Hammer Bullets results on Trophy Game Safaris hunt

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Got an email form Dave Tenney today with results from the 1st day on safari in South Africa. Animals are beautiful and the country looks fantastic. Can't wait till we get a chance to go with them.

Here is his email with pics. He didn't say but I am pretty sure he is using the 133g Sledge Hammers from his 270. He said he would be using the 400g .416cal for the bigger animals.

Steve,

Results from first day

Black Wildebeest first shot was 310 yards and hit a little too high follow up shot at 200 yards. Bullet recovered, will send pics of bullet later. Second shot was quartering away and bullet recovered in off shoulder. Went maybe 75 yards after second shot.

Second animal was black springbok at 185 yards, pass through, went 5 yards.

Third animal was common springbok at 50 yards shot thru both shoulders and dropped on spot.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Steve

Got a couple updates from Trophy Game Safaris. This first one is from the day after the last one (sorry I was late getting it posted)and the second one is from yesterday. Looking forward to more to come.

Steve,

A little less to report today as I was lucky enough to get all the animals I had identified for this concession yesterday. Today the client that came with me had a few things to look for so I supported those activities. Once he was successful I was able to harvest this superb white blesbok as the evening was drawing to an end. He was 120 yards quartering away and one shot and done. I hit just slightly forward on the shoulder than what I calculated and the 133 grain Sledge Hammer exited between the neck and shoulder on the opposite side. He fell in place and never moved.

Also yes I am shooting my 270-300 win mag wildcat and pushing these Sledge Hammers at a muzzle velocity of 3,400 fps.

Tomorrow we move to our camp in the Limpopo Province so probably no hunting tomorrow due to travel and getting unpacked.

image1 (1).JPG

This is a beautiful animal.

Steve,

Things have been quiet for a couple of days as we have been working with another client to complete his safari.

I did take a management kudu today with the 270-300 Win Mag. The shot was right at 50 yards with the animal quartering towards me. The bullet entered the right front chest area and exited on the opposite side back of the rib cage. The kudu fell in place. The Sledge Hammer did extensive damage to the entry shoulder, severed the top of the heart and then exited with about a quarter size exit wound.

I have pics of this on my camera but unfortunately none with a phone I can send to you. So far the Sledge Hammers are performing flawlessly! *We still have a lot of hunting left so more pics to come! I will have a lot of pics to send you when I get home from my camera.

Hopefully soon we will get something with the 416 Ruger and the 400 grain Sledge Hammers.

Steve

As an update on animals with the 270-300 Win Mag and the 133 grain Sledge Hammer I have taken the following;

Black Wildebeest, Common Springbuck, Black Springbuck, White Blesbuck, Kudu, and two Impala.

Only one bullet recovered and that was on a 200 yard shot on the Black Wildebeest. All animals with exception of the Black Wildebeest have been one shot and done. The first shot on the Black Wildebeest I pulled high and required a follow up. Shots have ranged from 30-318 yards. All have dropped on the spot except one impala that was hit on the left front shoulder with the bullet exiting mid ribcage. This impala ran 180 yards and then fell.

Initially we had a plan with a client to go for a hippo but that client postponed until October as the river is too full now due to recent rains.

I have also taken a Zebra, an Impala and a Blue Wildebeest with the 416 Ruger and the 400 grain Sledge Hammers. The Impala and Blue Wildebeest fell in place and the Zebra went approximately 75 yards. All complete pass through and all through the heart and lungs. Shots ranged 25-75 yards as it is very thick now where we are hunting.

We are definitley impressed with the performance of the Sledge Hammers.

More hunting yet to come!

Here is a couple of pics of recovered 270cal 133g Sledge Hammer from a black wildebeest 200y impact. With the muzzle vel of 3400fps that would make impact at roughly 2900fps. Dave did not say what retained weight is but should be about 105g or more. These pics are exactly as we get in our testing.

recovered 27130SH.jpg

recovered 27130SH-2.jpg

Steve

Another update from Dave. I am sure he will fill us in when he can on the particulars of this animal when he can. These animals are fantastic and the country looks great.

Steve,

We are just back from Botswana and checking out the new area we have access to there. Our main hunting area in the Tuli area is 40,000 acres with access to other areas. The lodge and amenities are top notch and everything is new and staff excited to begin receiving clients.

Here are a couple of pictures, one of a blue wildebeest I was able to harvest while there. We did more sightseeing and visual surveying of the area than hunting while we were there. A lot of plains game species there with a nice elephant population, leopard, some lion, crocodile and hippo.

image1 (2).JPG

image2 (1).JPG

image3.jpg

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts