Forming 375 Ruger brass from 8x68s cases

That's mind boggling
Ya, Ruger and Hornady designed a case that measured the size of the belt on belted magnums Not a bad idea at face value but then they produced junk brass. No one else makes brass for it because it is a Hornady /Ruger thing. So here we are with a good case design and no good brass. It pretty much follows along with Hornadys battle plan with everything. IMO, They produce inexpensive ammo and sell a lot of it. It's probably not a totally bad idea because they make $$$, but it just doesn't cater well to hand loaders and the long range group. Kind of a fast food mentality!

Charles Newton had the same idea in 1913, or close to that time. Amazing it has taken 100 years for someone else to realize what a good idea it is.

Hopefully the 6.5 and 300 PRC will catch on, if they can catch some of the fire that the Creedmoor has maybe other brass manufactures will start making some decent stuff.

Charles Newton had the same idea in 1913, or close to that time. Amazing it has taken 100 years for someone else to realize what a good idea it is.

Hopefully the 6.5 and 300 PRC will catch on, if they can catch some of the fire that the Creedmoor has maybe other brass manufactures will start making some decent stuff.

Personally, I don't envision how that will happen. The 6.5 PRC was poorly thought out IMO. They had an opportunity to shorten the case so it actually fit in a short action but went the same route as some others. They always give up performance by designing a case that the bullet has to be seated too deeply to fit in most actions. The Creedmore succeeded because it was, and is, a good design
The 30 PRC, even though it is a good design, has a lot of other 30 magnums to compete with, so we'll see?

Yeah I researched every similar size cases with a .532" rim for forming 375 Ruger brass. There's nothing else out there that doesn't have a belt.

I had never considered using a case like the 8x68s with a slightly smaller oddball size rim. Great job thinking outside the box ;)

Yeah I researched other cases with a .532" rim for forming 375 Ruger brass. There nothing else out there that doesn't have a belt.

I had never comsidered using a case with a slightly smaller oddball size rim that's close.

Desperate wildcatters taking desperate measures.:)

I like what yorke-1 is all about! ;)

I have a trick throater we could use too!
The bullets I'm using could benefit from 0.030-0.040" additional throat depth, so I'll deepen the throat that distance, in addition to 0.070" further with your reamer.
30/8x68S
30/8x68SSI? No. That's in conflict with your pre-existing lineup of SS and SSI cartridges.
Hmmmm...

Last edited:
I installed a Wyatt's CFE-9 magazine to cycle 338-375R using 250gr bullets seated way up out of the donut area with the base just below the shoulder body junction. Gives me a lot more useable case capacity. The Wyatt's CFE-9 magazine is as big as you can go on a 700. My inside mag length is now 4".

I also had to re-work my bolt stop for the longer mag. Might put a Defiance side stop in later on. Then I had to open up my ejection port and extra .300" to eject cases reliably since the bolt face now stops a lot further back. Of course I had to do stock work as well. It was a pain in the butt, but I could now run 300gr Bergers seated out of the donut area as well if I wanted.

Last edited:
Using a powder similar to that phorwath used and the case lube I was able to keep a case of at least 2.580" consistently. So yes it seems good. I haven't shot that enough since to get a feel of numbers of loading but hit on 84.5 of N570 with the 225 ELDMs at approx 3100 depending on conditions. It is definitely stouter brass than the 375 Ruger.

Jace
Jace, I heard a rumor you were going full length Sherman 338/8x68S!
You dog!!! :)
Beat me to it! Here I thought I'd be the innovator. Nope, I'm sucking hind T_t...
Good for you! Look forward to hearing more about it.

Here is a comparison of the 8x68 and the 30/375 S.I. My capacity is about 95 grs with RWS brass
IMG_20180825_155713607.jpg

DE9A4156-92AB-4441-BDDB-47273C0E856F.jpeg Well we'll see how it likes it. I was hoping to have some data in a week or so but it turns out the smith needed a small tool he didn't have on the shelf so it's going to be a few weeks. I'll be in touch with what we come up with. I think we'll throat for the 285 ELDMs. The

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.