HEY ELK GUIDES!!

Pbgunrunner

I spent the rainy afternoon researching and reaching out to guides for a 2021 elk hunt, out of 20 websites I chose to send emails to-SEVEN, YES SEVEN- Had valid emails or had their web based contact page working. So 13 out of 20 didnt get my information requesting more information. C'mon guys! We cant spend our money with you if we cant reach you!!!

Hey, we do not have a need for a website. Our business has been all word of mouth and a few sportsman's shows. With our remote location our internet service is sooner slow as well. We have had no problem booking our hunts as we are fully booked for 2020 and 95 percent booked for 2021. It's not all about the websites! What would you trust more? What your buddy tells you or what you read on the internet?

I'm glad for your success. But unfortunately I live in Iowa and apparently dont know a single person that's hunted with you (theres only 328 million people in the country). So I have to rely on boards and the internet for my research. My point was if you are going to have a big elaborate website make sure the fricken contact info works!! If you dont need one then all the better!

I spent the rainy afternoon researching and reaching out to guides for a 2021 elk hunt, out of 20 websites I chose to send emails to-SEVEN, YES SEVEN- Had valid emails or had their web based contact page working. So 13 out of 20 didnt get my information requesting more information. C'mon guys! We cant spend our money with you if we cant reach you!!!
Did you apply for MT nonresident for 2021 by chance? The deadline was April 1st

I did not, unfortunately. Guess I'm behind the curve! I didnt realize they drew so far out???
if this is your first elk hunt find an outfitter with landowner permits some place and go that route I think you will come out money ahead

As referenced above, give them a call! Most of the Outfitters Ive had experience with live in remote areas challenged by crappy internet service. This site is a great place for references if you don't have any buddy's local who have experience.
The particular outfit I have used with great success has a website but MUCH prefers you to give them a call. Its a husband and wife who run the business with the husband handling the guide work and the wife taking care of tags, arrangements, etc. He proudly professes his lack of technical knowledge but I'd trust him to find the last elk on earth!! 😁

I second the notion of good old fashioned talking to people rather than relying on the internet.
Ideally talk to someone you trust who has actually been on a hunt with the guide you are hunting with, or at least talk to several people so you know he's not just cherry-picking clients.

A friend of mine and I went to Alaska with an outfitter who advertised in Cabela's. The guide himself was a decent kid, but the tents were Eurekas porous to the fine blowing snow (the guide himself of course had a proper tent which was nice and dry); I wouldn't and didn't send my daughter to girl scout camp in something that flimsy. The guide had a Whisperlite stove but it didn't work, so couldn't boil water after day 2. No working water filter. And, I swear, he had a rifle he had not sighted in (because he broke the scope on his primary rifle) and FIVE rounds of ammo with fresh meat in camp in grizzly country. I had 40 rounds of which I did expend 3 scaring off a sow with 2 cubs, but that's another story.

Another friend and his son went to Alaska on a float trip; guide dropped them off with their gear and was to return the next day with the rafts; got drunk and showed up 5 days later. We were all experienced outdoorsmen and did OK.

Most guides are super cool and honest but the internet is not your best friend. So Alaska is tough because the likelihood of knowing someone there is slim but tons of folks on here from Montana.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.