Finally after all these year bought inch pound torque wrench for rifle scopes

I've always wondered how accurate my Wheeler FAT is. I have not experienced a problem that I am aware of at this point. Many of us try to measure things within 0.001" and 0.01 grain in reloading, but accept the accuracy of a plastic torque tool when mounting a $2k+ scope.
It's because it is still more accurate than my hand-tightening technique/process—no difference before rangefinders trusting our guesstimations on a hunt of a lifetime. I thought I was very good at estimating distances, but I was humbled by my Leica RF and how badly I needed it.

I've always wondered how accurate my Wheeler FAT is. I have not experienced a problem that I am aware of at this point. Many of us try to measure things within 0.001" and 0.01 grain in reloading, but accept the accuracy of a plastic torque tool when mounting a $2k+ scope.
Me too. I've had my wheeler for many years and use it all the time. Don't know if there is a way to calibrate them or not. The last AR cantilever Mount I put on had base screw torque spec of 60 in/lbs! That kind of freaked me out. Anyway, I always try to remember to dial it back to 0 before putting it away. Sometimes, I forget.

Me too. I've had my wheeler for many years and use it all the time. Don't know if there is a way to calibrate them or not. The last AR cantilever Mount I put on had base screw torque spec of 60 in/lbs! That kind of freaked me out. Anyway, I always try to remember to dial it back to 0 before putting it away. Sometimes, I forget.
I know there is a way to measure the actual torque (which is very pricey). Still, I do not think calibration/internal adjustment is advisable or even possible for the average Joe. In either case, it is not worth the fuss; +/- 2 IN-LBS is good enough for me; I keep mine on the -2 IN-LBS.

I know that most will not take the time to view the video, so I took a snapshot of the accuracy of each torque wrench test.

1708380902016.png

Last edited:
When I bought the cheap torque wrench off Amazon I figured it might lack accuracy. But if it's 18 instead of 20 at least they will be close to the same.

I checked a couple more mounted scopes and all really close. I started out as an instrument mechanic/tech in the mid 70's, power plants chemical plants and oil refineries. Back then controls were mainly pneumatic. Lots of linkages and delicate parts to recorders, pressure transmitters etc. That all changed with electronics. I still use my Foxboro kit to adjust triggers. Working on guns and such comes easy to some of us based on our past professions I'd guess.

I bought one from vortex. Their scopes are sensitive to over tightening and I over tightened one that had to be replaced

Always reset to zero

I was told by a Snap on tool man and the company that CDI makes the screwdriver for Snap on and puts Snap on name on them. I wonder why the guy did not review that one also? Its not that much higher in price.

Those that question the accuracy of the Wheeler have a valid concern. Myself having access to a plethora of metrology equipment has afforded me the opportunity to test a handful of them. In short, they are never repeatable, being when on the same setting they will test differently every time. The ones I tested would be anywhere from 2 to 8 inlb from the targeted setting. This came about when some friends of mine had some issues over tightening a pic rail and came to me to repair the action. I personally us a Snap On inlb wrench with the clock face dial. I also have Fix It sticks I carry in my pack, and tested mine and a few others. They are pretty darn good. I can get them to test the same each time, however, they may not be exactly the advertised spec, but are always less than 1.3 percent which is small. Technique is a factor when using a torque wrench as well.
This post should be stickied somewhere. I've mentioned my doubts about the FAT wrenches in the past, but lacked any numbers to go for a conviction. When the cost of a commercial/industrial use torque wrench is several to many times what the FAT wrench's cost it ought to be a warning sign. I would buy one of these before I bought a FAT wrench: https://www.mcmaster.com/7181A22/ but at ±7% even it's accuracy isn't all that great. If you really need accurate then you need something like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/5358A44/
I'll mention my preference for beam type torque wrenches over clickers or pretty much anything else. This is because they are user caibratable and are easy to see when out of calibration. You can't change their accuracy, but you can change their Zero.

[Note that I'm using McMaster for the easy links, not necessarily recommending them as the lowest priced vendor.]

I thought the same thing. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to read at the top of the line or below it. 😂. I still use it but I always wonder if it's right.

Recent Posts