Finally got out doggin

MachV

It took till the 6th of July to get my first Wy dogs. Just been too busy making a liveing to do much living! Not much long range as 450 yards was the long shot but thought I'd share it anyway.
Being a Night-Rat I didnt start packing the Tahoe till dang near noon. Momma was wondering if I was moveing out as I put the Ruger 77-22,both Savage 204s ,the 223CZ, 223 J action Savage and the Cooper 22PPC along with 100 rounds of ammo for each gun in the truck, "Naw" I told her "I just want to have the bases covered"
Couldnt find the clips for my Go-To gun (the CZ in 223) so I had to make a pitstop @ Sportsmans to pick up a new one= $37.75!!!
So now its dang near 2PM and I'm just lining up the first shot with the usual 22lr. Got a couple with the 22lr but it was clear the dogs had played this game before!
"No worries=on to plan B"
I broke out old faithfull(the little CZ) and filled the new $37 clip. Got five for five with the first clip and one more out of the second refill when CLICK, fiddeld with it for a short but no go. It acted like the safty was on but the safty was locked in the fire position.
"No Worries=On to plan C"
Traded the CZ for the J action Savage that has prooven to be very acurate. First round woundn't chamber, try a second and third but none will go. Something in there that dont belong and I forgot the cleaning rods!!!
"No worries=On to plan D"
At this point I'm hopeing for a little better luck out of the 22PPC Cooper...Especialy since I figured out ya gotta turn the necks on 220Russian brass to get it to fit the chamber. Well it proved to be quite the dog illiminator. Got 21dogs with the first 20 shots= One double. BUT the barrel is hot and there are still dogs up.
"No Worries=On to plan E"
While getting the lite 204 Stevens out of the back I realize I have company so pics are in order!
7-6-08%20Glens%20002.jpg

7-6-08%20Glens%20003.jpg

Wish now I had put the crosshairs on the gull as there was a dog right behind it? As I didnt see the close one a longer shot with the 204 revieled that the scope was definatly off. A couple more shots confirmed the diagnosis but the dogs where not gonna sit around and wait for me to sight the dang thing in.
"No Worries=On to plan F"
F is apropiet as I'm down to the last gun I trew in the back of the Tahoe. Got the old left handed long action 204 out of the back and threw it on the hood. She aint pretty and you gotta manualy lift the bolt release lever up to be able to cock the dang thing but it proved to be quite the killer today!!
7-6-08%20Glens%20007.jpg

Got 23 out of the first 25 after figureing out the wind and scope before the barrel got hot.
"No Worries=Back to plan D"
As you may remember plan D was the 22PPC Cooper shooting fireform loads. It got hot after 15 straight kills in a row.
"No Worries back to plan F"
After moveing to a new spot the 204 shooting 40 grain Vmaxes was still on a roll, killing 23 for 25 with one more double.I found this guy just laying there and thought the 40Vmax might not be doing an effective job of killing?
7-6-08%20Glens%20008.jpg

But upon flipping her over a different view convinced me that just maybe I had shot a little low.
7-6-08%20Glens%20009.jpg

Back to the Cooper again to let the 204 cool. Being a tightwad I had loaded the last 15 rounds in the box with some old leftover 55s. They shot alright just took a couple of rounds to figure out where they where going=Missed 5 of the next ten and I lied I only brought 50 rounds of 22PPC. Saved the last five for later and went back to the 204 in a different pasture. This was on my way out as a storm was moveing in and I wanted to be closer to the oil road. Got my only tripple of the day with the first shot and got the barrel on that 204 WAY too hot trying to get all the dumb dogs in this area with the rounds I had left for it.It was just starting to sprinkle when I used up the last of the PPC ammo on a few dogs that refused to get out of the rain.
Even though I had to resort to plan F the afternoon was a gooden, my hit ratio was at an all time high and the patures where a few dogs thinner.
Still hard to believe its the 6th of July and its still green.
7-6-08%20Glens%20015.jpg

Good wright up and some good shootin.

I wish I had some time to even make it to the range , I feel your pain on the earning a living and not doin much livin.

I've been over to Wy. a couple of times to shoot pd's ,my favorite rifle became my cz 221 fb w/ 40gr v max.
Any pd within 250yds is in trouble.

I think the sub calibers -17 and 20's would be perfect.
There's a peta do-gooder crying his/her eyes out b/c you shot that furry little cuddly chipmonk =flea infested rat.

I sure wish seagulls could be shot....

Gulls really make a nice puff of feathers when hit with a Vmax BUT thier $55 a pop if you get caught..........Or so they tell me :eek:
As for the PETA crybabies,they will have to get over it!!!! I was just feeding the birds :D That I dont shoot...............................Anymore!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.