First builds action questions?

ptran93

Hello all,
I had a couple questions regarding Pinned and intergral MOA rails.

I'm thinking about building a rem 700 base 12" SBR 8.6 blackout rifle. It'll be served as a sub 250 yard rifle while shooting suppressed. Now, I've been doing a little research on what action I want to use and such but it seems as though most custom actions are standard 20 MOA rails, would I have trouble sighting in my scope if so? I'd prefer 0 moa rail since it's a short range rifle.

Would you guys buy a stock Rem SA .308BF action over a custom on a build like this?

Im considering saving the extra funds for a custom action for 6.5 PRC mid-longer range build as well.

There's plenty of options that don't have a built in 20moa rail... Weatherby 307, Stiller, Bighorn Origin, Defiance Tenacity/Classic, Borden, Mesa, Lone Peak, Curtis...

There's plenty of options that don't have a built in 20moa rail... Weatherby 307, Stiller, Bighorn Origin, Defiance Tenacity/Classic, Borden, Mesa, Lone Peak, Curtis...
I actually looked into the bighorn origin, assuming it's the same as zermatt cause the price seems reasonable and in my budget but it doesn't list the option for a 0 moa, I've only seen 20 moa.

I actually looked into the bighorn origin, assuming it's the same as zermatt cause the price seems reasonable and in my budget but it doesn't list the option for a 0 moa, I've only seen 20 moa.

You can buy either a 0 moa rail or 0 moa ring/mounts for them.

Just thinking out of the box here; could maybe install 20 MOA rings backwards to cancel out the 20 MOA rail?

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

If it were me I'd buy a Savage action and a prefit barrel or have a smith cut a barrel for you. They're above average out of the box and make great custom platforms with one exception. Not as many aftermarket stocks if that interest you.

Save the money for a custom where it will shine.

Or if you just want a custom it would be hard to beat the new Def classic.

Hello all,

I'm thinking about building a rem 700 base 12" SBR 8.6 blackout rifle. It'll be served as a sub 250 yard rifle while shooting suppressed. Now, I've been doing a little research on what action I want to use and such but it seems as though most custom actions are standard 20 MOA rails, would I have trouble sighting in my scope if so? I'd prefer 0 moa rail since it's a short range rifle.

Would you guys buy a stock Rem SA .308BF action over a custom on a build like this?

Im considering saving the extra funds for a custom action for 6.5 PRC mid-longer range build as well.
Based only on the info provided...

I'd buy a custom Coup De Grace action and have a barrel made for your 6.8BLK and a barrel for a 6.5 PRC both.
You should have no problem getting a 6.8 BLK zeroed regardless if it has a 20 MOA rail. Of course this depends partly on what scope you intend to use. You may even want to start with a 40 MOA base.
The Origin is another option, but between the two...id take the Coup de Grace.

I would personally never start a build with a Rem action unless you have a damaged or worn rifle in hand that doesn't shoot.

Hello all,

Are you saying you would be shooting subsonic ammo for the 8.6? If so then a 20 moa pic rail isn't going to hurt you. To send the heavy projectile at a slower speed it needs a bigger arch, will be the same even if you aren't shooting a heavy projectile subsonic.

Based only on the info provided...

I'd buy a custom Coup De Grace action and have a barrel made for your 6.8BLK and a barrel for a 6.5 PRC both.
You should have no problem getting a 6.8 BLK zeroed regardless if it has a 20 MOA rail. Of course this depends partly on what scope you intend to use. You may even want to start with a 40 MOA base.
The Origin is another option, but between the two...id take the Coup de Grace.

I would personally never start a build with a Rem action unless you have a damaged or worn rifle in hand that doesn't shoot.
Why would you take the Coup over the origin? The Coup looks great on paper but I've talked to very few that have one, to get their hands on opinion. I'm curious about anyone that owned or has shoot them both to know pros and cons

Why would you take the Coup over the origin? The Coup looks great on paper but I've talked to very few that have one, to get their hands on opinion. I'm curious about anyone that owned or has shoot them both to know pros and cons
75% preference. 25% features for the money

I have 6 TL3s right now, and no Origins, but I understand the place the Origin fills. I have used them, I have shot them. I know it's nit-picking, but if i am getting a custom action, I personally want an integrated recoil lug. For me personally...that's a deal breaker when you can get the Coup De Grace for the same price as the Origin, and last I checked...1/2 the wait time.

I have a Long Action CDG and for the $899 price point...it rivals actions 2x+ the price. Thats just a fact.

I'm basically pot committed to the TL3 and see no reason to change...but when the CDG came out...I had to jump on it for a 300 Norma Imp build. PURELY for the price, I couldn't pass it up. If a short action runs anywhere near as smooth as the LA...it's a winner.
Trigger hanger was a little bit of a turn off, [suggested] AW mags was a little bit of a turn off, but neither were deal breakers.