Finally managed to get a shot opportunity this morning.

sdakotaguy

Started Archery deer hunting earlier than usual this season & have been seeing very little with no shot opportunity until this AM. I have been out of venison for roughly 2 months now. Good to have deer in the freezer again.

Shot opportunity came at 12 yards. Buck trotted of 35 yards after the shot walked another 10 yards & beded down for good. Have everything cut up & in the freezer already thanks to help from a good friend. Next weekend is rifle opener here so the freezer should be filled again soon with a couple of doe tags to fill.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0477-1.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0477-1.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 231
I shot my first non-high fence buck this year. I could barely stand on my saddle platform. I was shaking so bad after the shot.
I remember when I used to react very similar in terms of buck fever - shaking. The satisfaction was much greater back then.

I still get buck fever after the shot, though nothing like that,

Share one of my favorite buck fever stories. This took place, probably 16 years ago. I had set up in a lock on tree stand in a tree barely large enough to utilize the lock on. Tree was on a rather steep slope leading to a body of water. Simply was not that far off the ground.

Heard deer chasing it a tree thicket up wind of me. Soon a doe dashes by me 12 yards away. Then deer steps are heard with a buck grunt nearly every step in the tree thicket. Out pops the buck quartering to me at 12 yards. I did manage to draw the bow before he appeared out of the tree thicket. Trouble was the quartering to shot was a no go. So he stood there seemingly staring at me on my low lock-on & I felt like I was not concealed whatsoever.

Truth was I had a fairly good bit of tree behind me & in front to break up my Silhouette. Well the buck continued to stare me down & my knee started shaking. The knee shake progressively got worse for roughly 90 seconds before settling down. Then the buck put his head down to sniff the ground & turned broadside. The pin was settled & arrow was released & he turned & ran out of sight around the tree thicket he came from. The shaking started all over again.

20 minutes later I settled down. & got down from the tree & went to inspect the arrow. blood on the arrow was fairly good.

Last edited: