• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED FS/ Vortex Viper Scope's- Price drop

I have to admit I thought you guys were to hard on SouthPaw but if he's selling used scopes and representing them as being used as new I'd be a little disappointed also. I don't think he's sold them all so he probably screwed himself!

I wasn't hard on him. Merely pointing out that you need to practice due dilligence when selling anything on the net.

In retrospect, maybe I should have been more hard assed.

I came real close to buying one as well. I had just bought a PST from Cameraland the week prior.

I could have gotten a used/new scope too.

Scopes aren't like a jacket that you can try on to see if it fits and if it don't put it back on the rack, scopes, when you tighten the rings, are for all practical purposes, used, or even a rifle. Just think about how many people handled the rifle you bought off the shelf at your local gun shop..... Probably quite a few and some probably had dirty hands, or worse....:)

Now, I might be able to pass a used scope off as new because I never have any ring marks, I carefully lap and align my rings, always.

Me, I'd not ever consider that because I want to be honest and play fair, but I could get away with it...........:D

Just say'in.

I have to let you know most guy's don't have a clue what lapping rings is. I shot for twenty five years before I learned the value of lapping rings. Now I move my scopes from one rifle to another and don't have ring marks. The truth is he probably got a good scope for the $ spent. Ring marks don't effect how it works.

Not on thread as it pertains to the scope sale but ring marks, if pronounced enough can indicate damage to the tube or erector mechanism. It's quite possible with mis aligned rings to tighten the caps and deform the tube and render the optic useless.

Neither here nor there and not germane to this thread but noteworthy anyway.

Just lapping a set of rings for maximum contact and concentricity is half the procedure. The other half and something that is not commonly done is aligning the rings themselves to the bore/base/rail in relationship to the scope.

Not for everyone but certainly for me. Remember, the farther you shoot, the more pronounced even a slight alignment issue becomes and LR scope don't come cheap. Why chance it.

no matter how you slice it he payed new price for a used scope and has every right to be ****ed. this is why if your willing to pay new price buy from a authorized dealer so this wont happen

..yup lessons learned....

I have over 1,000 transaction on ebay involved in the sale and purchase of goods over $70,000

I have BEEN VERY LUCKY since 1998.

I also have numerous buys/sells on ArcheryTalk and other hunting forums....

SO, I have to admit that I am disappointed in this specific transaction.

I know that Vortex will warranty 1st, 2nd owner, etc....The ring marks are slightly sub-surface [very slight]

But, for the OP to not HONESTLY disclose this fact is enough to warrant his future REPUTATION = Buyer Beware.

I typically do not buy here on LongRange because they DO NOT have a feedback system that is readily apparent on the users name.....

If you go back through this specific thread......then you can see hindsight is 20/20.

Detailed Pictures of the scopes would have quickly made the decision process better.

AND, the fact that the OP initially was selling ABOVE MAP [minimum advertised price] was another clue.

I mounted the scope on my 6.5x61Super and will "test drive" it this morning....stay tuned...

If you look closely at this thread's first post, the OP DELETED the "All scope's are new in box with everything that come's in them."

I also found the OP's original thread on Predatormasters.com

I just bought a local fella out he is closing shop and this is some of what I was able to get that I wont be using.This add is posted on another site as well so bare with me here 1st I'll take it gets it.The price is set with $20.00 shipping in mind.
This is the best I can do guy's
Sorry no trade's at this time.
All scope's are new in box with everything that come's in them.
All Vortex
PST
(2) 6-24X50 FFP w/EBR-1 Retical (1)MOA (1)Mil-Rad -SPF
(3) 6-24X50 SFP w/EBR-1 Retical Mil-Rad------------$740.00 each Shipped
(2) 2.5-10X44 SFP EBR-1 Retical Mil-Rad------------$620.00 each
Shipped
(4) 1-4X24 SFP w/TMCQ Retical MOA------------------$510.00 each Shipped

HS
(2)4-16X50 SFP BDC---------------------------------$550.00 each Shipped
(2)4-16X44 SFP (1)BDC (1)V-Plex--------------------$515 each Shipped

Viper
(1)6.5-20X50 SFP w/BDC-----------------------------$465 Shipped
I am shooting in the dark here so let me know if I am too high.

Just curious, I checked my software settings just now and we are set to allow post editing in each specific post for only 180 minutes after the original text is posted.

Does anyone think the post was edited at a time later than 180 minutes?

And, by the way, this is an example of why we restrict the right to edit.

Just curious, I checked my software settings just now and we are set to allow post editing in each specific post for only 180 minutes after the original text is posted.

Does anyone think the post was edited at a time later than 180 minutes?

And, by the way, this is an example of why we restrict the right to edit.

Len...

I knew you had a time parameter, never knew what it was.....

Not sure (time wise). If you note, I made a comment after the OP's post but the time frame escapes me. I made mention of the NIB statement in my post following his, so it was there when I posted my reply.

As a bystander, I'm relieved that the OP had indicated that he would 'make it right' with the buyer, at least he acknowledges that there is an issue.

Probably the stickler with this for sale and wanted stuff is it relies on honesty and competency on the part of the poster to provide the correct information to prospective buyers. That isn't always the case and it's not always premeditated either. Sometimes, it's difficult to convey the actual condition/circumstances, especially in this case where there were never any pictures posted to accompany the descriptions.

I will say that the regulars on this site are all above board when it comes not only to posting but buying/selling stuff, however, because it's a publically viewed forum anyone can register and then offer items, one reason I always check the post count, but that don't mean everyone does.

My suggestion if you can entertain it, would be to require at least one picture of the item offered, especially if there are any issues, cosmetic or otherwise that may impact the sale.

Just a suggestion.