Hard hitting, accurate load with a .308 168 grain berger bullet.

I have used the same load as Trigger Puller, but for tactical matches. I have never shot an animal with it. I use 175 SMK's now, but would not hunt with them.

Here are my accuracy load combo's:

1. 42.8grn Allian AR Comp, 168 Nosler Ballistic Tip, F210m, RWS Brass, 2750fps Avg, ES 4, SD 2.8, Shot a 1.5" 3shot group at 718yds. (.4grn over max, work up to it) This produced a .116" 3 shot prone 100yds

2. 43grn RL15, same components, 175 Nosler custom comp, 5shots at 998yds just a shade over 1MOA. 4 of 5 scored a 10, one pushed to a 9 just shy of the 10 ring. Est fps of 2650fps .117" 3 shot prone 100yds

3. 45grn RL15 same as above w/ all components: 2750fps confirmed, 14fps ES

All bullets set at 2.300" using Hornady comparator measuring to the ogive.

Currently tinkering with the Berger 175 OTM, but looking like the 43grn RL15 or 45grn RL15 will be my load for my first year of F-class

I agree with Ican, use a bigger bullet, and if your hunting Hogs I hear they are tough, use a better bullet, your going to need some penetration, try an accubond, partition or Barnes.

Did you ever come up with a load that you liked. I can say that the load I posted will kill a pig. I shot one yesterday @ 425 and he dropped like a rock. I found that I could push them faster but lost the accuarcy.

Here are my accuracy load combo's:

1. 42.8grn Allian AR Comp, 168 Nosler Ballistic Tip, F210m, RWS Brass, 2750fps Avg, ES 4, SD 2.8, Shot a 1.5" 3shot group at 718yds. (.4grn over max, work up to it) This produced a .116" 3 shot prone 100yds

2. 43grn RL15, same components, 175 Nosler custom comp, 5shots at 998yds just a shade over 1MOA. 4 of 5 scored a 10, one pushed to a 9 just shy of the 10 ring. Est fps of 2650fps .117" 3 shot prone 100yds

3. 45grn RL15 same as above w/ all components: 2750fps confirmed, 14fps ES

All bullets set at 2.300" using Hornady comparator measuring to the ogive.

Currently tinkering with the Berger 175 OTM, but looking like the 43grn RL15 or 45grn RL15 will be my load for my first year of F-class

Liltank if you don't mind me asking what length tube are you using ?

Ive been using IMR 8208 with 175 Bergers for a .5 moa load from 20" factory barrel. Guesstimate I'm getting 2550 fps.

Liltank if you don't mind me asking what length tube are you using ?

Ive been using IMR 8208 with 175 Bergers for a .5 moa load from 20" factory barrel. Guesstimate I'm getting 2550 fps.

28" 1:12 Lothar Walther. The thing is crazy accurate. I have thought about the 8208, but thinking I might try the CFE223 for the 175's. I'll have to shoot some with the RL15 and see what my 1000yd groups look like.

Ohhh Yeah..... I shoot a 168 gr VLD Hunting bullet from my 28 in Shilen barrel off a Savage Model 10. I hope you're sitting down....

Alliant Power Pro 2000 MR - 48 grains = 2950 Vel.

Does it work? You bet... I took three deer this year from 330 to 500 yards with that load. Keep in mind, it's my F Class rifle and I was shooting off the picnic table in the back of the farm. Don't laugh... my freezer is full.

Ohhh Yeah..... I shoot a 168 gr VLD Hunting bullet from my 28 in Shilen barrel off a Savage Model 10. I hope you're sitting down....

Alliant Power Pro 2000 MR - 48 grains = 2950 Vel.

Does it work? You bet... I took three deer this year from 330 to 500 yards with that load. Keep in mind, it's my F Class rifle and I was shooting off the picnic table in the back of the farm. Don't laugh... my freezer is full.

I've been wondering about the Pro 2000. Do you have to adjust your load with temp? Did you try it with 175's? Do you shoot the 168's in 1000yd competition? Is 48grs a max load?

The powder is not temp sensitive at all. During my load developement, for both 168s and 175s, I was about to walk my loads up to 3200 fps.... way about any published loads. Yeah, I know, it sounds crazy... but it works. My personal load is above the published MAX, so I would prefer not to list. I've used it a couple times at 1000, but there's lots of drift. I prefer to use my 1-7 twist .223 Wylde with 90 gr Bergers and Power Pro 2000...... 3100 fps out of a 28 inch barrel. It's won several matches.

The powder is not temp sensitive at all. During my load developement, for both 168s and 175s, I was about to walk my loads up to 3200 fps.... way about any published loads. Yeah, I know, it sounds crazy... but it works. My personal load is above the published MAX, so I would prefer not to list. I've used it a couple times at 1000, but there's lots of drift. I prefer to use my 1-7 twist .223 Wylde with 90 gr Bergers and Power Pro 2000...... 3100 fps out of a 28 inch barrel. It's won several matches.

I've often thought about using a 223 for F/TR. I am going to give it a try this year with the .308 and see what I do. I don't have any grand expectations. Just want to experience some high power competition.

I've often thought about using a 223 for F/TR. I am going to give it a try this year with the .308 and see what I do. I don't have any grand expectations. Just want to experience some high power competition.

You've mentioned powder and bullets, do primers make a difference with accuracy?gun) I was asking on another thread about the difference between 210 and 215 primers. It seemed to me that I had to back off to start grains (42) with the 215 primers to get the accuracy I needed. As I climbed the shots just got less accurate. I am planning on getting some 210s this weekend and do more testing to see if I can get a fuller load and maintain accuracy.

Others have said the 215s could increase estram spread and standard deviation which I forgot to look up till now.

215's are definitely a hotter primer. You will have to back your loads down to keep your pressures safe. 210's in a .308 are better in my opinion, especially if you have a longer barrel. It will help to slow the powder burn offering more consistent powder burn. Though this has given me an idea that I haven't thought of before. I may have to try 215's in my shorter barrel to get a faster burn. Sounds good in theory anyway.

As far as accuracy, it can cause a slight difference in accuracy. If you try to use for example.... a federal primer and you get a flier, sometimes changing to a different primer will pull that in. Chronograph will really tell the tail of primers. It's a matter of trying them and seeing what works. I use Wolf and Federal. My cousin is exclusively CCI BR2's. So you will have to experiment. If you find an accuracy load, but your ES's aren't what you want, then you will want to try some different primers with the exact same load to see if your ES tighten up. So that is my unprofessional, completely honest, absolutely correct, without a doubt..... opinion!:D

I agree with Ican, use a bigger bullet, and if your hunting Hogs I hear they are tough, use a better bullet, your going to need some penetration, try an accubond, partition or Barnes.

Great choices. You may also like Winchester Razor Back XT

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.