Getting a new pickup, help me decide

Aluminum is good in racing, making a vehicle lighter. And I don't buy a car or a truck for looks , I buy it to use it. Can't use it if its in a garage. Can't use it if its going to break down. I only buy vehicles that have the BEST! track record for reliability. Aluminum wouldn't come near that classification. When I use a truck I use a truck, no!, I don't abuse them. When I load firewood into my pickup out in the woods, I will throw a lot of it into the bed. An aluminum bed would look like the surface of the moon after a few loads, full of craters! " TOYOTA " PROVEN TRACK RECORD::::: PERIOD! NUF SAID Happy new year.
I did and they didn't think it was a big deal. They've had to deal with aluminum body parts on other vehicles for years now.
We aren't dealing with steel bodies in any new car. Get the one you want and forget the talking heads. I have a new F-450. A spray-in bed liner makes the bed more durable and I really like it so far. Don't see too many Toyotas hooked up to very heavy horse trailers where I live.

Ask somebody at an auto body shop what they think of the aluminum ford.....

Around here I couldn't care less what they say. The other day I asked my mechanic what he thought about buying a Ford. He didn't answer the question and told me the trucks with the least amount of problems are Toyotas. I pressed him a little further and he told me he just bought a used Dodge with a six in it. He said he like the ride.

I suggest one gets a piece of paper and writes two lists. One pro and one con. Then at the end insert his emotional response and make his decision.:)

High RICH : I go for dependability period. Those that want the best ride wont like a Toyota pickup. Maybe the double priced luxury models will let them have their cake and eat it too. You Have to buy what you like, no matter how much money it nickel and dimes you out of. I would like any brand that is running over any brand that is not! Have a wonderful 2018, and shoot straight.

I would like any brand that is running over any brand that is not! Have a wonderful 2018, and shoot straight.

Thanks. You too.

I tried a Toyota. Kept the oil and fluids and brakes and stuff up to date. At 208,000 miles it started knocking. The mechanic told me it was a rod. I sold it for $300 to the junk yard. I tried a Nisan. At 206,000 miles I needed to down shift from fifth to forth to make it up a very shallow grade. Then I had to down shift and then again. When I got to the top I couldn't take it out of first so I pulled over and called my son-in-law. I told him he could have it but I wanted the stereo.

I received a Chevy Silverado. Nice and quiet. Bought it with 84,000 miles. In the next 116,000 miles I replaced the water pump three times, the powerstering pump three times, the 4X4 computer once, one back brake drum or disc (the other three were fine). Good thing Grandma bought it for me. She even paid for the gas for a couple years. Cheapest truck I ever owned. I sold it when it hit 200,000 because of the experience with the others.

Now I have a gaymobile Honda Ridgeline. It has been trouble free, except it's not a real 4X4. I was dismayed when I discovered that. Now I'm going to get a Ford.

Honda makes a good vehicle too. Bought a little Civic I think it was for my daughter while she was in high school ran real good, I was impressed. Too bad that American technology hasn't kept up with the foreign. Actually a lot of what used to be foreign is now the only true American made vehicles. Have a wonderful 2018 everyone.

I've owned them all but a Nissan....Free your mind and the rest will follow.....that aluminum gets WAY better gas mileage! He he! Just kidding, buy what you're comfortable with or you'll never be happy! :) Happy shopping!

I have had two 1/2 ton Chevy's and I miss them. I currently have a 3/4 ton Dodge (Hemi) and I really miss my Chevy. I know it's not apples to apples between the two. The chevy always felt like a really nice driving truck 80% of the time . . . until I actually loaded it up with 500 lbs of stuff and then it felt like a wallowing old cadillac with shot suspension. Since I was beating my Chevy up so much with wood hauling and trailering various things I decided I needed to step up to something more "manly" that could take whatever I throw at it.

Well . . . the Dodge can take it. It's a 2016 and I have 68,000 miles on it already. I drive the snot out of it and I'm not very nice to it.

Here's the rub, 80% of the time it's just a commuter car . . . and it's like sitting on a 2x6. It's stiff as he!!

If I could do it all over again, I probably would have saved up a little more and went with a 3/4 ton chevy.

OR . . . what I SHOULD have done . . . bought another brand new 1/2 ton Chevy AND an old beat up 3/4 ton Diesel dodge for wood hauling and trailering.

This guy has it right buy what will use it for most of the time.
He sounds like a guy who should buy a f-150 ecoboost. I was in the same boat and I'll tell you my 15 3.5 ecoboost gets good mpg when commuting and hauls much better than the dodge I had for work. Best of both worlds. I will never move back to a diesel unless something drastic changes. I have 140,000 miles on mine of hauling everything from tractors to my job trailer across country. I love it. Only downside is its eco or boost not both. 12.5 mpg when hauling at 75 and about 18.8 mpg at 75 empty that after I got large tires I was at 23mpg before those things zapped the mpg.
I highly recommend those motors to anyone who uses the trucks for any kind of work.

Oh and as far as aluminum it's held up just as good as my last steel bed it has dents and lots of missing paint but so does my steel ones. And as far as body shops who cares remember when they went fuel injection and everyone said the same thing about the shops and cost. Lol now that's all we have. My father owns a high mileage ecoboost ford and that what sold me on it. He abuses his trucks and this has been in his top 3 for best trucks. Just changes oil on time and drives the crap out of it pulling hi farm equipment.

Don't remember what was said about the change to fuel injection, but I spent over $500 for injectors and tune up in a V-6 Silverado . Just part of the many things I had to pay to have replaced on that piece of s++t! I liked the older vehicles. You could work on them yourself. Now you have all that fuel injection, and emmisions crap running all over the place. You don't have any room left to reach down beside the motor. You have to almost take it to a garage to have anything done. That's why I buy vehicles you don't have to take to the garage.

Everyone used to say fuel injection was gonna cost a ton to fix and it was garbage. Although it took time it's industry standard now and works fine. Same will happen with aluminum. Everything need to be fixed every now and again don't act like you never have to rebuild carbs.
I also had a guy just yesterday tell me that turbos on the ecoboost is junk and will be costly to fix. That was right after hoe he told me he will never buy anything but a diesel because they last so long. Then I told him that ford uses borg warner turbos. The same company that does the diesels.
You will hear bad stories about all and good ones. I've had a few of each and know that the ford is more for me. I drive about 80,000 a year for work and mostly pulling trailers. I have had great luck with my ecoboost and ford truck. Plus I can run a 12.680 1/4 mile with my crew can long box. Lots of but hurt muscle cars after a 6 cylinder truck beats them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.