Geopad vs Dual XGPS150 ?

jb1023

I have read the thread by huntxtrm but I was hoping maybe somebody had some experience with both the Geopad as well as the Dual XGPS150 (external GPS unit connected to tablet/smartphone via bluetooth). The Geopad is selling for $200 at both Cabelas and Amazon. The XGPS150 is on sale at Amazon for $85. Obviously the XGPS150 is a second device that needs to be carried and charged but an app on your phone tells you about battery life and signal strength so that is not huge. I'm mostly looking to see if one works better than the other. I am in Colorado so the ability to acquire a good signal in the mountains is critical. If one or both can't do that then I don't need to spend any money.

I've only used my cellphone gps, cellular signal required, and my cars navigation, does not include back country maps, before so not to familiar with how well any gps unit will work on hiking "trails" and such. I also want it to be able to measure range to target and to confirm, or not, my laser ranger finder stated distances.

Last edited:
Re: Geopad vs Dual XGPS150

Just saw the Garmin Glo which I guess should be added to the comparison as well. It is like the XGPS150 but also has access to the GLONASS network. I found it on sale for $100 at thegpsstore .com.

I have read the thread by huntxtrm but I was hoping maybe somebody had some experience with both the Geopad as well as the Dual XGPS150 (external GPS unit connected to tablet/smartphone via bluetooth). The Geopad is selling for $200 at both Cabelas and Amazon. The XGPS150 is on sale at Amazon for $85. Obviously the XGPS150 is a second device that needs to be carried and charged but an app on your phone tells you about battery life and signal strength so that is not huge. I'm mostly looking to see if one works better than the other. I am in Colorado so the ability to acquire a good signal in the mountains is critical. If one or both can't do that then I don't need to spend any money.

I've only used my cellphone gps, cellular signal required, and my cars navigation, does not include back country maps, before so not to familiar with how well any gps unit will work on hiking "trails" and such. I also want it to be able to measure range to target and to confirm, or not, my laser ranger finder stated distances.

I'll be taking my geopad back to Colorado this year. Unless, I upgrade to a larger screen size Galaxy, with a lifeproof case? I'll let you know how either do for me. It worked great last year. And, my wife can tell you, I had no cell signal. She didn't hear a peep out of me for 8 days! LOL

Oh, and if either of you want some more screen shots, or pics of the Geopad or how it functions, Let me know. I would be happy to help...

I'll be taking my geopad back to Colorado this year. Unless, I upgrade to a larger screen size Galaxy, with a lifeproof case? I'll let you know how either do for me.
Thanks for the reply Hunt. That is one of my question marks about the Geopad. I already have an iPad with a larger than 7" screen so would an external Bluetooth GPS unit maybe offer equal functionality but at half the price. If the Geopad offers more functionality than an iPad with BT GPS then I would go Geopad for sure. As of now I'm leaning towards the Garmin BT GPS unit for $99.

I just ordered the XGPS. I will post a review once I receive it and have a chance to play with it some.

I just ordered the XGPS. I will post a review once I receive it and have a chance to play with it some.

I went on a fishing trip with a guide down in Corpus, he used an Ipad, with an external gps, running Navionics. It seemed to work pretty well, for him... He liked the set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.