Headache after shooting

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

This might be sort of an off topic but I've been getting a pretty good headache after shooting a 7.5 lb 7mm rem mag. I have been shooting magnums for awhile and never noticed this in the past.
Has anyone else experienced this? I shoot prone from a bipod and usually the headache sets in after 4 to 5 rounds, the recoil doesn't bother me in any other way though so this seems weird..

Are you shooting in open air or under a cover like at some ranges? Concusion is a lot more under a roof at a range. 7.5 is a bit lite for Magnum. We're others you have shooting heavier? Is the rifle smacking you in the cheek? Maybe you were dehydrated, might make a difference.

If you are wearing the proper hearing protection, it is most likely from straining muscles in your neck and back, while shooting from a bipod. Are you using the proper rear bag support and proper positioning to be comfortable while getting your cheek weld and shoulder position, or are you fighting things. Being older or out of shape can make extended prone shooting a real pain, I know. If this is not causing your problem, check with a doctor to be safe.

If you are wearing the proper hearing protection, it is most likely from straining muscles in your neck and back, while shooting from a bipod. Are you using the proper rear bag support and proper positioning to be comfortable while getting your cheek weld and shoulder position, or are you fighting things. Being older or out of shape can make extended prone shooting a real pain, I know. If this is not causing your problem, check with a doctor to be safe.

+1! I don't get headaches but I can definitely relate on straining muscles in my neck at varying levels during extended prone. I have a bad back but it actually feels good when I am on my stomach/prone position.

You can try to isolate the hearing protection concern/issue by simulating your prone shooting position and duration in your backyard as close to the same condition as when you get a headaches without actually firing your weapon ... just a thought for your consideration.

Good luck!

Ed

I often get a headache after shooting. I believe it's the gun powder. I shoot at a range with a roof over the benches, and my rifles have brakes and I can smell the burnt powder every time I pull the trigger. I used to have a small reloading room it was a closet. After hanging out in there for a few hours, I would get a head ache. Now my reloading room is actually a room, and that problem stopped...

I often get a headache after 3-4 rounds of trap or skeet (100 or so rounds of 12 gauge), its the cumulative effect of recoil...

The only rifle that ever gave me a headache was a hot loaded 45-70, a light little lever gun firing 405 grain bullets at near 2,000 fps...yeah, that hurt.

Are you shooting in open air or under a cover like at some ranges? Concusion is a lot more under a roof at a range. 7.5 is a bit lite for Magnum. We're others you have shooting heavier? Is the rifle smacking you in the cheek? Maybe you were dehydrated, might make a difference.

Hmm I definitely pull my cheek in tight to the stock so I can track my shots, I have noticed that my 9.5 lb 338 RUM (has a Brake) sort of gives me a jaw and head ache but that's a whole lot more recoil than my 7mm. I just got the 7mm (Tikka T3 Super lite) and the recoil is a quick snap but very manageable.

I do have my head pulled back a little and usually compress my neck when shooting at inclines (all of my shooting is in the open), I'm in my early thirties so it's not uncomfortable for me.

Maybe it's cumulative effect from shooting heavy recoilers for years?? It just seems weird that suddenly I start getting a headache..

Thanks for the input everyone.

its the cumulative effect of recoil...

That's my experience and the experience of others I've talked with shooting heavy recoiling rifles. And it can happen with as few as 1-3 shots in a heavy recoiling firearm. I shot a lightweight 375 Weatherby three times and developed a notable headache after the second shot. Other physical signs of discomfort were also experienced with the headache. Rifle weighed 7 1/2 lbs, total, at the time I fired those shots - prone, with a quality sissy pad on my shoulder. One 270gr bullet, one 285gr bullet. I fired one more bullet, 300gr, over chronographs. DONE. Never fired it again until a muzzle brake was installed. BIG improvement and no more headaches. About a week after reporting this at the local gunshop, another shooter came into the shop after shooting a heavy recoiling rifle and experienced the same symptoms as I had with the .375

Those three shots were the first three I'd ever fired from this rifle without the additional weight of a mounted scope. The loss of the scope and scope ring weight resulted in too much recoil. That or my brain is more fragile with age... :) And that could very well be part of it...:D Seriously, younger tissue is more injury resistant to damage than older body material. I presume the vessels in the brain are more injury susceptible, as well as the gray matter itself. We can't be doing ourselves any favors, just as boxers don't do their brains any favors.

I've also gotten a headache from shooting some high powered Brenneke slugs from my lightweight 12ga shotgun. 1 3/8oz slugs at 1600fps MV. Maiming from both ends of this short-barrelled 870. But much less from the recoil pad than out the muzzle.

You may be clenching your teeth when firing your rifle without realizing it.

Clenching your teeth and adding the recoil of the rifle could bring on a headache quickly. Your jaw can do weird things to your head.

I hope you figure it out quickly. I am one of the lucky people who have cluster headaches and I feel your pain.

Good luck.

I shoot 300 win mag, 300 Remington Ultra mag, 7MM STW, 7 mag, 257 Weatherby and 45 90 (steel but plate). The 7 MM mag, to me, is the most punishing round I have shot. It hurts me each time I shoot it. I usually re barrel to something else, that's how much i dread shooting that caliber. I buy them mainly because I can get them cheap and have a donor action. The last two 7 mags I bought changed to a 257 Weatherby and a soon to be 338 Sin, I didn't even shoot the last one. I spun the barrel off before I had the temptation to shoot it and confirm that I hate that round.

There's a psychosomatic / subconscious element involved between you and the 7mm Rem Mag. Unless your 7mm Rem Mags all weighed 1/2 the weight of your other rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.