Good OU 20 gauge for Sporing clays

I was once told by the guy that got me reloading brass cartridges....."doesn't matter what you shoot..if ya can't hit them you can't hit them"......"four legged critters nor birds know what they've been shot with"......
If you're enjoying sporting clays..those clays aren't gonna know the difference between gauges either.....
I used to shoot 12s.....haven't had a reason to absorb that in years..once I discovered 28ga shooting everything has changed....buying loads can be expensive but if you are willing to reload with a good progressive it becomes less expensive than 12 or 20......less powder..less shot...
Biggest credit I can give was info from
BallisticProductsInc.....BPI...built loads for my 26" o/u....biggest hint to busting sporting clays is the WAD you use...close shots open fast...long shots open slower....fun adventure....and the mighty 28ga can easily take down birds off all sizes......even have a .25 cal 8 pellet buckshot...30yd all inside paper plate at over 1250fps......make a nice hole in an intruder.....

You've got plenty of good advice already, but I'll throw my two cents in.
(1) Unless you're going to shoot new shells and leave them laying - picking up hulls gets old real quick.
(2) I've shot some of all of them and there is always going to be the days that an auto loader feels like a broomstick. That never happens with the feel of a well fit O/U.
(3) Most shotgun shooters, regardless of price, are more than happy to let you shoot a round with their gun - take advantage of this without overdoing it until you figure out what you like. Sadly, it will probably be a K80, Perazzi or Kolar LOL

One last note - nicer wood, prettier engraving or gold don't make um' shoot any better. 😉

Last edited:
One last thought, shotgun shells are very hard to find these days. 12 gauge can be found but 20,s are rare...
Yup......buy in cases.......
If you do choose to shoot ammo only once...someone the hulls are worthy of keeping to sell to reloaders....

(1) Unless you're going to shoot new shells and leave them laying - picking up hulls gets old real quick.
(2) I've shot some of all of them and there is always going to be the days that an auto loader feels like a broomstick. That never happens with the feel of a well fit O/U.
(3) Most shotgun shooters, regardless of price, are more than happy to let you shoot a round with their gun - take advantage of this without overdoing it until you figure out what you like. Sadly, it will probably be a K80, Perazzi or Kolar LOL

One last note - nicer wood, prettier engraving or gold don't make um' shoot any better. 😉
Yes it does. Everyone knows prettier guns win more. If you have a really pretty gun the only way you can get beat is if you are in a shootoff with a really pretty girl. You will lose and it won't matter what either of you are shooting. You cannot beat the girl. Even if you somehow manage to beat her you will still lose from the ridicule of beating the girl. If she beats you you not only lose you get the ridicule of being beaten by a girl. I hate open class, but that's where the money is. LOL Heck I actually lost a shootoff to a girl one time and didn't even miss. True story. You cannot beat the girl. I suggest you get a good one for a team mate.

So I'll try to keep this short, my son shoots high school shotgun trap and about 12 cases a year. His coaches recommend a B gun (browning, berreta or Benelli) 2-3k each on average. My son shoots a browning cxt and it is awesome. Dont think just because you are small you need a 20 gauge. I've seen an 8 year old popcorn fart shoot a 12. The key is 1150fps shells (hunting shells can be considerably faster) and keep your right elbow (right handed) parallel or higher to the ground. If you need something cheaper CZ is ok but is considerably lighter which results in more recoil. If you want but cant find a browning call reeds family outdoors even if they dont have one listed. They are who we found ours with after searching for months and they were great to work with.

NIB -Browning Cynergy Field 20 Ga., 3", Vent Rib 28"
This Browning Cynergy is NEW in the box. I bought it for a special quail hunt, but never used it or fired it. I am building a several rifles and need funds to finish the builds. Selling for $2,200.
Reduced to $2,000.00

The MonoLock Hinge represents the integration of the traditional mono-block and the hinge. The MonoLock Hinge gives the Cynergy the lowest profile receiver of any over and under Shot
Specifications:
Gauge: 20,
Chamber: 3"
Action: Over and Under
Capacity: 2
Receiver: Low profile silver nitride receiver with stylistic engraving.
Trigger: Striker-based mechanical trigger system.
Safety: Manual thumb safety, combined with barrel selector mechanism.
Barrel: White bead front sight and mid bead
Chokes: 20ga -Invector-Plus Choke Tube System.(Full, Mod & IC)
Stock: walnut stock and forearm. Interchangeable Inflex Recoil Pad system.
Drop:
Comb - 1 11/16" - (013-230604)
Heel - 2 5/16" - (013-230604.
Length Of Pull: 14 1/4"
Overall Length: 28" Barrel - 45"
Average Weight: 6 lbs. 5 oz - 013-230604

My father-in-law knew the Browning US sales representative and had him pick out the nicest wood and finish 20 gauge O/U. He picked me out a Browning Arms Grade 1 Cynergy Field 20 Ga., 28 Inch, IV+ Chokes, Walnut Stock. I was going to use it on a special Quail hunt at a Plantation in South GA using horses, wagon, and dogs. I was afraid to take it out because it looked so nice. Ended up using my Benelli M-1 Field. This is NEW IN BOX-NEVER FIRED. Had it stored away in a climate controlled safe for longer than I can remember. I have a few nice firearms that I stashed away and will never shoot. Think it's time to let this one be used by someone that will appreciate it. Plus, We need funds for a new Laser Engraver. send me an PM . This is truly a FINE scatter gun. Pictures don't do it justice.
PM me if interested. Payment through Pay Pal or Post Office Money Order. Free shipping to your FFL.

Attachments

• Browning 20 Gauge OU - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
    Browning 20 Gauge OU - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 288
  • Browning 20 Gauge OU2.jpg
    Browning 20 Gauge OU2.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Browning 20 Gauge OU3 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    Browning 20 Gauge OU3 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Browning 20 Gauge OU5 - Copy.jpg
    Browning 20 Gauge OU5 - Copy.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Browning 20 Gauge OU6.jpg
    Browning 20 Gauge OU6.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 253
  • Browning 20 Gauge OU7 - Copy.jpg
    Browning 20 Gauge OU7 - Copy.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 272
Thanks for the post and I will keep this in mind.

I was once told by the guy that got me reloading brass cartridges....."doesn't matter what you shoot..if ya can't hit them you can't hit them"......"four legged critters nor birds know what they've been shot with"......
If you're enjoying sporting clays..those clays aren't gonna know the difference between gauges either.....
I used to shoot 12s.....haven't had a reason to absorb that in years..once I discovered 28ga shooting everything has changed....buying loads can be expensive but if you are willing to reload with a good progressive it becomes less expensive than 12 or 20......less powder..less shot...
Biggest credit I can give was info from
BallisticProductsInc.....BPI...built loads for my 26" o/u....biggest hint to busting sporting clays is the WAD you use...close shots open fast...long shots open slower....fun adventure....and the mighty 28ga can easily take down birds off all sizes......even have a .25 cal 8 pellet buckshot...30yd all inside paper plate at over 1250fps......make a nice hole in an intruder.....
Lots of truth here! thanks!

Good advise and well noted Thanks!

So I'll try to keep this short, my son shoots high school shotgun trap and about 12 cases a year. His coaches recommend a B gun (browning, berreta or Benelli) 2-3k each on average. My son shoots a browning cxt and it is awesome. Dont think just because you are small you need a 20 gauge. I've seen an 8 year old popcorn fart shoot a 12. The key is 1150fps shells (hunting shells can be considerably faster) and keep your right elbow (right handed) parallel or higher to the ground. If you need something cheaper CZ is ok but is considerably lighter which results in more recoil. If you want but cant find a browning call reeds family outdoors even if they dont have one listed. They are who we found ours with after searching for months and they were great to work with.
It is a little different for the adults shooting skeet and sporting. In skeet the All American points race is determined by how you placed in your top 12 shoots. Obviously you would have to shoot at least 12 shoots of 500 targets each. That alone is 24 flats. The top shooters will shoot 8-10 practice targets for every registered target. Sporting is similar now that they are shooting sub gages too. Trap a little less. I don't know anyone who puts reloads in boxes. We put them in 5 gal buckets. A 5 gal bucket will hold a lot of 410s. This is why you only see these guys shooting 4 guns Blaser F3, kreigoff k80, kolar, perazzi mx8 or high tech. Sometimes you will see a DT11 or Zoli in the mix. Anything else is a rarity amount AAA shooters. These are the only guns proven to hold up to the abuse. I don't care who sponsors who, the field is small. There are both incentives and concessions manufacturers use to entice the top shooters to shoot their brand. While their gun may look off the shelf to the casual eye, it is stocked, weighted and balanced exactly to the shooters specifications. I promise you if you pick one up, handle and shoot it, you will be shocked. I've been doing this a long time.

Well I must say and shout out to everyone that posted... THANK YOU for taking the time and share some of your knowledge to try and help an "Old" newbie get started. I understand the rabbit hole does exist and hopefully I can stay on track. I really appreciate ALL of the advise and I think I have a path laid out so I can make a good choice on where and what to start with. I have been on the phone pretty much all afternoon with my local club/range and they offered up some tips as well. With their help we are going to be testing a couple Beretta's out and yes believe it or not 12ga. 687 SPIII sporting 32'' and an A400 Xcel 30" w/KO so we will be having some fun and I will be getting set up with a pro coach! Again thank you all for all your advise and help....Much Appreciated