Fair poke on the last day of rifle season.

huntem

Here is a picture of the buck that I harvested this past Saturday (Picture taken Sunday without my orange).

Semi custom Win M70 chambered in Rem 300 Ultra 26" SS w/Shrewd brake, Kahles 3x9 w/ TDS reticle, Harris bipod, Sworv 65mm, Leica 1200, 180gr Nos BT.

Shot was ranged at 477 quartering away, fairly thick cover so I was threading the needle. I was able to put it right in the boiler plant so he only ran 35 yards
353578.jpg

What state were you hunting in? Pa, Md, WVa?

I don't see the bipod? It was pretty cold Saturday to be bellying down in the snow. Actually the sun came out about 10:00 and it got pretty nice for a while out in western Maryland.

I live in SW Pa. I'll tell ya, the Rivers West clothing that I am wearing in the picture is awesome stuff. Besides a little cold never hurt anyone. The bipod was removed to fit in the gun case. I needed to skin the ol' boy to give the meat to my brother in law before the steeler game. I was in a hurry to be properly equipped.

[ QUOTE ]
Too late to get a pic of the entry/exit?

[/ QUOTE ] No I totally forgot. The entry and exit hole were almost the same size. I wondered about the expansion of the ballistic tip as the bullet never hit a solid bone. It entered and exited between the ribs. The goodies inside were pretty much mush...go cavitation.

Thats a very nice buck for pa. This was by far the worst season I have ever seen in PA. The game commission really has things screwed up. There were some larger bucks im my area but the poachers got most of them before season ended. The brown its down thing is working in Pa, in a few more years deer are going to be very rare. Just what they want less tree and vehicle damage. The game comission is getting paid off to kill the deer off and they are doing a very good job of it.

I have a 300 Ultra Sendero with a Shrewd brake also. I've shot about 20 rounds through it and with the brake and Limbsaver recoil pad, it's the cats ***. Recoils less than my 308!

[ QUOTE ]
The brown its down thing is working in Pa, in a few more years deer are going to be very rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

We (my friends/family) had a good season last year but wow what a difference in one year. We were very thin on the antlered deer. Some thing will have to change soon, we have way to many hunters looking to get Mr. Game Commmission.

[ QUOTE ]
Recoils less than my 308!

[/ QUOTE ]

We had 3 rifles chambered in 300 UMag on saturday. Mine was the only rifle with a break. My poor buddy on his first shot got bit in the nose (**** did he look dumb with a bandaid on his nose all day). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimm

PHOTO TRICKERY!!

On another site a guy posted this photo showing no deer and asked if anyone could see any deer there! Some of the jokers looked at the photo apparently for an extended length of time WITHOUT seeing A DEER and then the guy that posted the photo told them...."Neither did I and I sat there all day!"

So....I fixed them up a photo and reposted it as you see here! Amazing what you can do with a "puter"!!

But....I did let an 8 pointer walk day before yesterday! Son of a gun was "stocky as a yearling", big ole neck w/heavy shoulders but it was a young buck and his rack was only about as wide as his ears aka about 15"! He'll be there next year maybe and in the meantime....it "ain't" over yet!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.