Getting a new pickup, help me decide

I bought a brand new 2017 Ford XL 3.5 ecoboost 10 speed Crew Cab FX4 that had a serious vibration issue at 70-80 mph. After months of nothing being done to actually fix the problem, FMC hooked up a 5K piece of equipment to just say it was within their vibration limits. Yet the tech clearly felt it in the floor, the steering wheel, and the passenger seat shaking itself to death, and wrote it down in each work order! Towing made it only worse, and at a lower speed, 60-65 mph. They tried to say it was the wheels, then the tires, then needed road force balancing, and in the end the 5K equipment they hooked up just so they wouldn't have to fix the issue...... The lemon laws are simple, take the milage x 120,000 divided by the cost= the trade in value, period! I bought a Toyota Tundra. Does it get as good of gas milage, nope, tow as well, nope, but doesn't have a ton of electronics either! BTW, I had the exact same Ford XL 3.5 ecoboost Crew Cab in a 2013 model that was perfect! No issues, and wish I never traded it in for the 2017.

That said I will never touch another Ford, that deal cost me 9K for a 4 month old truck, and the hassle dealing with them not addressing the issue from day one!

Did you buy a new tundra? You don't think the tundra has the power like like ford did for pulling?

Did you buy a new tundra? You don't think the tundra has the power like like ford did for pulling?
Yes, a brand new 2017 5.8 Crew Cab SR5 4x4. Fords twin turbo 3.5 L V6 10 spd is a monster on wheels, and would beat anything in the 1/4 mile, 14.4 @ 92 MPH! And while towing can do it at a much lower RPM without the peddle to the floor like a naturally aspirated gas engine....... The short answer is no comparison going over a pass hauling a heavy load, or up a hill at highway speeds, low speeds not an issue due to the gearing at lower speeds in the Tundra. Highway speeds, my Ford 3.5 Ecoboost would pass you like you were standing still!

Last edited:
l had fun with this one :D

deyirmenlik 020.jpg

Yes, a brand new 2017 5.8 Crew Cab SR5 4x4. Fords twin turbo 3.5 L V6 10 spd is a monster on wheels, and would beat anything in the 1/4 mile, 14.4 @ 92 MPH! And while towing can do it at a much lower RPM without the peddle to the floor like a naturally aspirated gas engine....... The short answer is no comparison going over a pass hauling a heavy load, or up a hill at highway speeds, low speeds not an issue due to the gearing at lower speeds in the Tundra. Highway speeds, my Ford 3.5 Ecoboost would pass you like you were standing still!
This is the truth. Especially at altitude, the Ecoboost outpulls all the other gas truck engines, and is dead quiet doing it. They've been out long enough now to out to rest any questions of reliability from being a small motor with boost. I use mine to tow a 9k 5th wheel and it handles it like a champ, very stable, stops great, except for the steepest grades you'd hardly even know it's there.

As for the OP's original question, of the two I'd go Chevy for a gasser. Nothing wrong with the Hemis, but the rest of the truck matters also!

About a month ago I decided to get a new truck. Figured I'd buy a 2500 this time. Did alot of research. Traded my 14 Ram 1500 Longhorn for a 18 Ram 2500 Laramie. The ride, while not quite as compliant as the 1500, is very good and quiet. The new coil springs in back sure help compared to GM and Ford. The Cummins is $8000 more than the Hemi, so I went Hemi.

Glad I got it, no buyers remorse. GM and Ford just werent as "nice".

So what Toyota do you have now? Do tundras still great trucks with 150K on it. What ever truck I get I will probably be putting 160k-200k on it.
I only have a RAV 4 at this time. But have had 3 small Toyota pick ups, needed a bigger truck, so I bought a Silverado Chevy. What a mistake, intake manifold gasket, tie rod end, brakes all the way around even the emergency brakes, vacuum plates rusted away- junk steel I was told by the mechanic was used to make them; Last straw was a $550+ bill for replacing all the injectors and a tune up because it was missing. Was doing the same thing in less than a month. This all happened under 38,000 miles. Traded on a Nissan Titan, This was a really good truck, but the price of gas went sky high and I was getting the same miles per gallon with it as I did with the Chevy about 13 miles a gallon, so I sold it to my son-in-law who still has and loves it. I needed a plow and wood truck so I bought a full sized dodge 1/2 ton, ended up replacing all ball joints, well pretty much the whole front end. Then the shocks, then the power steering lines started leaking and were replaced. Going down the road I will hear a warning dinging sound and all my gauges will quite working, haven't been able to fix that problem, I have to stop and turn it off then keep turning the key on and off till the gauges start to work then restart it. I have replaced the battery and terminals, to no avail. Changed the plugs and wires, the plugs were very burned up. Dodge front ends never were any good. Had several Chrysler products in the past, Darts, and Demons, front ends went on all of them. Only ever replaced the front brake lining on one of the Toyotas at 90,000 miles. Never even changed a spark plug in one of them! They have been the best vehicles I have ever owned ( Toyotas ) hands down. The RAV 4 that I have has close to 160,000 miles on it, I bought it used and the only think I have had to do to it was minor exhaust work. The best new vehicles makes the best used vehicles. Buy a consumer report for vehicles, you will be able to see all the flaws each vehicle has no matter what make and model, and you can take it to the bank. Good luck with what ever you decide. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Ive had:
2 Chevy 1500's - complete, total, udder f'n garbage. Everything went out or off.
2 Tundras - very good, no complaints.
2 4runners - good, only minor problems.
Jeep GC, Ram 1500 - no problems or complaints.

Toyota isnt as good as they used to be. Their quest to be the largest automaker in the world has caused serious quality control issues. Where the big three, while making garbage in the 1970's through 2000's, have re-committed to more quality in recent years. I am proud to drive American again.

Having read through this thread, I thought my next one would be a Toyota. But then I checked the mileage. Forget that! Even the little Toyota is three miles per gallon behind the full sized Ford. I took my dB meter to town and drove a Tacoma. It was three dB louder than the F150. The back seat is marginal for teenagers at best. The power is way behind the Ford. The bed is smaller. Etc, Etc....

Yep, the Tacoma sized pickups fail on a few levels:
- full size trucks get nearly the same mpg.
- full size trucks have the power to haul and tow.
- full size trucks are quiet and smoother.

But the little trucks are easier to park at the mall:D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.