Help with dating a older Model 70

Some of the above posters have no idea what they are talking about. That gun in the picture is definitely a Classic FWT which manufacture of started in '92 or 3. Serial number would probably indicate manufacture in 1st or 2nd year. I had a collection of 25 of them including several custom shop rifles. I thought they were the best model 70's ever built. You might find the exact date by joining the Winchester Collectors ***. However, I think they charge a fee for a letter.
You and another guy seem to know and be pretty certain it's a early nineties so that's what I'm going with. Thanks

Now to decide if I take it out and shoot it or just put it on Gunjoker... One identical to it sold for $1300 🤑
That's a hard call. I love my pushfeed model 70. It's in a McMillan stock FWT so real light. Slick bolt and that three position safety was made for hunting. Being in GA I'd consider selling it and getting a stainless. But hey if you like it use it!

Edit: I had a pretty Sako but it was too nice and I was nervous hunting with it. When I got my pushfeed Model 70 it was used and has a pitted bore. But it shoots good enough for 400 yard range so no worries hunting with it!

Now to decide if I take it out and shoot it or just put it on Gunjoker... One identical to it sold for $1300 🤑
I think if you shoot it you will never sell it. Other than pre-'64, the early 90's New Haven Classics, are my favorites and like another member said, one of the finest WIN M70 made. But, that my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Its definitely a cluster **** trying date a Winchester rifle. I was looking to sale it because its just to nice of a safe queen for me. I figure some potential buyer would probably be curious of the year. Which I now have it narrowed down to a 60s,70s,80s or 90s manufactur date 😬
G Prefix serial number and claw extractor, mid 1990's or later.
New Haven, Conn. ? South Carolina or Portugal ?

Sometime early 1990's through 2006.
Sorry I can't be more specific, I don't have my reference materials handy.
What's it chambered in ?

I'm not sure I'd want to date a 70 year old model, but if she does it for you, go for it!
One definite plus is it's highly unlikely you need to worry about her dad pointing a shotgun at you 🤣. Though there are some real tough old birds out there I wouldn't want mad at me even their 90s (or 100s)

Ok... from what I can find, Blue Book... 39th Mod 70 featherweight in .270 Win was new in 1991.... the Classic Model featherweight in .270 Win was "disc" in 2000 the main feature was jeweled bolt and knurled bolt handle. So that would lead me to believe that your rifle is between 1991 and 2000 with it being close to 2000 due to the "Classic feature" which it looks like you have.
There are models with the suffix "XTR" that is on your rifles.? I wouldn't think so in your case it only lasted until 1985

Cheers