Fur saver Bullets for 5.56

I'm going through something similar. I also shoot a 16" barrel and I use 55 grain blitz king. Shooting 2800 FPS. The problem I have is coyotes not dying. I've shot the 62 grain Barnes and they kill them fine but like you said it blows a pretty big hole. My son shoots the 55 grain blizkings at 3800 FPS and his work really well. I'm going to try speeding mine up a bit using a different powder such as Benchmark. ( currently using varget) if that doesn't work I'll try 55 gr game Kings. If that doesn't work I plan on switching to a 20" barrel.

I'm going through something similar. I also shoot a 16" barrel and I use 55 grain blitz king. Shooting 2800 FPS. The problem I have is coyotes not dying. I've shot the 62 grain Barnes and they kill them fine but like you said it blows a pretty big hole. My son shoots the 55 grain blizkings at 3800 FPS and his work really well. I'm going to try speeding mine up a bit using a different powder such as Benchmark. ( currently using varget) if that doesn't work I'll try 55 gr game Kings. If that doesn't work I plan on switching to a 20" barrel.

Hey, you guys are using way to heavy of a bullet if you want to make fur. Weight will definitely make a large exit hole even at low velocities on an animal the size of a 'Yote. Oh, and do not forget the hollow point on a lite weight bullet. This makes way more difference than speed or lack there of.....Just my two cents worth, mind ya'll this is after more than 50 years of experience....

Last edited:
Hey, you guys are using way to heavy of a bullet if you want to make fir. Weight will definitely make a large exit hole even at low velocities on an animal the size of a 'Yote. Oh, and do not forget the hollow point on a lite weight bullet. This makes way more difference than speed or lack there of.....Just my two cents worth, mind ya'll this is after more than 50 years of experience....
So would a lighter bullet kill them better? I've never gone below 55 grains. I understand what your saying about fur, we've put up 37 this year.

So would a lighter bullet kill them better? I've never gone below 55 grains. I understand what your saying about fur, we've put up 37 this year.
Yeah.... This is through experience talking.....The lighter bullet kills'em just as good but without an exit hole the size of something we do not want to see....Dead is Dead. And Speed Kill's.

Has anyone done much chronographing with the 16" AR 15 ??
Mine is a 1 in 7" twist 5.56. 16"
I've got 4198, H335, Varget, 2230 , 8208 , 4320 , Rl 7 and Rl 15.
I also picked up a box of 223 Rem Winchester VarmintX 40 grain poly tipped ammo.
The box says it's going 3600 fps. Who knows what its actually going. ?
I haven't Chrony'd the rifle yet as I've been waiting on the red dot and mount.
I have several different loads of 223 from when I had bolt rifles in 223.
Use like to have close to 3,000 fps @ 100 yards.

Really interested in what the 70 gr TSX will go for speed. That bullet and the 75 gr Sirocco are why I got a 1 in 7 twist.

Hornady 50 grain SPSX. You can easily get them up around 3500 FPS, very accurate bullet out past 600 yards, inexpensive and rarely make an exit hole. They were the original frangible bullet. Speed limit is 3600 fps, if you shoot a 22-250 they make a 55 grain version for the faster velocity.

We tried the 36 grain Barnes VG but found them VERY inconsistent. Some blew up great, others held together and left very large exit holes. Really depended on the batch. They also needed to be loaded really hot, lots of jump and many rifles would not shoot them accurately.

The 40 grain Vmax works great too but they are almost double the price of the SPSX.

The SPSX produce spectacular results on gophers and we have shot hundreds of yotes with them. We have only ever got an exit hole if the yote was over 500 yards.

Last edited:
I've used Hornady 55 gr spire point factory loads on coyotes a lot. They kill quick with minimal fur damage at longer distances (say 100-300) but sometimes make an awful mess of the hide if the shot is close range. I've been considering switching to a heavier bonded SP hoping to minimize exit hole sizes.

Hornady 50 grain SPSX. You can easily get them up around 3500 FPS, very accurate bullet out past 600 yards, inexpensive and rarely make an exit hole. They were the original frangible bullet. Speed limit is 3600 fps, if you shoot a 22-250 they make a 55 grain version for the faster velocity.

What is the difference between the Hornady SPSX and regular SP?

I have a box of the 55gr SP on the way here.

What is the difference between the Hornady SPSX and regular SP?

I have a box of the 55gr SP on the way here.
The SX stands for Super Explosive. They open up way faster than the SP. If you shoot gophers with both you will easily see the difference in explosive effect. The SX vaporize gophers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts