles scopes....But it will still kill deer just as good, and has done so ALOT when I was growing up.

All I was stating is that just b/c the pricetag on something is high, doesn't mean it's the best or better. Over the years (in general) I've bought some expensive high-dollar crap, that certaiy turned out to be just that....Crap. Same goes for some low-end stuff that tore up.

Yes, I have some nice and expensive equipment, but that's what trading around alot will eventually get you. LOL But I also have some very functional low-end stuff too, so I never automatically discredit lower priced stuff based simply on price. Know what I mean?

Man this thread has blown UP!

when I started it i had no Idea, But Im back looking through this stuff and shaking my head. Maybe others are defending there 200$ scopes as "just as good as"...... insert high end company here<--------- But from the start I said no they arent as good as but they can do the job. If you have a .338 Lapua long range means something entirely different than me shooting a 22WMR long range, wich is 300-400 yds, or Shooting my AR-15 long range which is 600 yds. Again for a .338 that is a laser beam out to my extreme range it seems stupid. But long range does not start at a certain distance, Caliber and rifle are the base for long range shooting, a 22 lr @ 300 yds is very similar to a .308 @ 1000. so is shooting a 22lr out to 300 yds not long range?

I have moved away from shooting long range with my AR-15. I now have an Aimpoint PRO and a 3x magnifier. I do still push my 22wmr out as far as I can reliably hit a 15" square plate. But on my AR-15 I had a vortex Strikefire. A very good high quality low cost alternative to an Aimpoint, I bought the Aimpoint PRO a $400 aimpoint instead of the usual $800+ for Aimpoint and mount. the difference between the two is negligible. Extruded housing vs aluminum tubing. and 3 years constant on battery instead of 5 or 8, and only 6 day 3 night settings instead of 9 day 4 night.

My quest for getting the most for my money has not ended. And even if I had the money to spend on a 3k scope I most likely wouldnt, why? because I dont need something that is military tough like US optics Or NF. a high quality 1500$ scope would do the same job, and at a lighter weight.

You guys who tell someone that they are not shooting long range, are just being arrogant snobs, sorry but its true, you think you have the best, everyone would like to believe what we like is the best, however most of us are not that naive, or conceded.

If you dont like whats being said here or you think its wrong, instead of attacking what we are doing or calling us stupid. try making suggestions, give advice. anything but be being a dick. you started where we are at one point never forget that, you didnt buy a Surgeon action and a 3k scope for your first rifle, And if you did you were just like that guy At my club with the barret 92 who cant hit anything at 300 yds snikering at my 22wmr, until I smoke you in a shooting competition. then your humbled and start to listen. BTW the next week the guy with the 10k rifle and no skills showed up with the same gun and ammo I have. And now we are good friends and he can now shoot his Barrett. AFTER HE STARTED AT THE BEGINNING!!!!!!!

I have a few nice low cost things for you guys,

Simmons LRF 600 will actually range reliably to 800 yds and its 125$ unless its really foggy and or dusty. then 400 is the limit. So it might work for you hunters
Vortex 8x36 RT Solo a ranging reticle monocular for 120$ Very good glass. and its the only reticle'd monocular i could find for under 300$
I know this Is a long range hunting forum So red dot sights are probably not suitable for most but If your like me you have interest in both 3 gun and long range shooting. As I mentioned before the Vortex strikefire a $200 dollar good alternative to an aimpoint. some things are annoying but its a good clear optic thats not too heavy. The Aimpoint PRO is a lower cost aimpoint with slightly older circuitry and less brightness settings and and aluminum tube instead of an extrusion. But for all intensive purposes the same thing, its still diveable to 150ft.
The Burris Ar-tripler is a great low cost alternative to the Aimpoint and Eotech magnifiers. the optics are bright and very clear, the only downside is the mount not rated for anything over .223, But other stronger mounts are availible. Also the eye relief is slightly critical but so are the Aimpoint and eotech versions.

All I was stating is that just b/c the pricetag on something is high, doesn't mean it's the best or better. Over the years (in general) I've bought some expensive high-dollar crap, that certaiy turned out to be just that....Crap. Same goes for some low-end stuff that tore up.

Yeah I hear ya there Mate,

As a kid growing up I always wanted the James Bond watch (Rolex Sub) anyway in 1995 I bought the Rolex Sea Dweller 4000, Dang thing, Three times I took it back to the factory and this last time I picked it up from there We took the Kids to an Amusement park and one of the rides Killed it, Turned out it was gaining 3 and a 1/2 minates in half a day, and then I told my local expert about it and his words I have never forgot, he said (IT'S A ROLEX ITS NOT SURPOSED TO KEEP TIME), Well not for $8000 of my money, so now I have a Citezen Eco-Drive (Charges its self and for shooting A Suunto Vector) which I can buy the Batteries from the local store and have done for the past 16yrs,

Some of these Budget options are better that those named brands, My Tasco Spotting Scope is of the same Quality as any 700-1000 dollar scope of todays prices, As for the later model well I have yet to look at one, and from A Tacticle point of view its better than most because of the color and power and small enough to go in a pack, and like I said before the only reason I'm buying another spotting scope is because I want one with a MilDot or TMR Reticle in it,

Blessin's John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.