Feed Back on .338 300gr OTMs on Elk

amu_shooter

Hello, I recently shot 2 Cow Elk down on a Ranch in Region 5.

One was an adolescent at 476 yards the other was a full grown Cow , hit her at 824yards.

Both shot with my 338 LM, Berger 300gr OTMs at MV of 2810.

Big entrance hole, no exit it on either with massive internal damage.

Has anyone experienced this? Wasted a lot of meat on both shoulders.

Should I consider different bullet?

Understood thanks, they both were dead before they hit the ground, was surprised by lack exit.

I have another hunt early Feb, may load some CE 250 Lazers and give them a shot.
If you are looking for an exit wound, Berger is not your bullet. They are fragmenting bullets designed to dump maximum energy on impact. They do not need to have an exit wound to be effective. It is one of the features that made me switch in 2003; it reduces the risk of shooting what is behind the target. I don't shoot them in the shoulder. Even if I shoot at the shoulder, I will take the meat loss over losing the entire game, especially at the distances you harvested the cows.

Last edited:
That's a typical experience with Bergers, or you get the pin hole. Depending on if you caught heavy bone or in between the ribs. I have seen both, a lot. I have made my decision of not shooting Bergers for that reason. They are a very accurate bullet which does make it difficult decision to not use them. I am personally not a fan of them for hunting. To me their terminal performance has not been consistent on game animals. Especially in 300gr 338 line up. Just my personal experience with them. I'm sure others have had better experiences with them, but with over 30 elk harvested with 338 Lapua and Edges I'm a bit biased on my opinion and findings. Do they work yes so does a full metal jacket, but I personally want something that performs almost exactly the same every time.

I have some 240 BD II I think they are Im going try, I did hit it in opposite shoulder, its just your into the super mag territory.Ive shot threw everything with them at the yards I said, even a muley at 700 double shoulder, but it was a high wind shot on last day.

Any thoughts on the 300 Gr Accubonds or 285 ELD-Xs?
My experience with the AB's its a no brainer over any Berger. I have never shot an Elk with any ELDM or X. That being said the standard Hornady Interlock is one great elk killing bullet.

Fragmenting bullets kill better but do damage more meat. More damage is why they kill better. High retention bullets do less damage penetrate more. If you're using 338LM and 300 gr, that's odd combo for meat hunting but great for long distance KILLING. Might rethink your choice of bullet throwers maybe??

I have always believe killing is first, meat is second and I love Berger's. I don't think they destroy meat worse than any other fragmenting bullet. Original accubonds are a happy medium, mono save meat cuz they just have trama around the wound.

Both work just a matter of what is most important to you

that was a problem with the elite hunter line with the thinner jacket but the hybrid otm with a heavier jacket normally exits at most distances.
did you clear the nose with a drill bit, some like to make sure that they are open but if you go to deep or large in the drill size it will cause them to be more explosive than normal.
for the 300 not to exit at 840yds at Lapua velocities is not the norm.

Walter
Hello, I recently shot 2 Cow Elk down on a Ranch in Region 5.

One was an adolescent at 476 yards the other was a full grown Cow , hit her at 824yards.

Both shot with my 338 LM, Berger 300gr OTMs at MV of 2810.

Big entrance hole, no exit it on either with massive internal damage.

Has anyone experienced this? Wasted a lot of meat on both shoulders.

Should I consider different bullet?
Walter
Happy New Year and good luck on harvesting some elk. Good tasting meat.
You know more than anyone I know that would know the preformance of a 300gr OTM from a 338LM. It's a terminal round desinged for the millarty targets. Unless you are bumping up to the 50 BMG the 338LM is King. (Well the .338NM is now more prevelant due to mag length)
You need to shoot the boiler room - shoulders are for just dropping in their tracks.
Thanks much for all of your help. Can't repay you enough!
Len & Jill