Finally put it together!

texan79

Alright LRH,

Here's my new rig. She not a custom (yet) but im proud of it all the same. Heres the skinny:

Remington Sendero SF II -- 7mm Rem Mag
NF 20 MOA 1 pc base
NF .885 ultra lite rings
NF 5.5-22X56 w/ NPR2
11 lbs 10 oz

Just torqued all the bolts and ready to hit the range. I did this project completely under the wifes financial radar, so I have no one else to be exited with me, but yall.

Range reports to follow. Im also looking for a good recipe for the Berger 168 VLD's if anyone has one to share.

MVC-011S.jpg

MVC-012S.jpg

MVC-013S.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking rig!
I've been using H1000 with 162 amax with good results. It would work out well for the 168vls as well.

73 gr H1000, federal case, federal 215 primer 168 berger vld, projectile just into lands. 3087 fps from 26" tube. 0.5 - 0.7 MOA @ 100 yds.

I haven't tweeked this load at all. Just started with bullet into lands and then increased powder charge to the velocity I wanted. The group size was acceptable for my rifle, custom barrel, worked action, bedded, but still the remington plastic stock (I did stiffen the forend with epoxy).

Stu.

Great rig its going to shoot lights out! No need for anything else at this time. In the future I would sugest a trigger job, wayatts extended mag box and a skim bedding job.

These inexpensive upgrades will inhance your rigs performance ten fold!

If your running Hunting VLD's you need to do a 24 round seating depth test it will save you ammo in the long run.

These are your seating depths off the lands. Each seating depth should consist of six rounds fired at 200 YARDS. You will see the results! I got lucky and nailed it a .050 but this test is only designed to get you close so you dont waste time and money.

Dont get to upset if your rounds will not fit in the mag its normal for a rifle with out the extended mag box. I have to single round load my 300 win mag.

Jon

Thanks Jon. The rifle came with the pro mark adjustable trigger, which I cranked down to 2 lbs, and think im going to stick with it for a while. Feels crisp and smooth enough for me. (granted, I'm not BR shooter used to 2 ounce, glass smooth triggers) What would the Timney or Jewell give me that I dont have now? (I'm going to guess smoothness?) I think 2 lbs should be acceptable on a hunting rifle?

My best loads with the 168 VLD is with WW brass, Fed215 primers, 71.9 gr Retumbo, seated .020" from the lands in my Sendero SFII.
You may also want to check out a Rifle Basix trigger, I love mine.

That's an awesome hunting rifle. Well done sir! You are going to have a lot of fun with that. It will put meat in the freezer for years.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.