Guess the projectile??

If you look at the top pic of the cow you can see the blood shot showing through on the hind quarters and the jello went clean to the front of the shoulders, this is one of the worst blood shot incidents I've seen. Nobody got it yet but Broz is warm.

Two things for certain:
1) High velocity bullet impact
2) Expanding bullet

Since the bullet splash was still significant on the off-side, it wasn't a high speed .22 caliber bullet. At least none of the 50 grainers I've used in years gone by.

It wasn't fired from a 30-30. Not enough impact velocity at 320 yds.

Possible from quite a few high intensity center fire rifles in the .264 up to .375 caliber range. I'd lean towards the .284 - .338, due to high bullet energy release on the off-side, with relatively high MV.

Next up another cow elk just over 300 yards. Low chest and there was no surface blood shot just a little in the meat just before the ribs. Entrance wound.

100_3323.jpg

Well, that would have to be a Berger in the 210 plus range. It has the look of a SMK wound but nobody is using them anymore.......Rich

Franklin was dang close with the 140gr Berger but it was from a 270 WSM starting out at 3300fps. The bullet did not exit but blew the heart to mush and the lungs were messed up a bit, she was slow walking when the bullet caught her and her front feet planted and the rest of her went over on her nose DRT. Jacket and core were found just under the off shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts