Good Deal on Savage Model 11???

azsugarbear

I've been looking for a dedicated varmint rig - nothing special, just a truck gun that I can spray some camo on and shoot song dogs out to 200 yds. Looking for something that will hold .75 MOA w/o any fancy smithing.

I came across a used Savage model 11 w/accutrigger in 243 cal. in a local store. No mag or bottom metal and it appers to be a center feed. It seems to be in decent shape. Stock doesn't look beat up and the crown & barrel look to be alright - but you can never tell. It has a cheap scope on it - may have been a package deal. I'm concerned it may not be a shooter.

The store wants $325 + tax for it. I've never owned or even considered a Savage before. Is this a good deal? Is this something you could not afford to pass up? I really would appreciate some feedback, especially from those who have owned this model in the past.

Its a good deal, and will most likely shoot very well. However, I would opt for a Marlin XL7 for about the same price. No scope but you would likely want to replace it anyway. You can get the XL7 in a 25-06 and the one I have shoots amazing. Most of them will shoot inside an inch with no work and factory ammo. However, I would put money on it the savage will be a shooter.

It's a decent deal unless they have a Stevens 200 for cheaper. They usually are, and are the same rifle.

I also think that the Marlins are a great deal unless you ever plan to turn it into a magnum rifle.

The Marlins use a similar bolt head but don't offer a magnum yet. The Savage or Stevens will let you go from 204 Ruger up to 338 Edge with a simple barrel and bolt head swap.

Fair deal if the scope and bases are usable. Not a big fan of the accutrigger but for a truck gun it might be a good idea.
Good bases,rings and a low powered scope or sturdy open sites are ½ of what makes a good truck gun The Savage will in all probability do its ½ just fine.

Thanks for the input guys. From what I gather, the model 11 is a decent deal, but not a smokin' deal - so there is no need to hurry and purchase it. I'll keep looking for a few weeks and maybe try to find a used Marlin or Stevens for comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts