Votes: 59 9.5%
  • 6.5-47 Lapaua

Votes: 51 8.2%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 48 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 198 32.0%

• Total voters
Yup, all the tooling needs to done prior to nitriding. Shouldn't be a problem after that.

Yes, that's the issue. I wouldn't have been able to set the barrel back after I torch the throat. I would like to see just how much extra life that process would yield in an extreme overbore cartridge....

t

Yes, that's the issue. I wouldn't have been able to set the barrel back after I torch the throat. I would like to see just how much extra life that process would yield in an extreme overbore cartridge....

t

OK, I see. Well hopefully the nitriding will extend the life more than a set back. On the low side, I've heard 200-300 rounds and on the most optimistic side, 3x normal barrel life. I'll probably have some good data on that in a couple of years.

Yup, all the tooling needs to done prior to nitriding. Shouldn't be a problem after that.
I am pretty sure the gunsmith's concerns are for his reamer, for when he has to go into that nitrited
throat to "freshen" it. The Germans have been doing this on my Blasers for a long time and gunsmiths that know how to AI them would know the tricks. I can see where it might take an expensive reamer out of tolerance.
I want to get your response on Thomas Haugland's YouTube blog on the 6.5s...his Blaser R93 barrels are 6.5x55 & 6.5x284. I wanted to do this on your thread so the others could have an opportunity to check these YouTubes out as well. If you prefer I not, PM me and I will hold off. I'm new to blogging and don't want to violate protocol.

I have just started playing with the 120 gr Barnes TTSX in my 6.5 WSM using IMR 7828 SSC. With 63 to 64.5 grs. I'm getting 3550 to 3600 fps with groups around 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 inch at 425 yds during my first test, but the wind was between 5 to 6 mph.
My 6.5 has a 31 inch Krieger tube.
Tarey

The 6.5x284 & 6.5x55 are the two calibers showcased in the very good videos by Thomas Haugland of Norway on his YouTube site "Longrange blog"
#42 shows these calibers from 407-681yards If you can't click on these and get it then copy & paste: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIbndYIIuXw]Longrange blog 42: Blaser shortrange accuracy - YouTube[/ame]

#44 shows them from 984-1134y > [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytVFIi36d9E]Longrange blog 44: Blaser longrange - YouTube[/ame]

#31 & #49 I found very interesting.
If these don't work for you try:
Just type in "Youtube" and when it comes up type in "Longrange blog 42" etc.
Love to hear your feedback.

The 6.5 Creedmoor wasn't listed so I had to choose Other.
The only 6.5 that I seen that wouldn't shoot worth a darn was the Carcano. I'm definatly in the camp with the storm drain or man on the grassy knoll. . Most horrid excuse for a rifle I've ever had.

The 6.5 Creedmoor wasn't listed so I had to choose Other.
The only 6.5 that I seen that wouldn't shoot worth a darn was the Carcano. I'm definatly in the camp with the storm drain or man on the grassy knoll. . Most horrid excuse for a rifle I've ever had.

Before that fateful day in the 60's which, to my eyes, gave birth to irrational gun thinking, my buddy and I pooled our life savings together and ordered a 6.5 Carcano, mail order, I think it was an add in Boy's life magazine, for $6.50. It was crap! Also made me a believer in the grassy knoll theory. Ironically, 45 years later, who knew the 6.5 would be my favorite caliber. We wish we had the $39.99 to order an 03 Springfield. But that would have required that we cut an additional 50+ lawns. I think that was my first lesson of "Buy once, cry once".

Another for the 6.5x55 I love my 6.5-284 but the little swede just has a place in my heart!

Ya, the 6.5 Sweede is pretty amazing. A guy I know has one, military issue that has been slightly sporterized. It is unbelievably accurate. Still has the original barrel on it.
It will shoot. .25"-.4" groups with very basic reloading.

Duh! The 6.5 Sherman hands down:D Well, I guess I may have a little bias! Seriously, I designed the Sherman because I am a big 6.5 fan and shot a lot of elk with my A.I. before I designed the Sherman. There are a lot of things to like about it. Brass is abundant in many different brands. Case forming is quite easy. 3200' with 140's in a 26" barrel. Great accuracy and case life between 3100-3150". Because of the minimal body taper and 40 degree shoulder, case stretching is minimal. I have 1500 rounds through my 3 groove, 8 twist Lilja and it it still shoots .3-.4". Ya, it has lost a little accuracy. Highest velocity with a .470" case head possible and still has a good neck.(.300") It is my belief that the longer neck and 40 degree shoulder keep the flame point more confined in the case rather than directly into the throat which causes faster erosion. (picture the flame on a blow torch) hottest at the tip!
Two more guys have committed to building one as of last night. It will be fun to start comparing notes! I now have it available with a .294" neck and also a .297" (no turn) version. I also have a "max" version that has a .025" longer body and adds approx. 1 grain of capacity. My rifle will shoot almost ANY powder from 4350 up to Retumbo with less than .5 moa accuracy with 140 bergers or A-max. Let me know when you want one:D....rich

Rich, what is it based on? I have read some post about it but havent seen a pic of a formed case yet.

Riley

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.