gunwerks rifles

ann brezinski

I know these rifles are great but I do not have that kind of money setting around.
I have a 700 magnum action and just got a 7 mm 1/10 twist palma barrel.now to get what they sell who do you think would be a good gunsmith.i live in pa so I am cloase to seval 1000 yd bench rest people that build guns.
gary b

A 10 twist barrel probably will not stabilize the VLD bullets in 180gr, not an issue if you aren't planning on running them. As far as smiths there are some goods ones here that are sponsors on the site.

Living in Pa. I would surely consider Montour County Rifles with the gunsmith named Kevin Cram. I have several of his rifles which are superb and he will be getting my 300 WSM in for a new tube.

A 10 twist barrel probably will not stabilize the VLD bullets in 180gr, not an issue if you aren't planning on running them. As far as smiths there are some goods ones here that are sponsors on the site.
It won't stabilize the 180's. He's going to be limited to shooting 168 and lighter bullets.

I can exchange the barrel for a different one.what do you think I should use.will be shooting 150 to 180 grain bergers or may try the nosler that best of the west use.
gary

I can exchange the barrel for a different one.what do you think I should use.will be shooting 150 to 180 grain bergers or may try the nosler that best of the west use.
gary

I strongly recommend exchanging your barrel if you want to shoot the heavier bullets. I have a Bartlein with a 1-9 twist on mine and am still testing loads but having very good luck with 168 grain berger hybrid hunting as well as 168 barnes LRX (although I suspect the barnes may like an even faster barrel). I can tell you for a fact the barnes 168 LRX bullets will not stabilize in a 1-10 twist.

Nosler 160 grain AB's have shot the best group to date of .29" @ 100 yards and shoots the 150 AB's nearly as well. Would love to try the 168 LRAB's but haven't found any for sale yet.

You could build a rifle with your action way cheaper than buying someone else's and with a little reloading on your part probably shoot better than their's also.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.