Getting careles and over confident. help..!!!

soundwaves

l use to be excited while takeing a shot and verry nearvous that l would miss the tropy, that l would try and do everything right. l use to take my time to breath properly adjust the paralax then get comfortable again,aim at a spisific spot of the animal so if l missed that spot l would still hit the animal ( aim small miss small ) and eaven take a practice empty chamber shot. by douing all this l started improveing my sucsess imensly..!!! this sucsess continued for about 8 consecutive long range shots in verry dificult positions and angles hunting ibex. and on top of all that my mates started to say you a fantastic shot you never miss and all those kind coments that make you happy :)
but whats happening now is... l have lost that excitement and have got to shure of makeing that shot that l dont take any time on the target just shoot at the animal like lm shooting at ducks or something. thinking im gonna hit it so im not really bothered if my rifle is rested properly, l mean have eaven forgot about paralax all toghether let alone a unsteady shooting position :/
gues what happened on my latest hunt ?
l shot one at 400 yards droped him cleen while the animal was standing up feding of a tree on a cliff face. ( dont know how l managed to hit him ) considering l literaly pointed and shot like a was shooting a duck. and on my second shot later that day l got so full of my selph and started thinkin rifle shooting is so easy. l crippeled one form 240 yards :/ ( l think l crippeled him but l could have mist it aswell as my mates told me that the goat had a limp before a shot it )
l really need to go back to the basics and do everything properly next time l go hunting. but cant seem to take that time on target. ( its not like the goat is shooting back at me )

any ideas how to get back to the way l use to shoot before gun)

We all get complacent at times and should go back to school, as it were.

I recommend using a 22 rim fire at a distance beyond it's normal capabilities (200 to 300 yards).

This will force you to think about all the things that you are not doing now.

The 22 will force you to get back to the basics and plan each shot because if you don't. you wont
do very well at those distances.

I like to compete against my self and keep score to see if there is any improvement and measure the results.

When I was match shooting I shot against My Best score and did not just shoot good enough to win because I found myself shooting just good enough to beat the competition and settling for that
instead of improving my skills.

J E CUSTOM

You need a very short preshot routine. Something that you do prior to every shot practice or on live game. This will set you up for success.

Something like

Check rest
Check bubble level
Trigger finger placement
Breath
Break the trigger

As the saying goes: If the pain to stay the same is greater than the pain to change, you'll change.

I'd say you're getting pretty painful....:D

I'd say keep doing what you are doing and sooner than you think you'll get so irritated with yourself "and" the low esteem of your mates (as in no one will go hunting with you and such stuff and you're buying a lot of your own beers) usually brings a fella round to what's right.

Keep shootin' it'll come around.gun)

Recognizing and admitting the problem is part of the fix. Get back to some good basics and regain some confidence. Take the pressure off, remember this is fun. Keep shooting, have fun and good luck.

l use to be excited while takeing a shot and verry nearvous that l would miss the tropy, that l would try and do everything right. l use to take my time to breath properly adjust the paralax then get comfortable again,aim at a spisific spot of the animal so if l missed that spot l would still hit the animal ( aim small miss small ) and eaven take a practice empty chamber shot. by douing all this l started improveing my sucsess imensly..!!! this sucsess continued for about 8 consecutive long range shots in verry dificult positions and angles hunting ibex. and on top of all that my mates started to say you a fantastic shot you never miss and all those kind coments that make you happy :)
but whats happening now is... l have lost that excitement and have got to shure of makeing that shot that l dont take any time on the target just shoot at the animal like lm shooting at ducks or something. thinking im gonna hit it so im not really bothered if my rifle is rested properly, l mean have eaven forgot about paralax all toghether let alone a unsteady shooting position :/
gues what happened on my latest hunt ?
l shot one at 400 yards droped him cleen while the animal was standing up feding of a tree on a cliff face. ( dont know how l managed to hit him ) considering l literaly pointed and shot like a was shooting a duck. and on my second shot later that day l got so full of my selph and started thinkin rifle shooting is so easy. l crippeled one form 240 yards :/ ( l think l crippeled him but l could have mist it aswell as my mates told me that the goat had a limp before a shot it )
l really need to go back to the basics and do everything properly next time l go hunting. but cant seem to take that time on target. ( its not like the goat is shooting back at me )

any ideas how to get back to the way l use to shoot before gun)
I'd say this post is solid evidence you're already on the way.

You know what you did wrong, you know the fundamentals and this experience will no doubt be all you need to remind yourself to get those fundamentals right.

I think most experienced shooters have found themselves in the same position, and some of us more than once.

Just right down a checklist of things to do before pulling the trigger.

Always run through that checklist before you do so like a pilot does before taking off.

It literally takes about a half second.

Double check range.

Double check wind.

Double check for level/plum.

"Feel" the trigger and think, slow steady pull.

Settle in, get your breathing/heart rate right and just flow into the shot.

good idea. but would a air rifle also do ? as l could shoot that to 100 yrds in my garden ?:D
Sure it will. The fundamentals are the same. I bought a Gamo Whisper 1330 to deal with a squirrel problem in my Pecan orchard in town and have actually had a good time with it.

I have no idea where the neighborhood stray cats went either.:D

How often do you practice; you can't hardly go enough? It helps to develop a practice routine to simulate what you would use when hunting to make the skills automatic. Before a Newfy moose hunt I spent half a day with a trainer, focusing on field shooting conditions. He put me through a routine of running, then timed shots at a series of targets he would call at random. The timing instilled a pressure situation; and when I was hunting I still remember him frequently saying "smooth is fast".

Sure it will. The fundamentals are the same. I bought a Gamo Whisper 1330 to deal with a squirrel problem in my Pecan orchard in town and have actually had a good time with it.

I have no idea where the neighborhood stray cats went either.:D

L O L

thay must have been feding on the sqwirels. its impossible that you would wipe out the neigbours pets :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.