Federal 10ga hulls.

Orange Dust

Has anyone else had problems with Federal 10 ga hulls separating from the brass base and either sticking in the barrel or shooting like a slug. I had this happen with heavy metal on a goose hunt in Manitoba. Talked to Kelly at Envirometal and she said they had run out of Cheddite hulls and they were Federal. Fast forward to today. I hand loaded some tungsten in once fired Federal hulls. Shot 5 of them and one did it. May give up on Federal hulls but need to use them for the load I want. BTW, this is the paper base hull we are talking about here.

I have had no problems with the Federal 3.5in.10ga hulls. My shotgun is a Browning Gold 10ga. I use it for called coyote "wet work". Two loads used: #1) 2.25oz nickel plated BB, #2) 2oz TSS shot. TSS sizes are #2, #3 or #4. Been using Federal hulls for the last, if memory serves correctly, 20+ years. I should add that I have never shot a factory loaded 10ga Federal hull in any shotgun. All hand loads.

Has anyone else had problems with Federal 10 ga hulls separating from the brass base and either sticking in the barrel or shooting like a slug. I had this happen with heavy metal on a goose hunt in Manitoba. Talked to Kelly at Envirometal and she said they had run out of Cheddite hulls and they were Federal. Fast forward to today. I hand loaded some tungsten in once fired Federal hulls. Shot 5 of them and one did it. May give up on Federal hulls but need to use them for the load I want. BTW, this is the paper base hull we are talking about here.
Maybe it's just me, but the brown federal hulls have seemed to have gotten thinner over time. The green remington hulls are the thickest and can take multiple reloads.

Last edited:

Recent Posts