First Ar15 Deer

treyboy7

Got my first deer with any ar platform Saturday. I have to say I'm impressed with the performance out of the little 5.56, this is also my first deer with any caliber smaller than .27 and it far exceeded my expectations. I was a little skeptical at first taking this thing deer hunting but I've always heard .223/556 is plenty for deer if you put it in the vitals. The shot was close to end of shooting light so I thought the doe was slightly quartered away but was actually quartered to. The bullet entered right behind the shoulder and caught the back of the lungs and must have deflected off a rib on the opposite side and then just tumbled into the intestines. Destroyed the back of the lungs and every organ behind them. Never could find the bullet but it was a Barnes 62 gr tsx. Bout a 110# on doe which is about 10# shy of as big as they get where I hunt. 80 yard shot. She went 15-20 yards and piled up dead in seconds. I got this radical firearms rf-15 about 3 months ago sort of just as a fun gun and home/property defense, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it deer hunting again.

WARNING: may be graphic to some
The second pic shows the damage on the entrance wound

96B38D07-3AD6-412C-88CA-C7D97D82D463.jpeg
AED6B4E7-14E2-44D0-AB6B-AF3C8DEDC2EE.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a niece that uses one deer hunting and to this day, she's not had any issues killing deer.
I'm going to try mine out for the first time this year too! Chambered in .450BM though. Been wanting one for a long time, got it to **** my one liberal uncles off because he believes AR's should be illegal to own.

They're nothing but a MSR, modern sporting rifle!!

Congratulations!!

yup that little 5.56 can do some solid work. I've been using the 64gr hammer hunter in mine and haven't been disappointed yet. They are very lethal on deer size critters.

Years ago when everyone in my area of eastern Montana thought 30-06 was minimum for deer I thought that was BS.

I bought a Rem 788 in 22-250, kept shots under 100 yards and aimed low and behind the shoulder bone. Killed a truckload of deer with one shot.
The lungs were absolutely shredded and hearts mostly exploded. Chest cavity filled with blood. The only downside was the bullet grenades and no exit to follow a blood trail.

But now we have copper and bonded bullets that hold together and exit so that's not an issue.

Speed kills!

Here's my first and definitely not my last using the 450BM!! This thing is awesome! I was so excited to get to take it out and hammer something with it, and I did, didn't care what it was but it so happened to be this guy!

View attachment 409499View attachment 409500View attachment 409501View attachment 409502
Nice one man, congrats! Just got home from Nebraska last week, harvested a solid 8 point while I was there. Not with the 5.56 though, I brought the .270 so I could be more lethal at long range. This guy was about a 275 yard shot. I'll be back in the Louisiana woods after thanksgiving with the 5.56 after a few mature bucks we have on camera.

CFEA2812-F777-44CD-AFC5-858ACA1B0B8B.jpeg