First Elk Hunt...Dissapointing

That sucks about he quality of the hunt, but its a lesson learned and I'm sure next time your seek out some more challenging adventures.

You want adventure? Give Jay Reynolds at Open Creek outfitters a call. I did this hunt a couple years ago and wont ever forget it. If I remember right, from Cody Wyoming, 41 miles to trailhead, 32 miles horseback.

i guess you need pro companions and more practices, Please don't feel bad, you are not the first.
i also think you need to learn how to hid your scent.

Hunting isnt like the good old days. Google hunting outfitters and you get a billion hits. We really need to have good filters. Word of mouth on these forums is a good place to start. Yes there are many outfitters that are ethical and offer a good experience with a good chance to shoot a trophy. But in the internet age anyone who can procure a license to be an outfitter and can post pics to a website can be an "outfitter". Buyer beware...**** glad at least I own my own land to hunt deer, but with elk/bear I tread the outfitter waters...

Well aside from the lousy hunt experience ... how was the weather ? Did you need an air conditioner or heater during the sightseeing tour ? nah, jus kiddin' .. What kind of shot did you surprise yourself with on your trophy and what bullet did you use ? .. Nice Rig you have I might add.!

Hunting isnt like the good old days. Google hunting outfitters and you get a billion hits. We really need to have good filters. Word of mouth on these forums is a good place to start. Yes there are many outfitters that are ethical and offer a good experience with a good chance to shoot a trophy. But in the internet age anyone who can procure a license to be an outfitter and can post pics to a website can be an "outfitter". Buyer beware...**** glad at least I own my own land to hunt deer, but with elk/bear I tread the outfitter waters...

i totally agree with you, Hunters have to more careful and make sure they get an outfitter that worth every penny and can provide the service...i think itsll all because a lot of people now want to hunt and just wanted to be out in nature so it kinda a big business now.

I personally have never been on a guided elk hunt. I do hunt where guides and clients are present however. If you want a true hunting experience, go on a guided trip that involves horses. Horses don't take the hiking out of the equation, just get you to where the hiking counts. I have my own horses, but things don't always go well, this year my pack horse dumped all of my gear into the creek at the trail head on my mule deer hunt. I never made it into my favorite hunting hole and success suffered. Wyoming is a great state to go on a guided elk hunt, but tags can be a little hard to draw, it might take you a couple of years. Many of the best elk areas are also Grizzly infested, a good guide is worth his fee. If you want a true hunting experience, stay away from the private land hunts and hunt with an outfitter that hunts on national forest.

We just returned from a muzzleloader hunt in SE NM with Prime Tine Outdoors. This was a guided hunt on Nat'l Forest land and we couldn't have had a better hunt. The guides put us onto elk everyday and there was never any pressure to shoot. A very tough hunt as we averaged 5 to 6 miles a day on foot. We went 2 for 4 and everyone had shot opportunities. I would highly recommend these guys!

just returned from ID and went with Mile High Outfitters. owner Travis was easy to deal with and straight to the point. They are out of Challis,ID. you fly in about 35-40min then its about a 3.5 hr horseback ride to camp. hunts are in the Frank Church wilderness area

I used to think back country hunting was the only way to kill a bull, did a lot of it on foot here in Idaho.
Finally got tired of hiking more than I was hunting.
I've changed my strategy these past few years and have taken 7 bulls between my wife and I, all within 2 miles of the truck, archery and rifle.
There's plenty of thick nasty elk habitat that people just don't want to hunt in, and it'll surprise you how close it often is to a road.
Oh and ditch the guides if you want the satisfaction of a true elk hunting experience.
A DIY raghorn is a more meaningful trophy in my opinion than a 300 class bull that's been bought and paid for..

I certainly know how to pack in by myself. I have a lot of experience backpacking and am very comfortable navigating in the wilderness, but I don't have any experience in finding, stalking, calling or even field dressing an elk. That's why I was hoping to find a guide that I could learn from on the hunt.

"Field Dressing" it can seem like a daunting task but trust me its not. If you have field dressed whitetails or mule deer you can learn it and feel confident. There are tons of YouTube videos on the "Gutless method" even some of the state agencies produce videos on how to do it. This is what you will do on a back country hunt, read the state reg on what you "have to" bring out, something like all 4 quarters and backstraps. A lot of people more like rib meat, neck meat, tenderloins, teeth,...

The finding elk part is the biggest challenge, sometimes it comes down to putting in some miles and it sounds like your are good at that.

Calling is a seasonal thing, not as much calling going after the rut which is in Sept which is during archery season for most states. So don't worry to much about calling on hunts after Sept.

Good Luck,

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts