Heavy Bolt Lift

ishootkittens

Hey Everyone, been a while. I decided to pull the 300 Norma out of the safe a few days ago and forgot why I put it up for so long to begin with, but I remembered as soon as I shot the first round. The BOLT LIFT IS LIKE MOVING A MOUNTAIN.

Strangely, it is built on a BAT action and it's as sturdy as they come. I posted a thread on here a few years ago about the bolt lift and at the time no one was able to help me. I decided to revisit the forum to see if anyone had any ideas or have encountered this problem. The bolt is much heavier than any of my other factory bolt guns and after I pull the trigger (even on an empty chamber) the bolt lift becomes EVEN heavier. It's so frustrating trying to "feel" pressure signs before viewing brass as the bolt lift is always heavy. I've lubed this thing to death, I've changed out triggers, I've tried factory ammo. I've even sent the **** thing back to BAT and in about 2 weeks I received my action back with a note that assured me everything was working flawlessly.

They obviously know more about the products than I do, but I just can't understand how they could not feel such a heavy bolt lift as compared to the other rem 700's, savages, tigers, etc that I have. I just wonder if it's not the firing pin spring. And if it is, I'm afraid to alter it in fear of inducing ignition problems.

Any suggestions guys?

I have a 300 norm on a Kelbly atlas action, I haven't encountered and bolt lift issues even when running hot loads, but the bolt handle is very long.

I have a 300 norm on a Kelbly atlas action, I haven't encountered and bolt lift issues even when running hot loads, but the bolt handle is very long.
Dry lifting and already cocked it is still much heavier than I'd like, especially at the top of the stroke. I took the firing pin assembly completely out a few minutes ago and it is SMOOOTH and solid but also naturally extremely light. But I can verify that it isnt the lugs or a hangup in the chamber area. The action is beautiful and would be my favorite (and most expensive) but it's so disappointing that it's so heavy. Testing loads with it is extremely difficult because after pulling the trigger it is very hard to lift.

I did notice something after putting the firing pin assembly back into the bolt and working the bolt a few time. When I start to push the bolt down into the locking position (firing position), you can feel the spring literally pull the bolt down almost jerking it out of my hands. If that makes since. For example if my bolt was a 90 degree throw, at about 75-80 degrees the bolt starts to pull itself downwards and I can let go and it will slam itself into place.

Is that the same Batt Tactical action that we had problems with back in 2015 ?
Jesus, RockZ has a memory like an elephant. Yes sir, I've tried all I know to do except try a new spring. I even sent the thing back to Bat and they sent to back with an initialed paper saying everything was fine and it showed no problems. BUT I AM NOT NEW TO THIS GAME, ALLLL of my rifle bolts are lighter than this 1400$ action. It's just disappointing.

Does you bat action have a trigger hanger or just install with pins through the action itsell?

How is it with the firing pin & spring removed? If it's good with them removed, it's got to have something to do with only a couple of things: Firing pin spring itself, timing of where the trigger catches the firing pin, or something to do with the geometry of the cut at the back of the bolt that cocks the firing pin on bolt lift. How does everything feels as you unscrew the firing pin & bolt shroud assembly from the bolt?

Sorry to hear that!
I just shot mine last week and it's very smooth.
I sent it back and they smoothed out the cocking piece and that was the fix.
I was still disappointed that initially my $1,400 action felt like a Savage.
Though I do like Savage actions and have many of them!
But the Bat should be like butter.

Sorry to hear that!
I just shot mine last week and it's very smooth.
I sent it back and they smoothed out the cocking piece and that was the fix.
I was still disappointed that initially my $1,400 action felt like a Savage.
Though I do like Savage actions and have many of them!
But the Bat should be like butter.
My BAT is like butter! Its also like closing and opening a bank vault as opposed to a cheap gun safe. Im pretty sure BAT will not let it slide if there is something wrong.
They take a lot of pride in what they build and couldnt afford to do otherwise.

What you describe as the bolt self closing at ~80% I picture as the pin falling forward a bit, as the cocking piece clears it's ramp (to the slot where it would fall on trigger pull).
This, similar to de-cocking a bolt action with the trigger pulled while closing a bolt.

When you close the bolt, the sear catches the cocking piece, to hold the firing pin back as bolt turn clears the cocking ramp to allow pin fall on firing. Normally the pin is held back enough with this that it does not fall any with full bolt turn. Can you flip your trigger hanger around? What trigger is it?