Gunsmith suggestions to rebarrel my Ruger 77

Think ahead on your barrel contour as well. If you rebarrel using a thin barrel contour like the original you may have the same bad accuracy because the M77 stocks use pressure pads to put upward pressure on the barrel. My original M77 didnt behave and I rebarreled to a larger contour barrel and didn't sand the pads down and it was still inconsistent. After calling the place that did the work they advised sanding off the pads and letting the barrel free float b/c the barrel was stiffer - its a consistent 3/4" shooter now.

Last edited:
Clark is close to you.

I don't know if they work on centerfire Rugers but, if not, they will know who does local to you.

Because your rifle was soaking in brackish water, there is a good chance your receiver threads will need to be recut which isn't a big deal with a new barrel and squared-up receiver.

I would also reconsider the caliber choice unless there is some sentimental attachment to that caliber. Any Intermediate or Standard length cartridge is an option assuming you stay with the same case head size. If you handload, a 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 might be a hot ticket for you to swack stuff with.
You left out the most over-Looked one of all 25-06. Best of all in my Humble opinion.

Fed-Well :)

Lots of good advice here. Folks I trust have very good things to say about Shaw in the last 20 years since they re-tooled. FOR SURE, if you stay with .270 Win, get an 8" twist - that'll give you the capability to use the new high BC bullets being made in .277 thanks to the release of the 6.8 Western. Pair those with RL-26 and the .270 Win is in a new class. It'll still shoot the lighter weight bullets as good as ever.

If you're interested in a larger caliber, and saving a bunch of money, JES can rebore the existing barrel to .338-06, .35 Whelen, or 9.3x62 for $275 total cost and about a 2 week turn time. No relation, just a satisfied customer:

Cheers,
Rex
I totally agree with Rex. If I were putting on a new .270 Win barrel, it would be at least an 8 twist. This will open up a whole new world for anyone shooting a .270 Winchester. There are a lot of darn good barrels available today as well as competent smiths to install them. I have had Krieger, Brux, Lilja, Rock, Shilen and Douglas installed and all have shot well. I still want to try Bartlien or Hart & my next new barrel will likely be one of these two.....

I bought a 6mm 1/8 twist from ragged hole barrels ( Wilson brand) $ 170.00 chambered it to 6mm cm and I really like it. I don't think I could have gotten better accuracy no matter what I spent

About five years ago I had a 2506 that wouldn't shoot. I sent it back to ruger. They said it needed a new barrel. Only charged me 175 bucks and they reblued the entire barreled action to match.
Give them a call
Yeah well apparently that has changed. I sent them a 22 hornet back that was keyholing 1 out of every 3 shots. Sent it back and said they had no clue. Well thanks.....

About five years ago I had a 2506 that wouldn't shoot. I sent it back to ruger. They said it needed a new barrel. Only charged me 175 bucks and they reblued the entire barreled action to match.
Give them a call
I have heard of Ruger rebarreling for free or almost nothing. Had several Rugers that shot great-sold/traded. Currently have a .204 in 77 MKII bought new in 2004. Shot countless Chucks, PD, Yotes and it still holds 0.156 groups. Before you do anything contact Ruger they may just replace the barrel for you. If not any good gunsmith can replace with another barrel and caliber of your choice. We would do it for you, but I am still having the doctors work on different electrical setting on my SCS Spinal Cord Stimulator. Plus need to finish our new GunSmith shop. Have all the equipment moved and now just need to do the electrical the GS side and then hookup the Ceracote equipment.
Doctors told me not to do any lifting/twisting until the end of December 2021 because they don't want me to pull out or disturm the wiring and battery implanted in my back. Hope to start turning barrels again in Jan 2022
Hope that y'all have a Blessed Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
Len & Jill

I have heard of Ruger rebarreling for free or almost nothing. Had several Rugers that shot great-sold/traded. Currently have a .204 in 77 MKII bought new in 2004. Shot countless Chucks, PD, Yotes and it still holds 0.156 groups. Before you do anything contact Ruger they may just replace the barrel for you. If not any good gunsmith can replace with another barrel and caliber of your choice. We would do it for you, but I am still having the doctors work on different electrical setting on my SCS Spinal Cord Stimulator. Plus need to finish our new GunSmith shop. Have all the equipment moved and now just need to do the electrical the GS side and then hookup the Ceracote equipment.
Doctors told me not to do any lifting/twisting until the end of December 2021 because they don't want me to pull out or disturm the wiring and battery implanted in my back. Hope to start turning barrels again in Jan 2022
Hope that y'all have a Blessed Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
Len & Jill
Get well friend!

I have a Ruger 77R that is about 40 years old. It went through Katrina in my gunsafe, soaking in brackish water and the bore looks like h*ll. I would like to have it rebarreled. It is chambered in .270 Win, and for simplicity would like to keep it in that caliber. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that might specialize in the Ruger 77? Not looking for a 1/2 inch rifle, but something more respectable than the 4 moa groups it shoots now.

I looked for a ss barrel in 270 here for old 77, but none.
------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if Ruger 77 MII series barrels are different (too different)?

:D I'm posting this parts company cuz I've had luck a couple times for new take-off barrels for a 700 and model 7, and they fit (using head space go and no-go gages.)

There was another reply in here where someone recommended a rebore to the existing barrel. I have used JES reboring (in Oregon) on four rifles, from 30-06 to 35 Whelen and one from .308 Winchester to .358 Winchester. All of the four rifles are shooters out to 300 yards (the longest range I have to shoot at); I hit 8 inch steel plates all day long. If the 30-06 would work for you, this ought to be an easy and inexpensive fix for you. Earlier this year I had one done for $250 turnaround shipping included, took about three weeks to get the rifle back. All you have to do is ship a barreled action with the bolt assembly so the rifle can be head spaced.

I have a Ruger 77R that is about 40 years old. It went through Katrina in my gunsafe, soaking in brackish water and the bore looks like h*ll. I would like to have it rebarreled. It is chambered in .270 Win, and for simplicity would like to keep it in that caliber. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that might specialize in the Ruger 77? Not looking for a 1/2 inch rifle, but something more respectable than the 4 moa groups it shoots now.
I sent my ruger m77 with the tang safety to Benchmark barrels and they rebarreled the gun. They done it approx 10 years ago and still shoots a legit 1/2 group. They still rebarrel guns they just don't advertise a lot. There turn around time is quicker than most.
my ruger is at least 40 years old.
call them up. It doesn't get any simpler that sending a gun to a barrel manufactory and they rebarrel a gun with a quality barrel.

call Them and talk to them. Tell them to cut the same contour on the gun now and talk to them in what bullet weight you are going to shoot. They are very helpful.
same contour cut will fall right back into the gun now. Heck they even cherokette guns now.
keep it simple.

Last edited:
I definitely want to keep it simple, that's why I want to keep it a .270. I want the same barrel contour, etc-nothing fancy. Don't want to dump a ton of money into it. Probably going to cost more to ship it there and back than it's going to cost to have the barrel replaced.
I have a chance to purchase a Ruger 77 barrel in .270 from a member on the Forum here at a very reasonable price. Sounds like a great option that I am considering.