Hammer performance on coyotes

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
I understand your response, except for the swipe at hecouldgo....nobody equated "$$$ with success"...he's just having fun experimenting and asking if anyone's had real world experience doing this. No reason to be snarky.
Here, I'll be snarky- I've been on the Internet almost guaranteed longer than anyone here- since '81, and shooting for longer than most, since '57. So what the heck do y'all know about either that I don't!? Ha, there. (Gee it didn't make me feel any better to say that, and the truth is, I HAVE learned a lot from guys in years past here on LRH. And BTW, those dates are accurate. ARPNET, DARPA anyone?)
What he said! Agreed 👍 200%

I have seen those teeth before . The 6 incisors on top and lower jaws are missing , the two canines top and bottom are broken and brown , dead teeth . But it looks like the 8 premolars are clean , white and still sharply pointed . I can't see the 4 top molars or the 6 lower molars but by looking at the state of the premolars I would think they are probably clean and sharp as well . It would be interesting to know how the front teeth got broken and died . The coyote may have taken a kick to the mouth that broke them off or it may have been caught in a trap and broke them chewing on the trap before it got out of it . The incisor and canine teeth say it's old by being broken and worn down as well as dead , but the premolars and molars say it isn't as old as one would think . If I were to look at just the teeth in front I would say probably 7 or 8 years but if I were to look at all of the teeth and the rest of the coyote I would probably put it at around 4 or 5 years old with a hard life having been lived . All the same it's a good one to take out of the population no matter it's age it was a tough coyote and had a hard life .

Fox and bobcats are thin skinned and bodied so the loads that I run for coyote will often have some fragments of the copper jackets exit them on the off side . The way I figured out what I wanted to use to shoot these critters was to shoot Jack rabbits ( when we had a lot of them ) and see how it affected them . After I got a load that didn't destroy a jack rabbit then I tried them on coyote in my traps and snares in the non fur season and at differing ranges . I will most likely do pretty much the same with the 124 grain hammer hunters in my 30-06 but on P D 's and coyote . when doing the testing of the 55 grain Sierra hollow point bot tail bullets I found that too fast caused a lot of devastation and too slow didn't allow them to perform as they should and they wouldn't open up . So I am thinking that the hammer hunters will be the same they will have a good speed range where they preform at their optimum and do as I want them to for coyote . Fortunately I have access to coyote carcasses to test them on and from other bullets of similar weight a starting point for the M V .

That has to be the most polite thing I've read here in the last 20 years. LOL 🤣 🤣
Well, we've seen it before, and unfortunately, will probably see it again. If it's true, our moderator did the right thing. We all know of "another" guy, who shot his mouth off, and he's no longer here either. Thanks Len. 😊 Too much good here, to be dragged down by that ! Kudos😁😁😁

Recent Posts